Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Extreme Ironing is most definately an exercise
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    FINALLY !!!! The answer I was looking for. Someone posted 300 calories. I'll take that.

Thank you. :wink:

Seriously??
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's exercise. It's also pointless. ;^) I haven't ironed anything in years.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Arnold would be proud.

h8794739B
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Lol!!!
    I think we underestimate our daily activities. Women used to be more active and in better shape in previous eras when there weren't as many helpful appliances as there are now. But they were working at home full time, and that's not something common in this century.
    That said I prefer to do two hours of the most straining exercise than ironing a whole bucket of clothes lol. I still don't log it and i don't log any housekeeping chores. There are days when i wish i did though lol but on those days i just listen to my body and if i feel hungry i eat more, even if it goes a bit over my supposed TDEE (it's hard to know the exact number anyway).

There's people who log absolutely every single daily activity on MFP, it amazes me. They must burn more calories logging it all than while actually performing every task. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's better than sitting.
  • denk81
    denk81 Posts: 4
    Options
    Ha ha ha ha you guys are so funny. Love this pic, very apt.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes, ironing is totally exercise. It involves lifting metal. By my calculations, it burns approximately 8000 calories an hour. Quite simply the best exercise of all time. It makes deadlifts, squats, and running COMBINED look like sleeping. Fact.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Lots of people think that lifting a 5 pound dumbell a dozen or two times is "exercise" and is going to give them amazing arms, so why not.
  • denk81
    denk81 Posts: 4
    Options
    Arnold would be proud.

h8794739B
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    is this you?
    126980.jpg
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    That's why I love my BodyMedia Fit. It calculates what I'm doing all day...no guesswork. :)

And lighten up people...geez.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Lol.

I just want to say to those who log cleaning as exercise: I wear a Fitbit. I cleaned my house for about 5 hours last weekend; we're talking scrubbing floors, toilets, vacuuming, dusting, laundry, all up and down stairs. I was sweating like a barn animal, well, because I just do. However, my activity calories from my Fitbit were just under 300. If I entered 300 minutes of Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort here it would have been 1106 calories.

TL; DR: don't log cleaning; it's work but it ain't exercise.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Sweating doesn't necessarily mean you're burning calories. If that were so then we would be able to lose weight just by sun tanning or sitting in the sauna. Working over the hot iron will cause you to sweat but that is just dehydration. Not to say all of it is. I'm sure you did burn some calories. Any movement or work burns some calories.

The only way to know for sure is to use a heart rate monitor.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Speed ironing? I'm not sure if this is a joke question or not. I iron very slowly and carefully, correctly IMO.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Lol.

I just want to say to those who log cleaning as exercise: I wear a Fitbit. I cleaned my house for about 5 hours last weekend; we're talking scrubbing floors, toilets, vacuuming, dusting, laundry, all up and down stairs. I was sweating like a barn animal, well, because I just do. However, my activity calories from my Fitbit were just under 300. If I entered 300 minutes of Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort here it would have been 1106 calories.

TL; DR: don't log cleaning; it's work but it ain't exercise.

Totally agree! I never log housework because I consider that part of my daily activity which is already taken into account.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    39191344.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is sitting in a sauna considered exercise?

This!^

Sweat does NOT equal exercise.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    this is a joke right?

if not, your first ever post = epic failure with a laughable factor of 10...

maybe you are sweating from the heat of the iron on your face?

I thought the big 'LOL' and smile on the end made it obvious it was a joke..

X+superntaural+exactly.gif
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This kind of ironing?

tumblr_m2g08dKYkp1r9xvu7o1_500.jpg

I love this Comment. SOOO WITTY