I want to Cardio but.......

Options
I can't breathe!

I can walk at a slow/moderate pace all day long but if I try to push myself, at all, I can't breathe. I have an elliptical machine that I thought I'd love but can't use it for extended periods of time. I'm talking more than 8 minutes. It's so frustrating. My body isn't tired but I just can't breathe. The last time I went 12 minutes on the elliptical I almost passed out. I was extremely short of breath, started getting dizzy and was coughing for hours afterwards. I'm willing to bet this isn't normal... Any advice, tips or have experienced this yourself?

Just so you don't have to ask, I smoked for 12 years but have been smoke free for 1 year and 3 months. Besides being obese, I have no other medical ailments. This is after any extended exertion; walking fast, jogging, bicycling or elliptical.

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If you have no other medical ailments then you are simply out of shape and need to work at it.

I remember when I'd get winded walking up small hills. I finally got tired of that, and solved it by walking more and then learning to run.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Agreed if there are no other ailments then its likely just a time issue. Just be patient and take it slow and you will find every day will get a little easier and less hard on the breathing part. Glad to hear you are committed to making yourself healthy and good luck!
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't know, if you were already at a place of being able to walk all day long, feeling like you are going to pass out on the elliptical (even slowly?) or anything faster doesn't sound normal to me. I'm 45, obese, with a sedentary job and when I started doing things again, I never once felt like i was going to pass out, just winded, and when I stopped after a few minutes everything was back to normal. You should go to the doc and get checked out..maybe you've got some asthma going on or something.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I can't breathe!

I can walk at a slow/moderate pace all day long but if I try to push myself, at all, I can't breathe. I have an elliptical machine that I thought I'd love but can't use it for extended periods of time. I'm talking more than 8 minutes. It's so frustrating. My body isn't tired but I just can't breathe. The last time I went 12 minutes on the elliptical I almost passed out. I was extremely short of breath, started getting dizzy and was coughing for hours afterwards. I'm willing to bet this isn't normal... Any advice, tips or have experienced this yourself?

Just so you don't have to ask, I smoked for 12 years but have been smoke free for 1 year and 3 months. Besides being obese, I have no other medical ailments. This is after any extended exertion; walking fast, jogging, bicycling or elliptical.

So you've been tested for asthma and COPD?

I ask because I have asthma and humidity plays a huge roll in how my breathing is on some days.

I'm obese, also. I walk for at least an hour at 2.5 mph. I've noticed it's gotten easier, so I'll up my speed for part of that hour. I'm building up my endurance.

So you can go 8 minutes on your elliptical, that's great! Instead of going for 12 minutes, could you build up the time gradually? Then once you get to a time you're happy with, be it 12 minutes or 60, or somewhere in between could you increase your difficulty level?

So maybe this week you go for 9 minutes, then ten, etc.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You should go to the doc and get checked out..maybe you've got some asthma going on or something.
    I agree, sounds like asthma. I've had it. You should be checked out. Yes, your out of shape but that doesn't make you feel like your gonna pass out.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you have no other medical ailments then you are simply out of shape and need to work at it.

I remember when I'd get winded walking up small hills. I finally got tired of that, and solved it by walking more and then learning to run.

QFT..... When I first started I could not stand for 30 seconds at a stretch let alone walk..... I spent 17 months in a therapy pool using weight displacement to allow me to stand long enough to be able to walk. and lose 170 lbs. before I could get out of the pool and continue my exercising. You just need to start and the next workout do a little more and continue this process... You will continue to get stronger and will be able to do more.... Best of Luck
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    How long have you been using the elliptical? Because the first month after I got mine I had only gotten up to 10 mins (and that was with a break about halfway through to "fix" the music on my ipod :D ) Any minute of exercise you do is a GOOD minute and the longer you do it the longer you'll be able to keep it up! Just keep pushing!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I agree you may want to check with your doctor about the possibility of exercise induced asthma or some other lung issue just to be sure.

If that checks out, then you'll just need to keep at it slowly but surely. The very first time I got on an elliptical, I was huffing & puffing and could only do about it for about 3-4 minutes. I just kept at it and increased it bit by bit til I could do it for longer periods of time. Same idea with walking or any other activity you tackle. Just keep trying and don't quit!
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but are you holding your breath? Some people get so into their exercise that they subconsciously hold their breath because they are concentrating on their movement. You could try focusing on breathing, trying to breathe in for four counts and out for four counts (or whatever count is appropriate for you) so that you're not either holding it or hyperventilating. Otherwise it's like the others have said, the more you do it the easier it gets.
  • Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can't breathe!

I feel the exact same way when my asthma acts up. I also cough a lot when it is bad.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can't breathe!

So you've been tested for asthma and COPD?

I ask because I have asthma and humidity plays a huge roll in how my breathing is on some days.

I'm obese, also. I walk for at least an hour at 2.5 mph. I've noticed it's gotten easier, so I'll up my speed for part of that hour. I'm building up my endurance.

So you can go 8 minutes on your elliptical, that's great! Instead of going for 12 minutes, could you build up the time gradually? Then once you get to a time you're happy with, be it 12 minutes or 60, or somewhere in between could you increase your difficulty level?

So maybe this week you go for 9 minutes, then ten, etc.

This. I was diagnosed with COPD at the age of 28, after 10 years of smoking. I found that I was getting bad coughs and bronchitis whenever I got a cold, which was my warning signal. I stopped smoking before it went beyond what is classified as mild, but I am still working with just 68% as opposed to the usual 84% for my age lung function.

I got horribly breathless when I first started cycling 3 years ago and thought I was going to die.
    Now I can cycle for 3 hours, probably longer and I can run. I still get breathless, but not to a degree that I can't or wont push through it.
    Definitely worth checking out if your lungs are impaired now as a result of the smoking.
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The first time I did an elliptical I couldn't go more than 5 minutes and I was thinking to myself "no way", I thought I was going to die. I kept at it and 5 went to 10 and 10 went to 30 and before long I was at 60 minutes. You are in the privacy of your own home, I was at the gym and I held my head high has I would do my 5 minutes and get off and go onto another machine while everyone else was doing their hour or so on them. :smile:

Edit- At that time I had just quit smoking.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I weighed over 300lbs when I first started. I couldn't do anything for more than a minute or two.But guess what , throughout the did I did my little minute or two. They add up. I still can't do more than 5 minutes of low impact aerobics. But if I do it more than once a day, it adds up and I get stronger and stronger until I can do a little more each week or so. You do what you can do, eventually your tolerance builds up and you get stronger. Good luck!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I work a hospital job, standing and walking 8 hrs a day. When I started this journey, I tried Walk Away the Pounds video for newbies. I couldn't even walk the mile (25 min) without being totally out of breath and feeling like passing out. I thought because I stood and walked all day at work, I was obese but in ok shape - so totally not true !!! But, I kept at it, slowly over the past 6 months, and now sometimes my walks with the dogs turn into a spontaneous 5k! Good luck
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds like exercise induced asthma. Happens to me too but only when I push myself super hard. You CAN work through it and it will get better. If you keep it up and just push but not too hard. It will slowly start get to where you can work harder and harder without the symptoms flaring up and eventually they will likely subside all together. The only thing I can't handle is running for long distances. I never really run more than a mile anyway. I can even do very intense interval stuff and circuit training, sprints, running for about a mile, etc without any problem. It's just running over a mile or so that gets me. Good luck!
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    I had the same thing happening. I've never smoked or worked in a hazardous profession.After being tested for asthma, copd, and interstitial lung disease ,my dr discovered that I have scar tissue in my left lung and further testing says I'm only at 59% lung capacity. I'm on oxygen 24/7. I didn't need it while using the therapy pool though and did really well. Now that I have an exercise bike at home, I just leave the oxygen on. You definitely should have your dr look into this! Mine won't reverse, even with exercise and weight loss, but knowing what it is and adjusting how I exercise, I haven't been derailed on my journey to get healthy!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    You need to see a physician this could be excercise induced asthma among other things such as heart issues,especially if you smoked. the lungs and heart can be affected and not even know it. DO NOT push yourself until you get a thorough exam and tell the Dr. what you wrote here. Good luck!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would check with my doctor and tell him what exactly is going on. That sounds scary to me. I never had this problem even at 272 pounds. If he clears you then I would just attempt to gain more endurance but until you know what's going on, i wouldn't push a thing.
  • mckellipgirl
    mckellipgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have not seen a doctor about asthma or COPD because it's only when I over exert, and honestly because I don't want it. Lol

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get checked out to make sure.

This isn't stopping me at all, it's just slowing it down. Instead of working really hard and pushing harder, it's much slower. I can do Zumba but have to sit after 2 songs and relax then start back up because of the burning. I'm walking every day 20 minutes to 1.5 hours, depending on time allotments but I want to push, I want to get better, more endurance. It's a goal, something to achieve, something to work towards so I don't get bored... I guess I'll cave and get checked out. :(
  • bwd72
    bwd72 Posts: 5
    Options
    The solution here may be as simple as just getting an inhaler and taking a hit or two before exercise. Open those airways!