How to think like a runner?

Options
jbeanv
jbeanv Posts: 32 Member
I want to call myself a runner. I just started C25k, this is my last day of week 1.

How do I get in the mindset to look forward to it? Thinking about running a 5k seems really overwhelming right now :ohwell:

Replies

• kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Just keep running! I didn't look forward to it at first and now I have to go on a run everyday or I feel a little bit empty. I love it, but it took some time!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    If you're running, you're a runner. Just keep going and you'll start to believe it.

Also, try following running pages on Facebook. I've flooded my newsfeed with running pages and every morning when I wake up I see all these really motivational posts and it helps me get excited to go for my run.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it. Set small goals for yourself. Create a new running playlist. Just run.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    I just go off at a nice easy pace to let my lungs and heart and body adjust to it and then just zone out! I sometimes think I'm in a big important race and I'm in front of some well know elite athlete. Or I can imagine I'm being watched by some hunky movie star guy! Sometimes music or listening to a talk on my MP3 distracts me too!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner.
    Visualize yourself running your best and claim your title.
    Good luck!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Don't think about running a 5k right now. Think about running the next 10 feet, think about the sun on your face, or what you're going to eat when you get home.

I'm on week 8 right now, and when I started it just didn't seem possible. I remember thinking there was no way I could ever run 3 minutes. But I'm up to 28 now and I really look forward to it. I used to eat ice cream in the evening as my stress reliever, now I run and the stress is gone so much faster.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Here is what I found for me:

At first I was like there is NO WAY this fat *kitten* will ever make it running a full 5k distance! I can barely run for the 60-90 seconds the app wants!!!

I worked slowly, this included slowing my running pace so I could build the endurance needed to increase running times and prevent injury.

I also suggest good music that you can 'get lost in' as you go. I honestly prefer the comedy channel on Pandora, but that is me.

Lastly starting today, on Week 6, day 1, I'm now running the 5k distance i have mapped out while doing the app. I finish the remainder of the distance after the app. has run. This is allowing me to condition more (hills and such), see my progress and work on seeing how all of my hard work is adding up to running the whole distance.

Good luck! It is very rewarding, especially as you get to the longer and longer distances/times!
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in 2009, ran my first half marathon in 2010, my first full this past January and I think I am starting now to feel like a runner. I still have about 20 pounds to lose and when I start "looking" more like a "runner" maybe it will sink in. But if you're running, you're a runner. By the end of week five on C25K, you will start to feel it more. You can do it. I did it, so anyone can. Good luck to you. And congratulations on taking that leap. You should be so proud of yourself. :) You're lapping all those couch potatoes.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Don't think about running a 5k right now. Think about running the next 10 feet, think about the sun on your face, or what you're going to eat when you get home.

I'm on week 8 right now, and when I started it just didn't seem possible. I remember thinking there was no way I could ever run 3 minutes. But I'm up to 28 now and I really look forward to it. I used to eat ice cream in the evening as my stress reliever, now I run and the stress is gone so much faster.

Also wanted to add This ^^

Don't think too far ahead, focus on each day. I started running January 6th of this year; at the time I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds. Monday I'm running my first race of 15km and I'm in training to run a full marathon in August (my longest run do to date has been 28km).
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I started c25k January 2012...I have never been a runner, in fact, have always hated it. After starting it and following it for a few weeks, I was hooked. I am now running up to 5 miles.

Just stick with it. Go at your own pace. Don't worry about doing it for anyone but you. :)
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started c25k January 2012...I have never been a runner, in fact, have always hated it. After starting it and following it for a few weeks, I was hooked. I am now running up to 5 miles.

Just stick with it. Go at your own pace. Don't worry about doing it for anyone but you. :)

How do you GO AT YOUR OWN PACE using c25k? my heart rate is nearly at max when I'm jogging.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    At first it was hard and I hated it. However I looked at it as a challenge and now I love it. If I get bored I change up the area I'm running in or my playlist.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

How do you GO AT YOUR OWN PACE using c25k? my heart rate is nearly at max when I'm jogging.

Slow down your pace.

This group is very supportive-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You are what you do. You run. You are a runner! :o)

You want to keep running? Do things that feed your running like eat quality foods and buy shoes that are appropriate for running and drink plenty of fluids to replace what you've lost. Make time in your day to run and make your daily run a priority. Do these things and you're not just thinking like a runner but you are a runner who's thinking!!!

Here are my recent thoughts (from my running person's head):

(1) gosh - my shoes are worn down again. I better buy a new pair before my knees start hurting. (Seriously. I checked my soles and had this thought 12 hours ago.)
    (2) I have loads of work tomorrow so I am going to get up earlier than usual to make sure I can run before the busy day starts.
    (3) I am about to run out of oatmeal. I must buy more because if I don't get enough carbs in right after my run I get "animal-monster brain" and start eating random stuff. If I eat random stuff I will be swollen for the following day and me knee will bother me when I run and I will be a slug.
    (4) I want to register for a race because I like looking forward to a running goal. Even if I can't do it now, I want a leash tugging me to the finish - I decided I will register for a marathon in May 2014 and a 1/2 in December. I am in no shape to run a full right now but by April I will be in top form if I actually register for the event and get my mind set on it.
    (5) I am thinking about where/when I will run when I am on vacation.

And it's worth sharing that the very first thing I do when I move to a new home is hop in the car and "measure" the distances - +1, +2, +3, +4... miles from the house. I make a path and that is my new gym!

You run. You think. You are a runner who thinks like a runner :wink:
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Just take it one week at a time. Don't look ahead.

I did c25k in 2010. I am still running. I never dreamed I could run a 5k much less the halfs I have now trained for.

It is overwhelming to look ahead so just take it day by day.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advice on here, really read what these people are saying. I did not think I was going to be a runner anymore, I means its been years since I have been able to run nor have wanted to run. Then I got this thought in my head that I might try the C25k app, it looks good and maybe do able. I did not have hope of "REALLY' doing it though. Well now I am at week 5 day 3 coming up. A whole 20 minutes of running, Wow !! If you look at the big picture it can be really intimidating, take it day by day and week by week. Don't think 5k yet, think 90 seconds, think 3 minutes, think quarter mile. Your body will become conditioned to do the workouts and it WILL get easier.

If you play the great tunes, don't watch the time (if you are on a treadmill) and you stay focused and listen to your body, you will find that you will come to love running. Its been an amazing journey and a difficult one at times.

I had been planning on doing my 5k in October and then another one in December, but I have been talked into doing a Half marathon in October and still my 5k a week later and I am looking forward to it. I know its going to be tough and I might not be ready for it, but my goal is to complete it, even if I have to walk some of it. The next goal will be to do better than the last time.

That is how you have to think, you can do this !!
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You are either born to run or you're not.

Being a runner has nothing to do with "C25K" (this sounds like some sort of muscle building supplement) or posting a pic on your facebook wall wearing a medal around your neck or driving your SUV with some attention seeking sticker that says 13.1 or 26.2.

Being a runner is a feeling.

It's taking those first few strides as you set off on yet another run and smiling because it's YOUR TIME. Because you are liberated and because you CAN. It's crying for no reason at all (probably endorphins though) three-fourths into your run with walkers looking at you crazy. It's that feeling of invincibility you get after running through "a wall" when you could've easily stopped 10 min. ago.

There are no programs that can outline this. There are no features on a Garmin to calculate this emotion. It comes from deep within and it's inside every human being. It's only up to you to discover it.

(I typed this with tears in my eyes. I did a 25 min. tempo run about 10 hours ago and still riding the high. It was only the 4th or 5th run I've done this year.... running has taken its toll on me as I tore my achilles three years ago and have taken it slowly ever since. It really means a lot to me on a spiritual level to lace 'em up and churn those legs. I cherish every second I'm out there. :smile: )
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It gets better - it really does.

For me, the first couple minutes of any run are tough - I feel out of breath, and uncoordinated. After 2 - 3 minutes, though, things smooth out, and the run becomes simple. The problem is that, for the first few weeks of C25K, you don't run long enough to get past the "I think I'm dying" feeling of the first few minutes. BUT YOU WILL! You will still feel challenged, but you will also start to relax and not spend every single second of the run thinking about how lousy you feel. I am heading into Week 9 of C25K, and am registered for a 5K on July 4th. Have I run 5K yet? No. But at the end of my week 8 28-minute runs, I knew that I could keep on going if I wanted to (by contrast, at the end of my Week 2 and Week 3 runs, I was d-o-n-e). I'm already toying with the idea of working towards a 10K. So hang in there, tough it out, and know that things will look a lot better in a few weeks.
  • ravenwolf99
    Options
    First: Yay for you! I was the same way about whether I was "really a runner" or not when I started. Don't think in terms of distance. Focus on time. It's just 20 minutes, etc. I found it helpful at the beginning to focus on how I felt at the end of the run so I knew why I did it, especially on those days that seem harder than others. Such as how much energy I had and how calm I feel. Hope that helps. Run Happy!! :)
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You are either born to run or you're not.

Hogwash. You can become anything you will yourself to become. The joy in running isn't always immediately apparent. You have to dedicate yourself to discovering the gifts of running. On the surface, running is agony. Beneath the surface, there are special gifts that running offers to those who are patient and determined enough to discover.