How to cure a sweet tooth??

Options
Gummdrp
Gummdrp Posts: 4
Hi, I have a major sweet tooth for things like red vines, gummy bears, skittles, etc. My problem is, I can start eating them and then want something chocolately, then salty then crunchy then back to sweet all in a matter of 10 mins. Like it doesn't satisfy me. Any ideas of how can curb my severe sweet tooth? Any products I should try?

Replies

• smo_bun
    smo_bun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fruit would be the first thing I would try. Lots of fiber and nutrients plus the sweet taste. If you don't like that, dark chocolate, anything above 60 percent cocoa. Metabolism boost!! My favorite is butter toffee flavored roasted almonds. Sweet, salty, crunchy AND filling. Yeah, people are like "Oh god, nuts have fat! So bad for you!!" But a handful gets rid of that craving super fast!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You need to teach yourself self control. I'm not saying it's easy but you can teach yourself. Start slowly and don't keep too much of what you crave in the house.

Also, realize that distracting yourself by getting outside and focusing your mind elsewhere can help in the meantime.
  • ampjorgensen
    ampjorgensen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I dunno the 80 cal greek yogurt bar (frozen treat) seriously has made dieting rewarding. i get freaking excited to eat them. I know Jamba Juice also makes some that you can get at walmart. DELISH and low cal. Just saying those things are tasty
  • blissfullah
    Options
    Like ice-cream? Peel some bananas and freeze them. Once they are frozen throw them in a blender and blend! You will have delicious banana ice-cream. Sometimes I add cinnamon or honey OR peanut butter!
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Fruit. I have this issue too, and the only thing that I've found stops the processed sugar craving is fruit. I don't crave anything afterwards, and if I do, I have some spicy almonds and call it good.

It's a mental thing that you have to overcome.
  • Ilona_2013
    Ilona_2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this suggestion! Just happened to have a few bananas and will throw them in the freezer tonight for the weekend snack :-)

Like ice-cream? Peel some bananas and freeze them. Once they are frozen throw them in a blender and blend! You will have delicious banana ice-cream. Sometimes I add cinnamon or honey OR peanut butter!
    [/quote]
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    reading ur first post was like reading my own mind lol,
    once you teach urself the self disapline to avoid the sugar after around 2 weeks you stop craving it..
    I bought from a low carb store sugar free syrup that you can add to tea or coffee.. or anything really, i got white chocolate flavour but there are loads of flavours which are calorie and carb free.
    oh and that banana ice cream sounds really good ive got to try it!!
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ooooh and hartleys sugar free jelly!! like 4 cals for a pot!
  • shannonerdelyi
    shannonerdelyi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Trying to avoid snack-attacks is sound advice, but I am happier switching to "healthier" snack alternatives. Give these a try:

- Frozen bananas (as is or blended), with 95% fat free coolwhip
    - Air popped popcorn with a light topping (taco seasoning, icing sugar/cinnamon/cocoa)
    - Chickpea cookie dough, frozen in tiny balls (kind of reminiscent of reese bites)
    - Pistachios and almonds
    - Homemade trail mix with popcorn (popcorn really makes it seem like you're eating more than you are)
    - Fudge balls (dates, walnuts, and cocao powder in a food processor)
    - Fried pickles and dip (baked breaded pickles with greek yogurt, garlic/onion powder dip)
  • faye_andrea
    faye_andrea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you have a food processor this is my go-to snack/breakfast when I need something sweet (coming from another MAJOR sweet tooth!)

All natural peanut butter bars:
    -1 cup pitted dates
    -1 cup unsalted peanuts
    -pinch of sea salt
    -tsp of coconut oil

-In food processor, chop up peanuts until they are fairly fine (but not to the peanut butter stage). Remove peanuts and set aside.
    -Put dates in food processor and process until it forms a big sticky ball. This might take awhile.
    -Leave dates in food processor, add peanuts back in, along with sea salt and coconut oil. Mix until combined
    -Lay out the "dough" on a piece of wax paper/parchment/saran wrap. Place another piece of wax or parchment paper/saran wrap over top and roll out until you have reached the desired thickness for your bars. (I find if I don't press down hard enough my bars end up kind of crumbly so make sure you mash it together real good!)
    -Put in fridge for a few hours to set. Once set, cut into squares. I usually divide it into 6 squares. If you search "larabars homemade peanut butter" in the food database, that is my recipe which contains the nutritional info for one bar (based on one sixth of the batch).

Sometimes if I'm short on time/too lazy to make a batch (or if you don't have a food processor), I will just pack about 8 dates and a tablespoon of peanut butter to dip the dates into for a quick sweet snack!

Another suggestion is go into a tea store like Davids Tea/Teavana etc. and get some desserty flavored teas. Drinking a cup of that always cures my cravings and if not, by the time I finish the tea I've usually got my mind focused on something else anyway. www.davidstea.com - you can order online! Favorites for sweets cravings are the birthday cake tea, red velvet cake tea and movie night tea!
  • MaJacobs75
    MaJacobs75 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have that same problem, and its very frustrating when I just can't control those hungers for sweet things. I came across a yogurt called yocrunch, its vanilla yogurt with mini M&Ms that you can mix it with and its pretty tasty! You can buy it in a pack of 4 and the little packs are a perfect serving size so you don't go overboard. Otherwise chocolate covered almonds would be another that I've tried, just a small hand full would be enough for me for getting my sweets and almonds are packed with proteins that's good for you.

But it all boils down to the amount you eat, keep to the serving sizes and you should be all right.
  • TitzMcGeez
    TitzMcGeez Posts: 104
    Options
    fruit!!! It's usually sweet, healthy and it helps keep the sweet tooth cravings at bay
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    I like things that are small so that I get to count out my serving - it makes me feel like I get LOTS of food when I am really just eating a serving. I also put snacks in tiny little soy sauce bowls (like the ones at sushi restuarants) so it looks like a lot. My favorite ~150 cal snacks right now are dried kiwi slices and honey-roasted almonds.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    While fruit is good, it doesn't usually cut it when I want candy or chocolate. Hard candy (a few pieces) and low-cal fudge popsicles can help curve the craving. Or ask someone to split the dessert with you. I ask my husband to eat half and that helps me.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about how you work out your day. If you crave sweet things, start your day with something sweet. Postpone dessert to breakfast if you have to. Have a salty lunch like bacon sandwich. Or you could snack on wasabi peas! They're crunchy, salty and not too bad for calories.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am there with you! I do fruit a lot. And I am a big ice cream lover so frozen fruit like grapes are very good to me. I also like freezing a single cup of yogurt for about an hour to an hour and a half. I do carbmaster kroger brand because it's okay 60 calories and have really good flavors that do the trick for me. For example on some flavors is cinnamon roll, chocolate covered raspberry and sooo many more. I love all the different dessert like flavors for only 60 calories and 8g of protein.

Also what I do which might not be the answer you are looking for but I eat that item I am craving like you like sweet and salty. Have 1 serving of what you want and take very small bites so you really enjoy it.

Best of luck to you!
  • blwood860
    blwood860 Posts: 31
    Options
    I just recently discovered dark chocolate almonds (not chocolate covered, more like chocolate "dusted"). I usually eat no more than 2 or 3, and I'm good! You can find them at any grocery store.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like those 100 Calorie Cocoa Roast Almonds. Chocolate-y and crunchy.
    Also those Edy's all fruit bars in the freezer section are good.
    Or pop 6 regular dates for about 120 calories. Those usually do it for me.

Another tip is just don't buy it. If it's not in my house, then I can't eat it. :happy:
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    100 calorie pop secret kettle corn has helped a lot...drink water every time you have a craving. it sounds odd but you get full because of all the water, and after about 2 weeks it doesn't get as bad. in the meantime though you can get a cup of plain non fat greek yogurt and blend with frozen pineapple with a little bit of honey and a graham cracker and it's like a pina colada dream :) good luck and you can do it!