is it bad to be going way over on protein??

Options
Just curious if it is bad to be going way over on protien everyday?? I am using this in conjuction with Medifast and most of their foods are high protien -- throwing me over my "daily goal amount" usually by lunch....

Replies

• MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Most would say that your daily protein intake (grams) should be equal to your lean body weight (pounds).

If your lean body weight is 125 pounds, you should have 125 grams of protein per day.

MFP's default protein setting is very low.
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    I'm always over my protein. I don't think there's any harm in it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    No -- people HAVE had issues with excess protein, but they either had a medical reason to be on a low-protein diet, or they were eating ridiculous numbers like 300-500g/day. MFP's default protein is set to a minimum.
  • cavanerwifey
    cavanerwifey Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Most would say that your daily protein intake (grams) should be equal to your lean body weight (pounds).

If your lean body weight is 125 pounds, you should have 125 grams of protein per day.

MFP's default protein setting is very low.

That's a great little tool to remember! Thanks for sharing. :D
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    No. I make an effort to go over. Last time I checked, my lean body mass was 111lbs. I try to eat between 150 and 200 grams a day.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    What are you diary settings? Mine are 35/35/30. I think it depends what your goals are. I'd probably pay closer attention to the carbs than the proteins, IMO. I'm no expert. But I think your age makes a difference too, older you get you need a little more protein from what I understand.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    For the past 6-8 weeks, i've been eating a lot more protein than the "1g per lbs of body weight" and i haven't noticed any ill effects. I've lost weight and inches around my waist but still have the same size arms and legs and chest. That was with protein macro set at 35%. Now i set it to 30% so it's about 30-35g less a day. I'm going to see how that goes. Trial and error, i'm finding out what works for me.
  • gabrielleroberts3
    Options
    Just make sure that you eat plenty of fiber...you don't want tummy troubles.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have asked people about this on here before - I am always mystified why the protein allowance on MFP is so low :huh: I'm over on my protein most days, and that's just with eating some kind of meat or fish with my lunch and dinner - I never have high protein drinks or bars, or anything like that!

I think certain people with specific medical conditions need to be careful (kidney problems spring to mind, but there are probably others). However, for healthy people I really don't think it matters. I just ignore the protein total now! :smile:
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Excellent insight on Protein myths from Layne Norton.....

BioLayne Video Log 4 - Myths About Protein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Negative
  • ccllnply
    ccllnply Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It'd probably be bad to not go way over. The protein limits on MFP are ridiculously low, even for minimums.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no, I am always over..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that you eat plenty of fiber...you don't want tummy troubles.

ehhh??? stomach problems from protein, do elaborate for us?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The default is probably based on the US RDA which is considered by many experts to be very low.

I have asked people about this on here before - I am always mystified why the protein allowance on MFP is so low :huh: I'm over on my protein most days, and that's just with eating some kind of meat or fish with my lunch and dinner - I never have high protein drinks or bars, or anything like that!

I think certain people with specific medical conditions need to be careful (kidney problems spring to mind, but there are probably others). However, for healthy people I really don't think it matters. I just ignore the protein total now! :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP's defaults than don't worry about going over, you probably need it..lol. Check out the Eat Train Progress group. They have a sticky there to help you figure out ho to calculate your protein, carb, and fat macros and how to change them in MFP.