Knees & running.....the truth

Options
BrianSharpe
BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
If you want to run but you`re worried about running wrecking your knees read this........

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/5-things-runners-should-know-about-knees?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Training-_-ThingsAboutKnees

If anything, running will make you awesome (not that I`m biased :wink: )

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Good article. Thanks!
  • coopers11
    coopers11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Running does make you awesome, however I AM having a bit of trouble with my knee (probably from overuse). Just a little pinchy when I walk!

Any good strength routine you could recommend or a taping technique to help it get better more quickly?

Thanks!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Running does make you awesome, however I AM having a bit of trouble with my knee (probably from overuse). Just a little pinchy when I walk!

Any good strength routine you could recommend or a taping technique to help it get better more quickly?

Thanks!
    What made my knees stop hurting was changing my running form. Google, Good Form Running
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    So very very true. Unfortunately, it will not stop people from using their knees as an excuse to not run. In my experience, it has ALWAYS been cheap and ill-fitted running shoes that cause problems with hips, knees, iliotibial band, etc.

My knees are much happier after I started running and shed the 80 pounds of fat that was crushing them.

Shoes, shoes, shoes.

foot-type-6024_0.jpg
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Great article!! Having arthritic knees I can relate!! Switching to more of a fore foot strike definately helps along with losing the weight.
  • coopers11
    coopers11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll be back on the road again soon!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    What made my knees stop hurting was changing my running form. Google, Good Form Running

Agreed.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    foot-type-6024_0.jpg

This isn't right.

The neutral runner should be in a neutral shoe.

Cushioning can come in any of the three types of shoes, neutral, stability or motion control.
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That was a good article. I miss running!
    I did a few 5k's..and I think that is all I can do at this point. My issue is that I have had 5 knee surgeries! Three reconstructions and two orthoscopic.
    I have been basically told that "the only time you should be running...if someone is running after you".
    I still sneak a little in every once in awhile.

How do I find out more about the forefront strike? When I run now (on a golf course for extra cushioning)..I try a mid strike. I am constantly worried about my knees :ohwell:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    How do I find out more about the forefront strike?
    Forefoot and midfoot provide the same benefit. I'm usually forefoot when running fast and midfoot when running normally.

Google, Good Form Running. It's more than just foot strike. It includes foot placement under your center of mass and body alignment.
  • Fitwam
    Options
    [/quote]Forefoot and midfoot provide the same benefit. I'm usually forefoot when running fast and midfoot when running normally.

Google, Good Form Running. It's more than just foot strike. It includes foot placement under your center of mass and body alignment.
    [/quote]

Thanks! There is hope for me after all! :drinker:
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    foot-type-6024_0.jpg

This isn't right.

The neutral runner should be in a neutral shoe.

Cushioning can come in any of the three types of shoes, neutral, stability or motion control.

I wish I learned this chart in highschool. It would've saved me a lot of money and pain.
    I wish they made the same designation for dressier work shoes. I don't like having to use/buy custom orthotics at $400 a pair (and rising! I think they cost $500 now)

I agree with you on the neutral shoe. I have flat feet (completely collapsed arches) and can use Motion Control or Stability shoe. I highly recommend this article: http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2009/04/the-best-running-shoes-for-flat-feet-summer-2009/

Nike Zoom Structure Triax+ is a great series of shoes.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Forefoot and midfoot provide the same benefit. I'm usually forefoot when running fast and midfoot when running normally.

[/quote]

Thanks! There is hope for me after all! :drinker:
    [/quote]

For sure there is hope for you!!! I have had 9 operations on the same knee. Started with a scope to remove 1/4 of the miniscus 30 years ago. The following year I tore the ACL and had that replaced with Patela tendon and a little more miniscus removed. A year and half later I tore the replacement ACL and basically destroyed what was left of the miniscus. I've never had the ACL reconstructed again. I've had various other surgeries to clean up cartilage and remove staples/screws from the original reconstruction. I've tried running a few times over the years with a lot of knee pain so I focussed on lifting and got really strong but really heavy too which made it worse when I tried to run. I finally lost some weight doing p90x and was able to start running on the treadmill. After a little more weight loss and about a year of running 3-4 miles 5 times a week on a treadmill my knees could handle 4 miles on the road every few days. A friend introduced me to the concept mid-foot striking about this time. I don't normally use that style because I feel i'm slower that way but can go to it if my knee is particularly achy on any given day. I decided a few weeks ago I wanted to run a 13.1 this fall and started training for it. My first long run I ran 10 miles in less than 90 minutes and felt very good. I've done a couple more 10 milers without problem. The worst pain I get in my knee right now is on the where the reconstruct was stapled to the lower leg, I'm not sure why it aches there but I know it isn't structural so I pretty much ignore it.
    Start on a treadmill at a 1.5 incline to help cushion the landing, get cushioned shoes, try the Good Form running and work up slowly. Good luck.
  • Fitwam
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for this inspiration! And I thought I had it bad! Mine are divided with both knees, two reconstructions on left (ACL and miniscus) and one scope, then one reconstruction on right (ACL) and a scope.
    I am doing the Livefit trainer with Jamie Eason off bodybuilding.com right now and really feel that I am building strength in quads and hams. My surgeries were over a 10 year period (freshman yr college basketball)...and just never could give up the game (even playing pickup ball after grad school and first "big girl" job). The last surgery was in '95.
    I really am inspired. I think if I can get the weight down about 10 more lbs..it will help too! When I do run on the golf course..sometimes I get a pain in the patella area of my left knee. Had a bout with plantar fasciitis too! (this after going to a specialty shop to have my gait checked for best shoe support). Needless to say, i return those shoes!
    But there is NOTHING like the endorphins after a run!
    Can't wait to read up and be a more educated about the foot placement etc.