Exercise question

Options
I am carrying approximately 220 lbs on my 5'9 frame. I'm 42 years old, little to no exercise previously. Will I kill my knees or ankles if I start jogging on my neighborhood sidewalks?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you should make sure to get fitted with running shoes and start out slow. A program like C25K is great for this as it builds you up slowly. If you start feeling joint pain, then I would recommend switching to a low impact cardio routine such as cycling.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Agree on the c25k program and good shoes. And if you can, find a dirt path or trail, or a high school track to run on. Sidewalks are the worst impact, streets are a little better, but a dirt or track surface would be best.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    ^^^What they said.

Have fun and best of luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am carrying approximately 220 lbs on my 5'9 frame. I'm 42 years old, little to no exercise previously. Will I kill my knees or ankles if I start jogging on my neighborhood sidewalks?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1029635-knees-running-the-truth
  • mollykathog
    Options
    Could you recommend a good running shoe? Currently I am walking in Fila. Its just what I had already. I am noticing a slight pain on my left knee already and I just walk on sidewalk, But I am on my feet walking constantly throughout the day.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Could you recommend a good running shoe? Currently I am walking in Fila. Its just what I had already. I am noticing a slight pain on my left knee already and I just walk on sidewalk, But I am on my feet walking constantly throughout the day.

Everyone is different when it comes to feet and running, for me saucony is the only way to go, but for others it is Nike. The best bet is to go to a store that specializes in running i.e. fleet foot. They cost more, but at least once you know what is best for your feet you won't have to go to them but once.