What to do with beets?

Options
aileengh
aileengh Posts: 27 Member
How do you prepare beets? I've never had fresh, only canned.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I steam them and put them on salad with a little walnut oil and orange, or make borscht.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    A friend told me to roast them. Look up some recipes. They are yummy!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    beet them....
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    drink em! juice them in a juicer with apples, celery and carrots! excellent health benefits to juicing!
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Once you try it, you'll see beets are easy to cook - sometimes a pain to peel and chop. You can steam, roast or grill them. To grill, I dice them and toss them with red onion slivers, olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, and a little lemon. Use heavy aluminum foil to loosely wrap it so it's flat, and put on grill. The sugar in the beets caramelizes it. Sometimes I top it with some goat cheese and chopped parsley. You can use the same recipe to roast it in the oven. Yum.

And, congratulations on the weight loss!
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    mmm beets. i'd only ever had the pickled, in a jar kind... then a couple months ago my mom picked up some fresh ones and roasted the in the oven. i'm officially addicted.

i peel them before roasting (i've read they're easier to peel after cooked, but i didn't find that to be the case...) then cut them into big pieces.... toss with a little olive oil and pepper. wrap in foil and roast in the oven for about.. an hour, depending on the size that i cut them into.

i like them warm out of the oven or after they've been refrigerated, especially with a bit of goat cheese crumbled on top.

YUMMMM
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    oh, and you can also sautee up the greens. i haven't tried it yet, but i want to next time.
  • snoopycool
    snoopycool Posts: 37
    Options
    My husband likes to juice them. I like them pickled.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    oh, and you can also sautee up the greens. i haven't tried it yet, but i want to next time.

I did that last night actually! Came out amazing. I did a braised veal shank with bacon wrapped figs and sauteed the beet greens with the leftover sauce form the braising liquid with bacon fat. Came out really really good.

2lt688z.png
  • juliamamann
    Options
    roast them, then sprinkle with feta cheese. YUM
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Peel them, salt, pepper, place in tin foil, add a pat of margarine and place on BBQ.
  • erikalanem
    erikalanem Posts: 48
    Options
    I had a roasted beet and goat cheese bruschetta once...the only time I ever remember liking beets, and they were absolutely delicious...full disclosure, I LOVE goat cheese....
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I've sauteed both the beets and the greens (greens are a superb source of potassium btw) and roasted the beets. Roasted them wrapped in aluminum foil, they were delicious.
  • gonecamping0121
    Options
    I love beets! I roast them in foil with some sea salt and olive oil, about an hour depending on size. Peel and quarter, splash with some basalmic vinegar and goat cheese. I can't eat enough of these during summer months when my garden is producing beets.
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I peel them, Slice them thin ... toss the slices with Salt, pepper and a little crushed garlic and then put them on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and bake them at 350 for 15-20 minutes... yummmm!
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love beets! I roast them in foil with some sea salt and olive oil, about an hour depending on size. Peel and quarter, splash with some basalmic vinegar and goat cheese. I can't eat enough of these during summer months when my garden is producing beets.

Ohhhhhhh .. i am so going to try this next time!! sounds yummilicious!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Shredded beets are the only quick method of cooking I've seen.

Peel beets and shred them like hashbrowns. That way you can steam them or roast them in less time. Nice to steam them (chill) & use in a salad.