There are no dumb questions, except maybe this one....

Options
Hahaha....

When it comes to how long you've done cardio, do you include your warm up and cool down time? So, for example, yesterday I warmed up for 5 minutes, jogged for 20 minutes (which, FYI, there will be a post on the bragging board about that momentarily, haha) then did another 5 minutes to cool down. Would you consider that 30 minutes, or 20 minutes?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I typically don't include warmup or coodown, but there's certainly no hard and fast rule saying that you can't if you don't want to.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I definitely include my warm up and cooldown. I'm burning calories while doing them both so I add them in my exercise diary.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I include everything.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I also include warm up and cool down. its being active no matter how you look at it so count it :bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    include everything, but if you use an HRM, make sure (assuming your HRM doesn't account for it already) that you subtract your normal resting calories per hour (or portion there of) from the total. Many (most?) HRM's don't subtract what you would burn anyway without exercising, you can be unknowingly giving 100 or more calories to eat that you didn't think of.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I count it - you're still burning calories even if it's not as many. Way to go jogging for 20 minutes!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    When I run, I include my warm up and cool down, but I do it in two parts (1 running and 1 walking).
  • crc822001
    crc822001 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also log it as two parts i.e. 10 minutes walking and 20 minutes running
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I count my warm-up & cool-down but like the others said, I also break it down as walking separately from the jogging. Great job to you on the jogging too btw!! That's awesome!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Since I use a HRM when I workout, I log everything from when I step into the gym to a few minutes after I'm done when my heart rate is back in a normal range. I also do subtract out one calorie for each minute I worked out for my normal resting calories.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    When I turn on my HRM, I record from when I start including warmup etc
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    I include it as well - when I use my nike + it gives me a break down of my ave pace and the calories burn. So that includes my warmup and cool down.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I could warm up and cool down as well. If I am counting the whole thing, I usually just do the total and average out the mph (I use mapmyrun to get distance and mph). If I am guessing, I usually count the warmup/cooldown as about 2.0 or 2.5 mph walking. And I count stretching too! :) I figure I am burning calories so I might as well count them.

Great job on jogging 20 minutes straight!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I always include warm up and cool down.
  • rebchandler
    Options
    I include all of it! Heck, if I could include time spent walking between the couch and refrigerator...I'd do that to... :laugh:
  • Squash97
    Squash97 Posts: 84
    Options
    If my body is in motion, I add it. If I am standing or sitting and stretching, I don't. It just depends on how vigorous the workout seems. I wouldn't stress too much about it...