How long before you saw results with strength training?

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
So....I've recently begun to incorporate more weights and strength/resistance/toning training in to my workouts.

I do pilates (Mari Winsor) and I do the circuit at the gym in addition to a good amount of cardio.

I'm not expecting overnight or miraculous results...I'm just asking for stories on how it worked for you...how long did it take after you started weights to start seeing a big change? Am I talking months...? Weeks? I do think I'm doing something right with both the circuit and pilates because my body is usually good and tired/sore after...

I'm just wondering how long it'll be before I start to see an increase in muscle mass and a decrease in fat %.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You aren't likely to see an increase in muscle mass unless you're eating at a surplus and lifting heavier weights. You may see an increase in definition (which I think many people refer to as looking "toned") as you lose fat. Results are going to vary greatly depending on your deficit and type of weights you're using.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    3-4 weeks ill give you.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    A big change? >Year
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    You aren't likely to see an increase in muscle mass unless you're eating at a surplus and lifting heavier weights. You may see an increase in definition (which I think many people refer to as looking "toned") as you lose fat. Results are going to vary greatly depending on your deficit and type of weights you're using.

I'm trying for lighter weights with more reps...and the pilates is about resistance...I have heard other people say they had good results with a combination of those and cardio...

I guess I'm just not as familiar with weights as I'd like to be. I'm looking to decrease fast% and see more definition...I don't want to bulk up or get "muscular"...just be leaner.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    you're not going to have very much results at all with 'light' wt and high reps.
    you need to keep increasing the weight, progressively.
    if you can do more than 5-12 reps of a weight, then it's too light.
    if you don't challenge your muscle, not much is going to happen.

it's physically impossible for you to bulk up, even if you did use really heavy weights,on a calorie deficit
    and really difficult even if you're eating at a surplus of calories and using heavy weights.
    building muscle doesn't happen by accident, it's hard work.

and ditch the machines. use the barbell, you'll save time, get better results, and feel so much more confident.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    You may not see an increase in LBM and decrease in BF% as a result of any strength training you do while in a deficit. But what you WILL see if you progressively increase the weight you are using is an increase in strength. And that is a good thing. But you must progressively increase the weight you are using. As Katy indicated, there are regimens that are more ideally suited to add strength than what you are doing, but you can get results with almost any approach as long as you add weight over time. I started with machines and was a weakling. But I added weight to my circuit training every time I could and ended up doubling the weight I could move. Then I stalled for a long time and was frustrated. So I switched to the more efficient compound barbell strength training and I am adding strength once again.

But I have been unable to add a single ounce of muscle after all of this strength training. I guess I am in the majority of the populous that cannot add muscle mass while in a caloric deficit. I'm ok with that. I lost 70 lbs of fat while maintaining my LBM and that has resulted in a body that I like. I had a lot of good muscle under all that fat and now that I am at my goal weight, it looks good now that I can see it.

So, eat right to lose weight. Strength train to maintain muscle mass while losing weight. When you get to your goal weight, then you can start looking at ways to add muscle mass.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    You may not see an increase in LBM and decrease in BF% as a result of any strength training you do while in a deficit. But what you WILL see if you progressively increase the weight you are using is an increase in strength. And that is a good thing. But you must progressively increase the weight you are using. As Katy indicated, there are regimens that are more ideally suited to add strength than what you are doing, but you can get results with almost any approach as long as you add weight over time. I started with machines and was a weakling. But I added weight to my circuit training every time I could and ended up doubling the weight I could move. Then I stalled for a long time and was frustrated. So I switched to the more efficient compound barbell strength training and I am adding strength once again.

But I have been unable to add a single ounce of muscle after all of this strength training. I guess I am in the majority of the populous that cannot add muscle mass while in a caloric deficit. I'm ok with that. I lost 70 lbs of fat while maintaining my LBM and that has resulted in a body that I like. I had a lot of good muscle under all that fat and now that I am at my goal weight, it looks good now that I can see it.

So, eat right to lose weight. Strength train to maintain muscle mass while losing weight. When you get to your goal weight, then you can start looking at ways to add muscle mass.

Thanks to you and Katy! Great advice...I'll start upping the weights (I've been doing that gradually 5 lbs or so), but I'm dead serious about trying to get more toned...bulky isn't really what I'm after and I usually try not to eat over my goal for the day.

Thanks so much for the advice!
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    I think it really depends on how many sets/reps you're doing with how much weight. When I started to lift heavy, I could see changes in my lower half in about four weeks. My butt was more round, my quads were a little more pronounced, etc. If you're using light weights with high reps you're likely to see minimal to no changes since you'll be toning.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    So today I worked on arms...and did some cardio. I'm planning to target a different area each day and do a combination of weights and cardio.

Any routines to suggest? I'm open to any info you might have for me.

I'll fully admit I have NO CLUE what to do when it comes to free weights so I usually tend to go to the machines.
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump...i.would like to.know too
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did machines for about a year before quitting the gym and buying a barbell and bench set for home, because my gym didn't have free weights. Best decision I ever made. :smile:

I saw results from using machines, but I was amazed at the difference using free weights made, almost immediately. This is after 4 months.

IMG_1293-copy_zps4b1f37b1.jpg

IMG_1288-copy_zpsbe03b7d3.jpg

IMG_1297-copy_zpsd190c3c9.jpg

As for what to do, I strongly suggest following an established beginner's lifting plan, such as Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Woman, or Stronglifts 5x5.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did machines for about a year before quitting the gym and buying a barbell and bench set for home, because my gym didn't have free weights. Best decision I ever made. :smile:

I saw results from using machines, but I was amazed at the difference using free weights made, almost immediately. This is after 4 months.

IMG_1293-copy_zps4b1f37b1.jpg

IMG_1288-copy_zpsbe03b7d3.jpg

IMG_1297-copy_zpsd190c3c9.jpg

As for what to do, I strongly suggest following an established beginner's lifting plan, such as Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Woman, or Stronglifts 5x5.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

OMG sooooo bulky....j/k

I love how women straight away say they do not want to be bulky. If most men can't get bulky as evident in 99% of the gyms people go to then what chance do women think they will get bulky? To get bulky takes years and years of weight training and with a calorie surplus with a high protein diet. BUT what you will get is a better physique like the lady that posted her pictures in this thread. Great job!

THIS is exactly what people should be doing right off the bat. Straight in to a well established weight training programme with progressive overload.

4-6 weeks to see some change in your strength training if you are eating properly. You have to decide what you want to do to get faster results. If you are at calorie deficit it will take longer to show results but you will get them. More so because you are a beginner to weights. If you at at surplus it will be easier to get results and you will have more energy to train. Remember your body will not build muscle without the right nutrients. You have to get your protein in EVERYDAY even when not at the gym.

Koing
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is after 4 months.

You are officially epic, well played you
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for about a month and I already notice a pretty big difference. I do the standard barbell lifts and their variations (squats, deadlifts, presses), with some kettle bell and body weight stuff thrown in, twice a week.

If you're already at a low enough bf%, you should notice swelling in your muscles from water/glycogen retention for recovery pretty much immediately. I was fairly preoccupied with my muscles the first week of experiencing this phenomenon, lol.

If you're eating above your TDEE you can expect to gain about a pound of muscle per month. If you're eating below TDEE then your progress is going to be more about fat loss and less about strength training.
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    3-4 weeks ill give you.

Your avatar wins the whole internet.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Been lifting almost 2 years now. Haven't seen any physical changes as a result. I'm quite a bit stronger though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Strength gains you should notice right away if you're doing an intelligently progressive program. Body composition takes a long time...it's a long term investment. Changes will be subtle along the way, but body re-composition is detail work...as with any detail work it takes time.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Been lifting almost 2 years now. Haven't seen any physical changes as a result. I'm quite a bit stronger though.

No physical changes after 2 years??? :noway:
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am still 20-22 pounds too heavy (or heck, even more) for my height/body type, but I see definition happening fairly quickly when I lift regularly. I see it in my shoulders and collar bone area first, and my flabby arms last. Well, I see it on my forearms, just not the wings that I have...