Logging housework?

Options
2»

Replies

• Katarah
    Katarah Posts: 11
    Options
    I also log cleaning about once a week. I was wondering how many calories a day you have... I am new and just starting out @ 1200 a day. I have actually gained weight. haha. I have cheated a couple of times though. I have been riding my bike almost everyday too.
  • Katarah
    Options
    I was just wondering how many calories a day you allow yourself...:flowerforyou:
  • Katarah
    Options
    how many cals a day are you doing?:flowerforyou:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    My profile is set at sedantry. I do a big clean every sunday and I log that, but if my profile was set at slightly active I wouldn't. I don't log every day tidying up etc though.
  • razorbecky
    razorbecky Posts: 134
    Options
    I log mine if I do some squats or things like that when im doing it. I sometimes do lifts with the laundry basket when its full of jean or towels LOL (hey every little bit helps right)
  • Katarah
    Options
    Was just wondering how many cals a day do you allow yourself.:flowerforyou:
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I don't log it, I used to. I never ate those calories back though it was really just a mental thing to feel like I'd accomplished something out of the norm and I'd go out of my way to do the chores the "hard" way to burn as many calories as I could manage according to my HRM.

I quit logging it because I now only log exercise calories that I would feel ok eating back if I needed to. That way if I get super hungry but I took an hour long walk I don't feel guilty eating a little more... If I just had logged cleaning that day and I ate the extra calories I'd still feel guilty so it wouldn't make a difference.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Don't log housework, I also don't log stuff like walking round the supermarket or going to the shops etc as it is not exercise. My husbands GP told him you need to do something continuously for 45 minutes without a break for it to start doing you any good, and even when I am doing a big houseclean that is not the case and to be honest I would just be kidding myself.
    I did count the day we spent building out shed however as it was exceptionally hard graft and I had a raised heart rate and sweated loads, so I figured it could count (although I still felt I was cheating a bit)

To be honest it is up to you, you are the person that is trying to lose weight and get healthy, if you want to count stuffing some clothes into a washing machine, running a hoover round the place, a bit of dusting and bed making etc as exercise then go ahead

:-)
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I dont log day to day stuff apart from if I do a lot like the other day did cooking as I was in the kitchen for about 3 1/2 hours but only logged an hour and got everything individually from the fridge and cupboards so was back and forwrads lol .
    Always log mowing the lawn as its large and cutting hedges they are massive and today cleaning out the shed .
    Its up to yourself what you log its your diary and your body so do what you feel comfortable with :)
  • JoyJulRay
    JoyJulRay Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wow never thought about logging housework...mmmm, so I am a housekeeper at the University of Alabama, I vacuume...dust....mop... do windows clean 6 bathrooms every night..plus so much more so I work for 8 hrs a day so does that mean I can log 8 hrs of housework....plus i sweat like a pig..my hubby says i could sweat in the freezer...think I will just stick to logging workouts at the gym or walking. But a really good thought.:smile:
  • DKWaggoner
    DKWaggoner Posts: 185
    Options
    No I don't log house cleaning..IMHO it's a reach to log those kind of calories.Mowing or Yardwork where you actually exert yourself I can see..But I clean house every saturday and I don't feel its enough of a burn to consider logging it .
    But to each thier own..I only want success for everyone : )
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I only log it if it is "above and beyond" kind of cleaning. Obviously there are things you do every day--those are part of your general activity level. But if this is spring cleaning, or floor scrubbing on hands and knees, or multiple trips from the attic to the basement and back again--that I log.
  • knittygirl52
    Options
    I only log it if it is "above and beyond" kind of cleaning. Obviously there are things you do every day--those are part of your general activity level. But if this is spring cleaning, or floor scrubbing on hands and knees, or multiple trips from the attic to the basement and back again--that I log.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I open all my windows when i clean so the chemical smells/ fumes dont stick around...lately that makes me realllly warm. besides the fact that I completely scrub every surface. i think i burn plenty of calories doin this.

besides, if its in the system why not log it?
    you log everything that goes into your mouth, why not log everything you do? (at least if youre set to sedentary)
  • knittygirl52
    Options
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I'm with a lot of people on here. If it's just my usual couple loads of laundry or dishes, just the standard stuff. But a couple weeks ago we did a major overhaul, hanging new curtains (complete with screwing in the curtain rods and everything), sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, a wipe-down of the ENTIRE kitchen and all its services (company was coming) - it took about 4 hours and I was sweating my @$$ off. So I definitely logged that.