Ladies! Scared of birth control?!

Options
2»

Replies

• skinnymama157
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! Since having the baby my skin has been out of control and in the past BC has really helped with that. I'm hoping to find something that helps with my skin and doesn't make me plump up :) But, of course, pregnancy would make me definitely gain weight! Ha!
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options

On the low hormone did you have a lot of trouble with bleeding? (sorry, I know that's gross). I was only off AF for five days a month for the 6 months I was on it! It was awful!

It depends on the person I guess, I bleed like crazy on a high dose estrogen pill and have a lot of breakthrough bleeding but since my doctor switched me to Loestrin 24 ( which has the minimum 20mg of estrogen) my problems have cleared up and I don't even have a period at all anymore :)
  • Flocker1979
    Options

On the low hormone did you have a lot of trouble with bleeding? (sorry, I know that's gross). I was only off AF for five days a month for the 6 months I was on it! It was awful!

It depends on the person I guess, I bleed like crazy on a high dose estrogen pill and have a lot of breakthrough bleeding but since my doctor switched me to Loestrin 24 ( which has the minimum 20mg of estrogen) my problems have cleared up and I don't even have a period at all anymore :)

I'm so jealous! Loestrin 24 is what I was on with all the problems... Now I'm on this crazy high dose that I hate.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking slightly decreases metabolism. Still worth quitting. While another child isn't ANYTHING like smoking, sometimes you have to forgo a little to do what is best for you. If you aren't looking to have another baby immediately, do what is necessary. Work harder on the weight loss. You can do it :smile:
  • cambam84
    cambam84 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Im glad this was posted....I just had a baby a month ago and had a depo shot yesterday and I am freaked out to gain weight...my dr too told me that the shot will make me feel more hungry so I am trying to really stick to mfp this time. I am also breast feeding exclusively!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds and have been taking BC for 15 years. Hasn't been an issue for me. I take Ortho Tri Cyclen
  • danivee33
    danivee33 Posts: 33
    Options
    You should be worried about all the other affects of BC rather than weight gain. The others are more dangerous.

My body rejects all kinds of BC because of the crazy amount of hormones.

Just use condoms.
  • logicofsound
    Options
    I was going to try the IUD - the non-hormonal ones. I could never use pills because of emotional side effects.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love the pill! I take a basic monophasic, and choose to only have a period a few times a year. This means that for most of the year, I'm functional and inimpeded by cramps and ill-timed gushing - oh, and babies. I don't think it's affected my weight (my overeating takes care of that) and honestly even if it did add a kilo or two, it would be worth it for the convenience.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You know what REALLY causes a lot of weight gain? PREGNANCY.

Mirena is the best thing to happen for women's health since birth control was invented. It has essentially no side effects, very little, if any systemic hormone uptake, is easily removed to allow pregnancy, does NOT suppress ovulation (so no waiting period when you're ready to get pregnant), does NOT cause weight gain (because it only effects the uterus), and is a long-term method. Can there be issues with how it's put in, or with migration once it is in? Yes. But these are not common compared the the number of women who successfully use it.

I saw a post where a bunch of Ob gyns don't prescribe Mirena due to "problems", but DO use "Implanon". That's silly (and very, very unusual...the Mirena is LOVED by the vast majority of Ob/Gyns). The two devices use the exact same hormone, but the IUD lasts longer....and doesn't require using a SCAPEL to remove it (the implanon does....). Implanons get encapsulated in people's arms (just like the Mirena can imbed itself in the uterus) and often need to be surgically removed. Implanon is actually being replaced by a smaller unit called "Nexplanon" but the issues are the same.

edit for typos