Alcohol n weight loss? Lets be real here.

Options
I know that I would lose more weight by not drinking alcohol for the sheer calories I consume. But...my question here is how do those of you that do imbibe go about it and still lose weight? I know about drinking lower calorie alcoholic drinks, and I sure do like my wine from time to time. But how do you personally feel about drinking alcohol in any form and your weight loss goals still happen? I am not trying to be an all or nothing person ( that has led to big losses then big gains) I am just trying to enjoy my life and my spirits (pun intended).

Replies

• Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Baja Bob and I have a standing Friday night date. I drink maybe 1 or 2 margaritas a week at 100 calories a pop.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have a Mich Ultra every night while cooking supper, it fits in my caloric intake and hasn't hurt my weight loss.... I am normally a one beer limit kind of guy so it works for me... Best of Luck
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Shots of hard liquor, high in acohol and usually less than 100 calories per. Unless you're drinking the sweetened crap like liqueur, then that's different.
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I do whatever I can to remain within my calorie goals and still allow for a couple of beers. There are some decent light beers out there (I prefer Sam Adams light and Yuengling light, but a Corona Light with a lime pretty much tastes the same as a regular Corona and lime,) and another drink that I've come to love is whiskey & diet ginger ale. People will also say to go outside, run a mile, come home and have a beer - which I also recommend. After a quick run, you've literally earned a beer!
    628462 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know I like my alcohol! I guess its just like chocolate for some, but after a good amount of chocolate your inhibitions don't get lowered the way they do with alcohol! Wise choices are out the window after a few drinks!
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    i take shots, no mixed drinks, and i do that every wknd and still managed to lose 70+ lbs with eating clean and working out
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I treat my favorite beers as occasional treats, and I have just one, not several.
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I do a solid cardio workout day I can easily fit a glass of wine or even two into my day. I don't always choose to, but it is a nice option.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    They are calories like any other. Treat them like such.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    When I want to drink, I drink, if I want several, I have several. Its a life style change you cant be perfect everyday. Saturdays I drink all day so its a giving I am going way over. I have lost a total of 95lbs. If you are killing it everyday then you will struggle with weight loss. But you have to enjoy life! Good Luck
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I took a good six months off of booze when I was concentrating on losing weight. Now, that I drink, I do it about once a week and go all out. Beers, wine, cocktails, the works. I just be sure to log it.

I've held myself between 202-205 lbs for two years now.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    There are some things that are difficult to accomplish whilst simultaneously trying to lose weight and tone up while consuming alcohol along the way. But for just losing weight, not worrying about accomplishing 6 pack abs or some other fitness feat, it is absolutely possible to just lose weight and trim up while still consuming the beverages. Personally I lost 20% of my former body weight and did not cut out the wine and beer I consume along the way (and enjoy of course).

Executive summary- If you can lose weight and still drink do so if you want to. If you are struggling with weight loss, try cutting the alcohol for a time and see how it works out.
  • jezebellle23
    jezebellle23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do whatever I can to remain within my calorie goals and still allow for a couple of beers. There are some decent light beers out there (I prefer Sam Adams light and Yuengling light, but a Corona Light with a lime pretty much tastes the same as a regular Corona and lime,) and another drink that I've come to love is whiskey & diet ginger ale. People will also say to go outside, run a mile, come home and have a beer - which I also recommend. After a quick run, you've literally earned a beer!

I was actually thinking of offering my guy a beer in a travel mug and me and my mixed drink in one and go for a stroll in the neighborhood LOL. We have some pretty good hills around here..that could make it interesting. :-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I lost 20kg drinking every weekend. Granted, I put most of it back on, but tyhat was NOT the booze. Now I've lost 9kg so far, still drinking every weekend.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have a drink (one) if I want one. A glass of wine or a small cocktail generally has between 80 and 150 calories. It's like having a light dessert.
  • merryberry99
    merryberry99 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Beer, I love, but it's killing my calorie count. I'm in the process of trying to avoid the higher calorie specialty beers that I LOVE, and settle for the uber low calorie beers.However, to be honest, I haven't actually made that move yet. LOL! It's just on the to do list. I guess it's worth a try because, as someone mentioned, it's all a part of your calorie count. I'd rather be able to have 2 and not blow my count and feel guilty.
  • maghenwarren
    maghenwarren Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'll drink once in a while but I make sure those calories are added in to my diet. Around 3 shots OR 2 beers will be about 200 calories.

Add Me!
  • Peejer2001
    Peejer2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a big deterent to my weight loss. If you research it, not only the calories but the negative effect alcohol has on you metabolism. When you ingest alcohol your liver immediately goes to process those calories. Which are negative calories, mean while the real job of the liver is to process fat. while it's busy processing your alcohol the fat cells are having a party by themselves. So you may count those calories...but meanwhile they are multifplying because your liver is not processing the other body fats properly. That being said I am a drinker? Go figure. I preach to the choir. Someday I hope to reform :)
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to red wine only, no more than two glasses in a day. Lately I've been failing to stick to it, drinking a couple summery mimosas (brunch with friends) and parties in the decks of friends homes. I gained 3 lbs. so I'm going back to red wine, no more than two glasses, no more than a couple times a week
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've found that a brisk and well-hydrated workout can really help kick a hangover.