Vibro plate

Options
Hi All,

I have started using a vibration plate, i do 10 mins each session, does anyone know how many calories are burn from this? I have looked on the internet and it said up to 350 calories per 10 minute session, but i don't think this could be right!

Thanks

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    If it seems too good to be true....usually it is. I can't see it being 350 calories in 10 minutes. That means a 90 minute workout would burn almost a pound of fat.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Exercising on the stable floor vs. exercising on a vibe plate will not give you a huge difference in caloric burn...maybe an additional 10-15 calories tops. The point of these plates is muscular stimulation. We use them in our physical therapy office to help people strengthen damaged muscles. But in all honesty, the calorie burn on them isn't much different.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    never heard of this...will have to google it!!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Oh you work out on them. I have seen the claims that people can stand on them and it'll burn 350 calories without doing anything.

Gogling them more I found claims like:

"You can just stand on it, sit on it, hold a plank position, do squads or sit-ups – whatever you feel like. The vibration of the Vibro Plate increases the workload on your muscles. Holding a sit-up position for one minute on this vibrating plate, for example, feels like you’ve done 40 sit-ups in one minute."

From the livestrong page:

Estimates

Manufacturers admit that the variations in the number of calories you burn while using a vibration machine depend on a range of variables, including your original basal metabolic rate, your age and gender, and the other movements you engage in while standing on the platform. Generally, though, a 10-minute vibration session burns about as many calories as a six- to 10-minute walk, or about 47 calories for the average 150-lb. person walking at 4 mph.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/332189-calories-burned-in-a-vibration-workout/#ixzz1VUA2p0OF

Variations

A 175-pound person would burn closer to 54 calories in the same session, while a 200-pound person would burn about 62 calories.
    Effects

Vibration machines can help to reduce abdominal fat while building lean muscle mass, states Dirk Vissers, a physiotherapist at the Artesis University College and the University of Antwerp in Belgium, according to a May 2008 article in "Science Daily." Since muscles burn more calories than fat, even at rest, the workouts can lead to additional weight loss when combined with other exercises and a low-calorie diet.

So you gain around 50-60 extra calories burnt?
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine went on a vibro plate for a month and wondered why it hadn't made any difference.... I went with her once and realised why! she just stood on the plate and let it shake...

Another time I went to use one, the lady beside me just stood on the plate eating a mars bar!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    and from weightlosstriumph.com

"Study on Vibration Training

In a recent study involving a group of obese people (a majority of which were women), researchers decided to look at whether vibration plate training had a positive effect on weight loss by closely following this group of 61 individuals for 6 months. Researchers divided them up into 4 sub groups: those on a diet alone, those on a diet using vibration training, those on a diet using conventional exercise, and a control group that didn’t partake in a diet nor any form of exercise. What they found was that after 6 months the vibration and conventional exercise groups had the best results – with the vibration group doing the best – losing over 11% of their body weight in the first six months and 10.5% after another six months; however, just to be clear, the participants in vibration training were doing exercises on the machines and not just standing there holding the handles. "
  • donec
    donec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

@ nwmsujchaney - thank you, that was really helpful. I do the different exercises that is in the manual that came with it. A few of them are quite hard!! Not as easy as you would think! :smile:
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    No Problem Man! Thanks for posting a question like this, without the questions I never would of googled it!
  • cliocallida
    Options
    "the lady beside me just stood on the plate eating a mars bar!"

This made me laugh so hard! Thanks for the 5 calorie work out :)
  • suregood
    Options
    I found this information
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/332189-calories-burned-in-a-vibration-workout/

I log 50 calories for 10 minutes
  • lucy300689
    Options
    I have bought a vibro plate. I try and do exercises on it but need some tips - anyone know where I can find a workout to use on the machine? I do around 20 mins a day so I could be logging this as 100 calories burned!
  • janeclive
    janeclive Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    just bought a vibroplate it has a readout stating calories burned. I must say that it must be greatly exaggerating the calories burned. on a high speed workout of 15 minutes it says I have burnt nearly 400 calories. I don't think this is possible. I looked on Google and found a site which says vibroplates burn about 68 calories for 15 minutes. so I'm going with that which seems more reasonable.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favour and return this device. Then, take that time you would have spent standing there like a plonker and go for a walk in the sunshine :)
    and from weightlosstriumph.com

"Study on Vibration Training

In a recent study involving a group of obese people (a majority of which were women), researchers decided to look at whether vibration plate training had a positive effect on weight loss by closely following this group of 61 individuals for 6 months. Researchers divided them up into 4 sub groups: those on a diet alone, those on a diet using vibration training, those on a diet using conventional exercise, and a control group that didn’t partake in a diet nor any form of exercise. What they found was that after 6 months the vibration and conventional exercise groups had the best results – with the vibration group doing the best – losing over 11% of their body weight in the first six months and 10.5% after another six months; however, just to be clear, the participants in vibration training were doing exercises on the machines and not just standing there holding the handles. "

Were their caloric intakes self-reported or properly controlled in a clinical setting? If not then the study is as good as useless.
  • vcfervc
    vcfervc Posts: 28
    Options
    Sounds kinky
  • Mabbi34
    Mabbi34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Vibration Plate and I have studied certain exercises and then formulated a 'calorie lost' plan for myself. I do exercises on my VP and I calculate like this:

10 mins of vibration plate = 49cals
    3 mins of squats = 36 (12 cals per min) + 14.7 (4.9 per min VP) total burnt 3 mins = 50.7
    3 mins of lunges = 36 + 14.7 = 50.7
    3 mins of Stretching = 12(4 cals per min) + 14.7 = 26.7
    3 mins of yoga = 12 + 14.7 = 26.7

So a mixture of the above you could roughly work out your calories. I do 20 mins per day on VP on top of general day to day cardio ( walking, housework, etc). Some studies state that VP helps with the after burn, so it is worth doing before you go about your daily activities.

Hope this helps and good luck
  • cemmick
    cemmick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm standing on my vibro plate right now after a 30 minute cardio workout. I have a history of seizures and if I feel the least little bit fuzzy headed the vibro plate helps get the fog out. I do do isometrics for my calf and abs while I'm on it, but that probably burns very little calories.

The real benefit is the calming effect and increased circulation. Of course if you are on it with a Snickers, this may be negated. ;)
  • Tubatubatoaslimmerme
    Options
    I do 50 mins on mine watching deal or no deal so does that mean I burn 250 calories :)
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I log 44 calories for a 10 min session on the vibration plates. I wouldn't use this as sole exercise though, I swim, do gym and aerobics as well - I have found that it has helped reshape my thighs and bum that regular exercise has failed to do. Its also helped backache and to reduce varicose veins... I use it as an additional tool in my weight loss system.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Full body vibration, infrared saunas, sauna suite..........modern snake oil all (except vibration does have therapeutic benefits and has long been used in physiotherapy)

The pedlars of these products are all to aware of our desire for instant fixes and a cure that requires no effort on our part. Sorry, the real world doesn't work that way.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    snake oil.. conpletely useless unless we are talking rehab.

vibro plates offer zero calorie burn benefits. they do make other people rich from suckers buying into their hype tho.