Quitting Smoking?

Options
I have been a smoker for 14 of my 28 years... I think I am ready to quit.. but to be honest, I'm a little scared. I keep hearing that when you quit you gain weight... I'm sure someone has experience with this? I am busting butt to lost it, I don't think a set back would be all that good for me. Suggestions?? And taking something like Chantix is out of the question, so it would have to be cold turkey (can't do nicotine replacements either).

Replies

• blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    Have you tried electronic cigarettes? It's not a nicotine replacement per se, because some still have nicotine in them. My boyfriend and I switched to them over a year ago and they're amazing. The ones we have use what's called e-liquid (only has four ingredients..nicotine, water, glycerin, and flavor)..there are 360+ flavors, my favorites are coconut and pina coloda, and you can adjust the nicotine levels so you can slowly wean yourself off of them.

I swear by the things..I used to smoke a pack a day and now the smell of cigarettes grosses me out. You should look into them. It wouldn't be as speedy as quitting cold-turkey, but its much more bearable.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching that first step toward quitting! I quit a year ago as of yesterday. I smoked for 10 years, a pack or more per day. It's not easy for everyone, but it's worth it for everyone. I found it helpful to come up with a list of reasons why I wanted to quit. You can't come up with reasons to NOT quit - those are just excuses :wink:

You might gain a little weight while quitting, this is true. But you can take that weight off again - getting new lungs (or other organs that grow cancerous/diseased from smoking) is pretty darn hard, and the quality of life after transplant doesn't compare with the quality of life after quitting, gaining a little weight, and then losing it because you're now healthy enough to do so.

Something else to consider is why you smoke. Do you use it as a reward system? A means of punishing yourself or coping? Find healthy ways to accomplish these things that don't involve food. It's easy to transplant one addiction/addictive behavior to another (eating for smoking).

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight only if you replace smoking with eating.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I have been a smoker for 14 of my 28 years... I think I am ready to quit.. but to be honest, I'm a little scared. I keep hearing that when you quit you gain weight... I'm sure someone has experience with this? I am busting butt to lost it, I don't think a set back would be all that good for me. Suggestions?? And taking something like Chantix is out of the question, so it would have to be cold turkey (can't do nicotine replacement it is either).

First, congratulations to you on making the decision to quit smoking. I smoked a lot longer than you but gave it up 4+ years ago cold turkey and never gained a lb... the weight I had to lose I still had to lose but no more. some people use cinnamon sticks or something to help with the oral habit. Whatever it takes and cinnamon sticks are calorie free. I wish you the best of luck and congratulations again
  • Jsneel
    Jsneel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! I've been a non-smoker for 4 years now and I smoked close to 10 years before I Stopped! I think replacing the word Quit with STOPPED helps! Your going to need a support team I think! (Mine was The Good Lord,My Hubby and my Mom and people praying for me) I really needed to stop smoking due to blood pressure(I dint wanna have to take bp med if i dint have too)I'm very thankful to have stopped! You will start to feel better but it is going to take a little bit bc toxins from
    Cigs in your body!!! I'm also thankful for loosing the 80lbs that I sat for a goal... recently increased it to 90/95 I used nicotine patches. you can call your local health dep and they might could tell you how to receive them at a discount or even free and a smoking coach! I hope you stay focused and stop! Good luck! Keep me posted!

Trident 5cal gum is good to help and a drinking straw (helps to hold in hand replacing old habit with good habit)! If you can set mini goals (days of nonsmoking) reward yourself with something healthy. Mine was a much needed massage from a massage therapist when I lost 80 lbs! it was WONDERFUL!!!
    I hope I have encouraged ya! Keep me posted!
  • kristle_stewart
    kristle_stewart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I quit on December 8th, 2012. I was ready. I quit cold turkey. I gained 15 lbs from December to February, joined MFP and I have slowly been losing weight. Instead of focusing on the weight, I focus on how good I feel and am trying to gain lean muscle.

Good luck with your journey. Its not an easy journey, but as each day passes it gets easier.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on deciding to stop smoking. Smoked 3 packs a day for 33 years, quit 6 1/2 years ago.

Best thing you can ever do for yourself! Don't let the threat of possible weight gain stop you from quitting. Eat good, drink lots of water and exercise. Even if you gain a few pounds short term it will be well worth it in the long run! Best of luck!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I still do smoke...unfortunately. This year is my year though.

I remember some one once saying that smoking is more damaging to your health than any amount of weight you may gain from quitting. Also, smoking increases a calorie burn of about 200 a day (I have no references, and I am unsure if this is true).

Either way - once you get through the cold, your lungs will be able to do so much more for you and your body will pay it forward :D
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have you tried electronic cigarettes? It's not a nicotine replacement per se, because some still have nicotine in them. My boyfriend and I switched to them over a year ago and they're amazing. The ones we have use what's called e-liquid (only has four ingredients..nicotine, water, glycerin, and flavor)..there are 360+ flavors, my favorites are coconut and pina coloda, and you can adjust the nicotine levels so you can slowly wean yourself off of them.

I swear by the things..I used to smoke a pack a day and now the smell of cigarettes grosses me out. You should look into them. It wouldn't be as speedy as quitting cold-turkey, but its much more bearable.

Ditto to this. My ecig has changed my life! I tried quitting back in December and I packed on 15 lbs. I started smoking again a few months later. 2 months ago I tried ecigs and I've never looked back. My favorite is Honeydew Cotton Candy. So good!
  • crd2nd
    crd2nd Posts: 1
    Options
    I started dieting last August. This pass April I got a slight chest cold and couldn't smoke, decided it would be a great time to quit. So far, so good, I haven't smoked since April 7. I stayed on my diet but did notice I wasn't losing like I was before. There is a great program at the VA called "Mov" which is just about losing weight, exercise and eating, that I have been attending now for a few months. The pros at the VA said the average weight gain when you stop smoking is about 7 pounds. This is due to the body's metabolism slowing down compared to when you are inhaling nicotine and it is natural to compensate by eating more. It is common they say to see your weight loss slow down , like what happened with me, but the bottom line is you are only going to gain weight if you intake more calories. Exercise helps speed up the metabolism so I am walking a lot more than I was before, and I can even breath better doing it !! So just hang in there, if you hang with your diet you will not gain weight.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It's 75% MENTAL.... You have to REALLY want to Quit! Try Nicotine gum. e cig, or any other topical crutch you need for the first month or so. I would not even consider drugs. (The cure is worse than the disease). . Hydrate to flush the nicotine from your body. Cranberry juice is good. I used Nicotine gum and it helped me. I also used Positive n Negative reinforcement. Positive = put the $$ you spend a week into a jar labeled: Do whatever you want with this, you just burned it up anyway! Negative = Jar full of cigarette butts, labeled: "Or you can have this nasty crap". ( also you can open it and smell the nasty ashtray smell when you think of a cig.) Also pictures of black lungs, whatever helps you. Next I played mental scenarios in my mind with "fantasy battles against hordes of invading cigarettes to take my mind off of them.... " You are not the boss of me you little $$ grubbers. I am not going to be ruled by you, and your fat corporate bosses, etc...." whatever works to take your mind off it and boost your own self esteem. The more detailed the distraction the better it worked for me. :bigsmile: :wink: Now when I even smell a cigarette I go like that's gross you STINK! :laugh: Smoking is worse than the few lbs you may gain, you can work those off.
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I quit December 15, 2007 and have not looked back! Best thing you can do for yourself, so congrats on being ready! I found that I had a lot more time on my hands when I quit. I was doing the same things yet had more time. Strange. I didn't realize how much of my day was spent smoking. I gained weight and expected to gain some and have been working diligently to take it off and keep it off. The little bit of weight you gain in a small sacrifice to pay for lifelong health! Good luck on your journey! It's not going to be easy but it will be worth it!
  • BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just quit cold turkey in december. I would recommend having a good support team, avoiding other smokers/instances where you would smoke(i.e drinking, driving, basically your routine cigarettes), and get a hobby. My husband and I both former smokers who quit cold turkey found that we love cooking. It takes our minds off of it and the smells help kick the cravings(we grill a lot). And even with quitting and cookign more, neither one of us have gained weight from it.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 10 years ago. I gained weight, but I'd rather that than still be a smoker!

Quitting smoking is the single most precious and loving thing you can do for yourself. Get it right in your head first. Read Alan Carr's book while you're still smoking, hate the cigs BEFORE you stop and it will be easier.

I had a mantra that I truly believed, "I don't want to be an addict anymore", and recited it over and over when I had a craving. I taught myself to HATE it, not miss it. I learned to see it for what it was, satisfying an addiction and nothing more. I reprogrammed myself, so to speak. So, now I'm one of "those" ex-smokers who gets pissy whenever they even smell someone else's smoke, but so what? I'm clean, free of that addiction and SO happy.
  • sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    I've been a smoker for 24years and now I'm on day 6 of non smoking. I switched to the e-cig and chose the vanilla flavour and it makes my living room smell lovely,lol. I have been eating like a horse but it's in the evenings, not sure why, so I've upped my exercise to cover all the extra calories I'm consuming and my weight stayed the same this week despite all the rubbish I'm snacking on, still eating pretty healthy meals though. I'm hoping it won't be too long before the hungry all the time feeling goes. I'm more concerned by staying off the *kitten* right now than losing weight as I'm only 6lbs from my goal, so if I can maintain over the next month or so I'll be happy.
  • jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    Yes you do put weight on :-( But rather have a little fat than black lungs..

I smoked 40-60 a day for 21 years, woke up one day and said thats it no more smoking.

9 years in December , never missed them once.

I think you only give up ,when you really want to, like being over weight !

Once your ready TO FIGHT THE FLAB your ready and ABLE
  • 19Lindsay76
    19Lindsay76 Posts: 135
    Options
    First of all...Congratulations and way to go on the decision to quit smoking!!!:flowerforyou:
    I am an ex smoker myself, and i also had to do it cold turkey. yes it is a difficult journey, but you can so do it!! Gaining weight does NOT have to be a part of quitting smoking. As stated by someone else, that is only going to happen if u replace smoking with eating. When I quit, someone told me to replace them with drinking water, sounds wierd, but actually helpful...but i highly recommend exercise. At first u may be tired and that will sound terrible lol But when you are felling moody (or as in my case, like ripping the head off from teddy bears :wink: ) some kick as workouts really really helped me work off some of that edginess. Of course, it is completely different for everyone, and u have to do what works for you. At any rate, you got this...and we are all here to help u do this w/out sabotaging all your weight loss goals!
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking (cold turkey) and started my weight loss at the same time. Many people told me it was a recipe for disaster, but I was ready for the change. Less than a year later I am still smoke-free and have hit my goal weight. If you want something bad enough you will make it happen!
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Congrats !!
    My husband was a smoker for over 30 years - a pack a day, he TRIED EVERYTHING, the electronic cigarettes were not strong enough for him, the patch and gum did not work and everything else just was not working
    BUT....check out vaporizers, they are the newest thing.......he quit the day he got one. It has the nicotene in the juice, but not all the harsh chemicals that a cigarette has and it SMELLS SO MUCH better. You can get all different flavors, and he loves it, he just wishes that he would of found it earlier.
  • estielouise
    estielouise Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have made the decision to quit too. I have been smoking since I was 19years old, I am now 34! Enough is Enough! Today is my last day as a smoker, I am saying goodbye to it, and first thing tomorrow, I am going into town to get me a proper e-cig, with the different flavours!

I have tried an e-cig before but it was a cheap one and they are worse than smoking the real thing! So I am not going to skimp I am going to get one that costs £40 quid (uk), ish - but it will be worth it, a months worth of vapour is about 80% cheaper than a pack a day or like me a pack every two days ( I am not a heavy smoker, but I can't seem to quit cold turkey, have tried!)

I need to improve my lungs and health and not feel like I am struglling after exercise! I also need to quit for the career change I have decided to do, I want to be a beauty therapist and start training in September to become a beautician, nobody wants a facial or manicure from someone who smells like smoke!
    If you need support (I know I will), feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck, what ever you decide to do! We can do it if we want it bad enough!