Losing last 8lbs HELP PLEASE!!

Options
So although I have had mfp for a long time I have been very selfish and only used it for calorie counting not to make friends so in a way I am new to the community lol! I have no idea if this question is in the right place so apologies if it isn't!

So i'm down to losing those last few stubborn lbs (8 for me) and they just do not seem to be shifting :( I've tried everything! I already do HIIT workout and I include strength in this but I don't know whether my strength side is very good, what do people do for this side? At the moment I'm doing calisthenics and yoga (Jillian Michaels is my absolute hero lol!) I have cut down my calorie intake again! I don't eat red meat and I've cut out alcohol during the week and sweet things (so unfair!). I have also been recommended green tea which I have started to drink lol!

Is anyone in a similar situation or has any one managed to shift those last few lbs and is willing to offer any tips? I would be extremely grateful as I am starting a new job soon so it would be a major confidence boost for me :)

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you need to lower calories, simple as that. As for strength training, if you're a beginner, focus on heavy compound lifts: Bench press, bent over rows, shoulder press, squats, dead lifts, leg press, pull ups(assisted). Also, there's nothing wrong with red meat, eat it up
  • RATTY92
    RATTY92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm already hitting lower than my 1200 I'm supposed to have not including the 400-500 calories I burn. It's complicated cos people say you shouldn't really eat any lower than 1200. I do most those so maybe just increase weight and reps. Thanks for feedback :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm already hitting lower than my 1200 I'm supposed to have not including the 400-500 calories I burn. It's complicated cos people say you shouldn't really eat any lower than 1200. I do most those so maybe just increase weight and reps. Thanks for feedback :)

With 8lbs left, you should set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week and eat back exercise calories.
  • Momma2fourunder5
    Momma2fourunder5 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Have you taken into account the times of day that you eat? I was stuck at a platuea for a while and someone suggested that I eat my dinner at an earlier time. So now I try and make sure I am done eating by 6 or 7 pm and it definitely helped me get my body back on track with losing. Hope that may help!! Either way though, keep up the good work...you are ALMOST there!!!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    What I should have said was you need to increase your caloric deficit. This can be done by increasing calories burned, decreasing calories consumed, or a combination of the two.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I say the opposite of AGericke on your calories - when you have little to lose, you need to eat more calories. Yes you can lose 1-2 pounds a week if you are overweight, but if you are in a healthy weight range, it is much harder to lose weight and it will (and should) be much slower. Set your MFP target to lose no more than 1/2 pound a week and eat your exercise calories back. Depending on how tall you are a woman should still be able to lose weight slowly on 1700 calories a day (unless you're very short). Also maybe you want to get a body analysis test done. Maybe you are already at the right weight for you and you don't need to lose 8 pounds? I don't know, just a thought. I also recommend this blog: http://gokaleo.com/

I hope this helps!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What I should have said was you need to increase your caloric deficit. This can be done by increasing calories burned, decreasing calories consumed, or a combination of the two.

There is such a thing as too large a deficit!
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

With 8lbs left, you should set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week and eat back exercise calories.

i'm also at my last 8 and i hadn't thought of this. still adjusting to the whole "eat more" thing but i'm stuck on these last pounds (it's so frustrating sometimes!)

trying it.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, you need to lower calories, simple as that. As for strength training, if you're a beginner, focus on heavy compound lifts: Bench press, bent over rows, shoulder press, squats, dead lifts, leg press, pull ups(assisted). Also, there's nothing wrong with red meat, eat it up
    If someone doesn't eat a certain food you shouldn't tell them to eat it. I'm the same way I don't eat red meat and it is not because I think there is something wrong w/ it.
  • RATTY92
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies :D yeah maybe you're right with dropping down to 0.5lbs loss a week would be better (i think its still set as 2lb loss). And yes I do tend to eat my calories later on in the day oops! And I shall check out the blog thank you very much :) and yes all helpful :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think of it like being stuck in the snow. When you gun your engine, the tires spin, you just get more stuck. You have to shift into lower gear, and eeeeeaaaaase your way out of it.

Eat near maintenance (.5 a week plus exercise is good, 10% below TDEE would work, too), lift heavy, and track your progress with measurements, how clothes fit, and photos instead of the scale.
  • emyishardcore
    Options
    I think you should increase your calories to around 1500 cals.
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I say the opposite of AGericke on your calories - when you have little to lose, you need to eat more calories. Yes you can lose 1-2 pounds a week if you are overweight, but if you are in a healthy weight range, it is much harder to lose weight and it will (and should) be much slower. Set your MFP target to lose no more than 1/2 pound a week and eat your exercise calories back. Depending on how tall you are a woman should still be able to lose weight slowly on 1700 calories a day (unless you're very short). Also maybe you want to get a body analysis test done. Maybe you are already at the right weight for you and you don't need to lose 8 pounds? I don't know, just a thought. I also recommend this blog: http://gokaleo.com/

I hope this helps!

Body Analysis! I am trying to figure out what my real "target weight" should be. Can you elaborate on Body Analysis? Like, at a doctor's office?
  • KelsThompski
    Options
    You need to increase your calories! If i could see your food journals there would be more to tell you. its about what you eat and when your eat it! Also you need to change it up and change what your doing to shock your body!
  • RATTY92
    Options
    I don't know how you guys are replying to peoples posts individually so I'm having to reply vto you all at once lol! I'm so glad I'm not on my own and that other people are frustrated too! And yes I don't eat red meat cos I choose not to and I haven't for years somone just mentioned to reduce it to lose weight but since I don't already eat it there would be no pint someone saying that on here if that makes sense? And yes maybe focusing on measurements would be a better idea. Thanks again :)
  • RATTY92
    Options
    Lol ok I think I've been going about this all wrong. I guess I'm just worried if I increase calories I'll end up back to square one again!
  • emyishardcore
    Options
    I don't know how you guys are replying to peoples posts individually so I'm having to reply vto you all at once lol! I'm so glad I'm not on my own and that other people are frustrated too! And yes I don't eat red meat cos I choose not to and I haven't for years somone just mentioned to reduce it to lose weight but since I don't already eat it there would be no pint someone saying that on here if that makes sense? And yes maybe focusing on measurements would be a better idea. Thanks again :)

Use the quote option to reply to an individual post.
    And when increasing calories just as long as the food you choose is healthy you shouldn't gain weight unless you go way over board.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

This x 100
  • Kimyosh
    Kimyosh Posts: 4
    Options
    Absolutely eat more! Do not eat less than your BMR!

Try increasing your protein intake and decreasing processed sugar if you use it.

Add a protein snack a few times a day...cheese and crackers or fruit. Greek yogurt. Cottage cheese and fruit. Almonds?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For my last 10 I found that I really needed to tighten up on logging accuracy. I started using my food scale for everything (even fruits/veggies). I set MFP to "lose .5 lbs/week" and ate back at least half of my exercise calories.