Can't Exercise - Help needed

Options
Hi everyone,

I have joint problems in both my knees and have had another flare up (made worse by volunteering at the weekend). I am now unable to exercise but still want to lose weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions on weight loss by healthy eating only?

Thanks in advance

Dee x

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Could you please tell us your current weight and height? Thanks!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You can't sit in a chair and lift weights? I have no info about you but I do believe Richard Simmons has a workout for people in Wheel Chairs, you could try that. Good Luck, and GET BETTER!
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I have a lot of chronic pain problems, mostly hips, legs and lower back. I have found videos on youtube for easy yoga stretches and low impact aerobics that don't cause problems for me. Just do a search on youtube and look through them until you find one that looks doable. And only do what's comfortable. If you can't complete the whole thing at first that's ok, just as long as you keep moving and keep trying. :)
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees-I have found that water aerobic classes are great! Check your local Y or even rec centers. If you have access to a pool, look up some Youtube videos about water workouts.

Last week I was barely able to walk (plantar fascistic--first time ever having it). I looked on Youtube for some chair aerobics. I did one and was huffing and puffing by the time it was done.

Feel free to message me, I totally understand!!!!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up if you meet your calorie goal you should still be able to lose weight even without exercising. If your daily job type activity has changed from lightly active or higher you may consider moving to sedentary.
  • adriennepaolini
    Options
    I have RA through most of my body it hurts to work out it really does but sometimes I push through because in the end losing the weight will help ease the pain in the long run. Find something that works for you Water aerobics for bad knees and legs are a good start most YMCA's have those classes. Good Luck
  • Mija2010
    Mija2010 Posts: 11
    Options
    Obviously different factors come into play with this, but, yes, it is possible to lose weight even when you cannot exercise. Even if you are inactive, if you eat less than your daily caloric requirement you will lose weight over time. I can speak to the truthfulness of this because I am 61 and have a chronic illness that completely prevents me from exercising, other than just moving around in the house a little bit. I spend the majority of my time either lying down or sitting down. I have to use a wheelchair/transport chair/walker whenever I go anywhere, so I don't even get the benefit of walking around stores or any other place, usually. But I have been losing weight for the past few months.

I just recently started tracking with MyFitnessPal.com. I lost 35 pounds last year, partly due to a medication change and partly due to eating less. My weight-loss stalled about a year ago and I thought that because I'm not able to exercise that I was not going to lose anymore weight at all, ever. But, my primary care physician encouraged me to watch what I eat and also told me that even with my level of inactivity it was possible to lose weight; I just needed to watch my calorie intake and focus more on vegetables. He suggested eating Vegan but I am more of a flexitarian. I followed his suggestions to watch what I eat and in the last month I have lost another 5 pounds. I feel very encouraged by these results and I'm not having any trouble at all resuming my healthy way of eating and tracking, something I did seven years ago that resulted in a 50 pound weight loss and being size 8 again for the first time in 30 years. Then I got sick again and gained those 50 back and more, but now I am back to where I was when I started losing the 50 pounds and I am convinced that I can lose what I need to again.

So stick with it and don't give up. Your results might be slower because you're not as active and your body may not be toned and shaped the way you want, but you will lose weight. And the suggestions for chair exercise and water aerobics are great, if you can handle either.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i haven't done any exercise throughout my weight loss experience and i've lost 40 pounds in around 4 months by just watching what i eat/eating less than the daily caloric requirement. everyone's body is different but it's still possible to lose weight without exercise believe me. the only problem i could see in this is if you're worried about toning or gaining muscle, but if you're looking forward to just losing overall weight then just eat healthy - it's really simple, i don't know how a person with my standards got into it. i used to eat pies, cookies, ice cream, and a **** load of other junk on a daily basis, and now i can easily turn my head away from it. fruits + veggies are your best friend, and always try to go for alternative options i.e extra lean ground chicken instead of beef, etc.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up if you meet your calorie goal you should still be able to lose weight even without exercising. If your daily job type activity has changed from lightly active or higher you may consider moving to sedentary.

^^^^ This. If you eat at a deficit you don't need to exercise. 90% of weight loss comes from your food intake, exercise is mostly for fitness and muscle development.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You can't sit in a chair and lift weights? I have no info about you but I do believe Richard Simmons has a workout for people in Wheel Chairs, you could try that. Good Luck, and GET BETTER!

This and boxing punches while sitting will get your heart rate up.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Water workouts (swimming, aqua jogging, water aerobics, etc) are GREAT for people with joint issues, because there is not only no impact, but the buoyancy of the water takes all of the load off your joints.

That said, your diet is key. You could do all the workouts in the world, but if you overeat, you'll still gain weight. As they say, you can't out exercise a bad diet. While you're healing, focus on your diet. :)
  • teacup8285
    teacup8285 Posts: 26
    Options
    I live with a lot of pain from a car accident and when it is summer I do a lot of swimming. It really helps, and when I feel better I walk, but I don't do anything to vigorous. And really watching what you eat too.
  • Jmercerq
    Jmercerq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will love this, but you could still do situps and possibly classic pushups. Those aren't my first choices of exercise, but they should avoid straining your knees and every bit helps.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    diet = weight loss exercise = fitness

I don't exercise. Just eat at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without exercise. Diet is the most important thing in achieving weight loss. Diet and exercise together are the best possible scenario, but if you exercise alone, you will NOT lose weight. So don't despair! Watch those calories, and when you are feeling up to it, slowly add in exercise to help tone your body. Good luck!
  • malbyrd
    malbyrd Posts: 8
    Options
    Try water workouts. Really great if you can get a heated pool. I broke my ankle and was off my feet for 2 months. Water jogging/walking has really helped because of the low impact.
  • BoboGritt
    BoboGritt Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello. At my largest weight (565) I had serious back issues. I had trouble losing without exercise as you seem to be experiencing. After struggling for a while someone suggested walking in a swimming pool at the Y. That is what got me started and I was able to progress to walking outside to bike riding and finally running. Just the walking in the pool was enough to help me get started losing. Best of luck to you!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    search "senior seated exercises" on youtube and you'll find lots of videos of routines specifically designed for people who have difficulty with standing exercise.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    yes, you can lose by not exercising. The question is WHY would you want to not make your muscles stronger to take the stress off the knees? Google exercises for knee pain. They have amazing stretches and things you can do.

I can speak from experience on KNEE issues. I am 58 (twice your age), diabetic, hypothroid. I tore my right ACL about 6 years ago and did not have surgery. I have arthritis in BOTH knees. Last year I began working out at gym on the machines. I did very light weights on my legs and the stretches from the internet. They got stronger. I walked more. Then I progressed (slowly raising weights) from the treadmill to the elliptical. I was feeling better, still suffering mostly at night with the knee pain. Knees didn;t really hurt when I worked out, only when I sat too long or tried to sleep.

I got sick in November with a series of colds and then ended up with the flu in December. Anyway, I did not hit the gym or do ANY exercise for 3 months By the third month, I was dang near suicidal from lack of sleep. My knees were at the most painful than they have been in my entire life. I was starting to panic that I would be in a wheel chair by 60. Now I had lost 40 pounds last year and gained by 15 while sick and inactive In Feb, I decided that no matter how much it hurt, I would exercise again because I remembered feeling better last year. I started slowly and regained what I had lost in strength. I changed my diet, lost over 30 more pounds.

I added more and more weight training and my legs have gotten very strong and so have my knees. They still bother me...arthritis and torn acl does not disappear. But guess what, I have added jogging intervals to my walks. My knees still bug me...mostly if I sit to long or driving the car. They dont hurt me when I exercise...go figure!

Anyway, the less you move your joints, the more sore they feel ALL THE TIME. For me, anyway! I just spent last Saturday dancing the night away for hours at my Grand Daugher's wedding. Sunday, the knees screamed at me a little. Monday, they shut up.

Start moving. Do what you can do. The pool advice is the best to start with. Look up the exercises. I found out that if your glutes are tight, they pull your knees out of line, causing more pain. Stretch your legs and glutes. After pool walking helps you get stronger, get on the treadmill. Go slow in small increments until you get stronger. Keep stretching. Slowly add weight training. You knees will only get better if you give them stronger legs to support them.

Good Luck. Pain can't be the reason you don't try. Exercise is critical unless your doctor told you not to for some reason we don't know. Ask your doctor if he will prescribe physical therapy. Maybe that is a good place to start.
  • kachine1k
    kachine1k Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I am a dance instructor so am usually very active.

Physiotherapy has gone as far as they can. My only option now is surgery, which the doctors won't consider due to my age. I have so many knee exercise that can be done, but with my knee at the moment i can only do a few of them (which I am doing upto 3 times per day)

Colleagues at work are also giving me personal training sessions to help but I am struggling to do any exercise. So it is not that I don't want to exercise because I DO!

I am 29 years old and currently weigh 173lbs meaning I only need to lose around 30lbs to get to the correct weight for my height, etc.

I hope this helps everyone understand my situation a little better.

Dee x