I did not ask you...

Replies

• mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    [nxETL1X.gif

In other news: Am I the only one that's strangely disappointed he stopped at his trousers?

tumblr_inline_mgp5n8U3YD1qhcpll.gif
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Or, ya know, you could have explained to her why that type of mindset is incorrect. But judging feels better, right?

Maybe I misread the post, but ... didn't they do just that?
    Both crossfit woman and I said, "no that doesn't work. Body Pump will not give these muscles. You need to lift heavy to change your body and gain muscles."

I didn't read where they just looked at each other and said, "Ew. Is SHE talking to US?!"

But I lack the diviniation skillz of others. :cry:
    I was so annoyed...If I thought the other woman had a great body then I would have asked her. But I didn't. Obviously... I was not impressed with your body b/c I did not ask you

I suggest taking Ancient Runes next year.

There's no quotation marks there. I assumed that was her inner monologue, not something she actually said.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Or, ya know, you could have explained to her why that type of mindset is incorrect. But judging feels better, right?

Maybe I misread the post, but ... didn't they do just that?
    Both crossfit woman and I said, "no that doesn't work. Body Pump will not give these muscles. You need to lift heavy to change your body and gain muscles."

I didn't read where they just looked at each other and said, "Ew. Is SHE talking to US?!"

But I lack the diviniation skillz of others. :cry:
    I was so annoyed...If I thought the other woman had a great body then I would have asked her. But I didn't. Obviously... I was not impressed with your body b/c I did not ask you

I suggest taking Ancient Runes next year.

There's no quotation marks there. I assumed that was her inner monologue, not something she actually said.

Read her OP, what I put in the quote box is what she actually said.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member

I was so annoyed

really?

You must find day to day life extremely irritating if you get that annoyed over someones opinion.
    [/quote
    exactly! she spoke up and maybe she shouldn't have but your reaction is childish and rude
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member

I read it. That's what she said in the post. I didn't take away from it that she said that to the other woman, though.

If she DID say that, then, yeah, it was incredibly rude.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Something similar happened to me a couple of days ago. I went to get a quote at a gym and explained to the lady at the desk my goal was to lift heavy. She said that I need to lift low weight with high reps not the other way around else I'd gain muscle under fat.

Needless to say, I walked out laughing.

ive been told this more than I can count since grade school. instead of being annoyed, educate the person why its not right. really some people just don't know any better because that's what they've been told all of their life.

You have to understand...this was someone that worked at the gym. The gym I was going to apply to. I DID attempt to tell her that it's outdated thinking when she asked me where I got my information from, and cited the NROLFW, Stronglifts 5x5, even ChaLEAN Extreme plans. She gave me a dismissive huff and went back to her computer.

Not the kind of gym I'd want to work out at. I'd be worried about all the clerks running up to me and getting me to stop if I started lifting above like, 10 pounds. :laugh:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Now I know why people feel intimidated at the gym and feel intimidated by asking help from those who are in shape. How sad. I was once that unfit person who didn't know any better. I'm glad that the girls who sought me out had a sincere desire to help others rather than being fitness snobs who may never know what it's like to struggle with the wrong info!

I'm doing Pump now. I'm sure I will not look "unfit" in three months, either, although I will report my results when I get there!

Then I will return to heavy lifting...it's all about changing it up and balance. It's about fit and healthy, not snobby and thinking I'm better than everyone b/c I'm fit...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member

I read it. That's what she said in the post. I didn't take away from it that she said that to the other woman, though.

If she DID say that, then, yeah, it was incredibly rude.

I didn't take away that she said that either. I said that she was being judgmental. :huh:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Unsolicited advice is annoying. Unsolicited advice from someone who appears to not know what they're talking about is really annoying. Judging a book by it's cover is offensive.

Be annoyed because someone came up to you and offered you stupid advice. Not because she offered you stupid advice but didn't look good enough to be offering advice.

This reminds me of when I was browsing the shampoo aisle at Target. This random woman comes up to me and tells me she only uses Dove products because they make her hair so soft. First of all, I like to browse on my own without unsolicited advice, so that was annoying. Secondly, the woman's hair looked like she had glued actual hay to her head. I guess I was being judgmental of her appearance when I decided not to take her advice. Well excuuuuuuuse me, internet.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you have to consider the possibility that maybe she doesn't find your body attractive and was trying to steer you towards her aesthetic. I find older women, in particular, think muscles are unfeminine. But their are "gym know it all" types in every gym I've ever been to. Heck, I've even had people in the park interrupt my run to say something rude.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Unsolicited advice is annoying. Unsolicited advice from someone who appears to not know what they're talking about is really annoying. Judging a book by it's cover is offensive.

Be annoyed because someone came up to you and offered you stupid advice. Not because she offered you stupid advice but didn't look good enough to be offering advice.

Agreed

Well arguably she looked exactly like someone who would give stupid advice and obvioulsy had been following said stupid advice.

I would have probably just responded with something along the lines of "I've tried high reps, low weights before and have found that low reps, with heavy weights makes me stronger and look better. If you're interested I'd be happy to chat about it".

I don't think you should be offering unsolicited advice at the gym unless you are pretty well educated on health and fitness. Problem is most people think they are educated and a lot of their "information" comes from suspect sources
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member

I don't think you should be offering unsolicited advice at the gym unless you are pretty well educated on health and fitness. Problem is most people think they are educated and a lot of their "information" comes from suspect sources

It's worse when it's the "educated" people. One of the instructors at my gym (who is an extremely nice person) was complaining today that she can't get her shoulders into the shape that she wants in time for an upcoming fashion show. And then showed us around the kinesis room using about a 30 pound weight for leg work and looking somewhat askance at my weak playing around 70. This is someone who has some nice muscles but spends all of her time doing high rep/low weight work and never really progresses. Which is totally cool (she looks great for her age) if she weren't interested in progressing.

Then we move on to discussion of weight loss, when I said something about a caloric deficit she kept going on and on about how that's important but you can't just go around eating fat all the time...

Yargh. So let's see: low weights, high reps, cardio cardio cardio and don't eat fat.

I like to take her classes sometimes as they throw a bit of variety into the cardio/weights/cardio/weights monotony, but I might need to start taping my mouth shut before I go. It's not that this advice won't result in weight loss provided you actually do achieve a caloric deficit, it's just that it's incredibly inefficient and I wish she weren't advising people to do this.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    rcocW.gif

I loved that episode. lol

It was a pretty great episode.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    [nxETL1X.gif

In other news: Am I the only one that's strangely disappointed he stopped at his trousers?

That lemon knows how to party.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    If I contradict anyone about a health and fitness issue I try to include 'I've seen research which suggests...' somewhere in there. Otherwise it's all just one random, so-called fact versus another.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Yeah...people tend to want to jump in.
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    I like turtles!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Like OMG .. Seriously dude.. You're body is awful.. I didn't ask for your opinion..

WOW .. you're shallow!!!

Thanks for telling us all!

This. How dare someone who isn't a fit person try to offer some help, even if it may not be correct! SHUN THEM. STONE THEM!!!

IDK I would rather take advice from the shredded/ripped person than the non shredded/non ripped person ..just saying..
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    [nxETL1X.gif

That lemon knows how to party.
    lemonparty.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

I want a certain type of body. I think the best advise would come from a person who has a body that I want.

One cannot judge by someone's body or looks on how healthy they are.

The best person to ask advice for getting the body someone else has is the coach/trainer that worked with the person who achieved it. Or better yet, their DNA.

right, so if you want to lose weight you would take advice from an obese person?