Women Who Lift

Options
gr8grl68
gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
I desperately need to get back on the exercise train and do like to lift but I don't really have a routine. I'm looking for a good program/book/website, etc. that has helped you achieve your fitness goals--I want to see results!!! Can you recommend what I might look into and share any tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Start by reading and perusing a couple of books. Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women (good read, overly complicated program) and then get on the Strong Lifts website and read that.

Strong Lifts might be the most user friendly for a beginner lifter, but figure out what you like and what makes you comfortable.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I second stronglifts. If you're starting out, it is a great plan and easy enough
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Start by reading and perusing a couple of books. Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women (good read, overly complicated program) and then get on the Strong Lifts website and read that.

Strong Lifts might be the most user friendly for a beginner lifter, but figure out what you like and what makes you comfortable.

This.

I did weight machines at the gym (didn't have free weights there) before quitting and buying my own free weights for home. I can't believe the difference using free weights and following a program (I used stronglifts) made.

IMG_1288-copy_zpsbe03b7d3.jpg

IMG_1293-copy_zps4b1f37b1.jpg

IMG_1297-copy_zpsd190c3c9.jpg
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options

This.

I did weight machines at the gym (didn't have free weights there) before quitting and buying my own free weights for home. I can't believe the difference using free weights and following a program (I used stronglifts) made.

IMG_1288-copy_zpsbe03b7d3.jpg

IMG_1293-copy_zps4b1f37b1.jpg

IMG_1297-copy_zpsd190c3c9.jpg

WOW! Did you cycle bulk/cut at all, or is that recomposition purely down to lifting?
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    Options
    Lorinalyn, You are so inspiring! I saw this in one of the other threads and you're responsible for me getting back to lifting after a decade. And continuing on till I see results! I'd love to know what program you followed.

For the OP, I bought Strong Curves by Contreras based on someone's description as it being a simpler format than NWOLFW. It's a very well thought out enjoyable read. And has different approaches based on what changes one wants to see and equipment available.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, and 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler are both excellent reads, with great programs.

For a true beginner, I agree with the others, Stronglifts is a fantastic beginner program, will give you great baseline strength, plus fundamentals. Then you can branch out to a program like 5/3/1 (my current program.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    WOW! Did you cycle bulk/cut at all, or is that recomposition purely down to lifting?

Not intentionally. :wink: I had some periods where I lacked the mojo to track my food, a break from exercise when I broke my ankle, and gained a few pounds here and there, but I never did a "real" bulk cycle.

While I was doing stronglifts, I kept upping my calories because I Iost a little too much bodyfat and didn't like it on me. So there probably would have been more of a difference if I didn't like how bony my chest looked. :laugh:
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this--I appreciate the feedback and am looking into it more! Your pictures are certainly very inspiring too! :happy:
  • Mellzicious
    Options
    Jamie Eason's LiveFit Program is free online. I love it. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html