Smokers who have quit while losing their weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And major props to everyone who has quit!

It's funny because my Mom quit almost 2 years ago (and also lost 60 pounds..so proud of her!!) and she constantly tells me to read her Alan Carr book and go on quitnet.com, but I never listen...but this site is really helping me with my weight loss journey, so I think I'll check out quitnet for sure.

So tomorrow is going to be day one! Cold turkey (I don't want any nicotine in my system if i'm doing this), so cross 'em for me!

Time to go spend all of my money on healthy food, so even if I want to buy smokes - I won't be able to! Haha.

Best of luck to you! Remember, a craving only lasts 5 minutes. And the next couple days may be hell for you (I'm not gonna lie... I was a zombie for 3 days), but after you get through that you will begin to feel so much better everyday. I quit June 17th and I feel so good now, I often ask myself why I was stupid enough to smoke in the first place.

And please don't be discouraged or give up if you gain some weight. Like I said, I gained 6 lbs at first but after 2 weeks I started working out and have been losing ever since. Throw out your scale for a week or two if you have to :laugh:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yup I quit...was hypnotised and it worked, my husband got hypnotised 1 week later and has also been smoke free. No cravings, no weight gain. Look at it this way. My doctor said to me straight up............................"I would rather you be fat then smoke, smoking is far more dangerous"....................so now to work on the fat.

Good luck, you can do this!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yup I quit...was hypnotised and it worked, my husband got hypnotised 1 week later and has also been smoke free. No cravings, no weight gain. Look at it this way. My doctor said to me straight up............................"I would rather you be fat then smoke, smoking is far more dangerous"....................so now to work on the fat.

Good luck, you can do this!
  • Mrbackslap
    Mrbackslap Posts: 145
    Options
    I quit and its funny I still crave and its been like 5 months i think.
    Being from NYC I just couldnt spend so much on ciggs 12-13$ a pack is murder.
    I ate like no tomorrow but its better then smoking.
    Smoked for 16 years started at 235 3 months ago im currently 195.
    I can run 10 miles now but I know theres still damage from all the years of puffing away.
  • angie0184
    angie0184 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good luck again! It's not an easy road, the first week or so was suuuper rough for me. The depression was the worst, feeling like I was "losing my little buddies" but once I fought past that and quit trying to let my brain rationalize my smoking, I was fine. I hardly think about them anymore :happy:
  • angie0184
    angie0184 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been quit for exactly 3 weeks, 4 days, 4 hours & 13 minutes. I agree with a couple of the other posters, I would definitely not seek a food as a replacement, you're just setting yourself up for weight gain that way. If you absolutely can't help it, do carrots or celery sticks. I used weight gain as my excuse to not quit smoking for close to 8 years and I finally woke up one morning (suffering yet again from one of my chronic headaches I got from smoking) and realized how goofy that sounded. I don't want to gain the (at most) prob 15 pounds I could put on from quitting, but I'm willing to continue to let cigarettes ruin my health and my bank account? I haven't actually put on any weight on in the almost month that I've quit, but I'm feeling a teensy frustrated tonight because I haven't lost a single pound since i started this. I wish you the absolute best of luck, both with the weight loss and quitting smoking. I've only been off them for less than a month, & yes the cravings hit (very lightly and go away quick), but it's been the absolute best decision I EVER made.

WAY TO GO Angie!!!! :flowerforyou: I agree its the best decision you've ever made :bigsmile: Dont' worry about the weight. I know its frustrating but I guarantee it will start dropping off again. Perhaps try upping your exercise and eating more frequently. The main reason is to increase your metabolism. Oh, and green tea is good for that. Or even coffee if you can't handle green tea (green tea is healthier than coffee). Anyway, caffeine is a similar stimulant to nicotine. But please dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to turn you into a caffeine addict instead. I'm just saying add one or two cups per day to try and stimulate your metabolism. (God, I can feel a telling off coming now from someone.......lol.....sorry to anyone in advance if you think I'm advocation caffeine addiction.....)

All the best and CONGRATULATIONS on your month.......that's AWESOME!!

oh, and join Quitnet.com if you haven't already. I joined it on day 26 and it saved my life!!! I'll never forget it, that was the night I was just about to go and buy a packet..........six years later and I'm smoke free because I logged into quitnet instead......YEAH!! :bigsmile:

6 years!! That's amazing, congratulations to you! I haven't actually joined any other forums, but I check them frequently and use them to remotivate me when I start trying to trick myself into smoking. I think I'm struggling to actually lose numbers because I'm already within my normal/healthy BMI for my height. On the plus side though, I'm going to start measuring instead of using the scale because I went to put on my fave "fat girl" jeans (the ones I can barely wear because they look spray painted on) and they were hanging around my hips!! Definitely the loosest they've been in years :bigsmile:
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i quit back in January. I used the chantix too but it gave me bad side effects so I stopped taking it right after I quit smoking. Quitnet helped more than anything else. It was soooo helpful being able to go read others posts on how they were feeling. It made me remember I was not alone. Plus I could see how much I saved, how long I had quit, and how many years were put back on my life. One day while reading everyones posts on quitnet I saw someone talking about how they were trying to lose weight too and how they had found MFP and thought I'd check it out. So glad I did:wink:
    good luck with your quit:flowerforyou:
  • malboroman
    Options
    As my name suggests, I was a 20-30 a day guy but quit 3 days ago. I definitely think MFP has helped me not go nuts on the snacking, so hopefully the scale will still like me come Friday!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 34 years. 2-4 packs a day, non-stop. Last May, I decided I wasn't going to buy my own excuses as to why I "couldn't" quit any longer. I was 40 pounds overweight whether I quit or not. So, I picked a day and announced it to God and the world and on that day, put down the smokes and haven't touched them since. With the money I was saving, I joined a gym and started logging on MFP. I lost 15 pounds and 2 pants sizes within 3 months. It was very much worth it!!!

I used tic tacs, hard candies, intense hobbies (jewelry making), and lots of motivational self-talk to get me through it. My own inner voice was my worst enemy, as it gave me tons of excuses to not do or stick to it right then. I refused to allow a habit, a vice, to CONTROL me any longer. I was (am) in control....and I DO have the power to say no. The cravings eased after 3 days and I no longer wanted a smoke at all after a week. I still like the smell and still go on smoke breaks with my friends, but I don't light up. I can do 4x as much on the cardio machines now as I could do then, too. Feels great! Wallet is thicker too ;)