Not so much a rant and profile pictures

Options

Replies

• Mayor86
    Mayor86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i have a picture so my friends know its me, I dont have any friends on her yet but who i do they'll recognize me.

P.S. Add me
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like seeing a picture of a face too but I will say I have some pretty awesome friends with quotes, and family or pets as their pictures.
  • Enny2405
    Enny2405 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have always had photos on my profile - but lately I am using motivational pictures to motivate me and maybe others. Seeing positive sayings over and over again is a good way to start believing it and getting it into the subconscious. Anyone that I have as a friend can look through my profile to see what I look like if they ever forget :tongue: But yes -- it is nice to put a face to the name. (I am also guilty of occasionally using a photo of my most precious - my beautiful cat)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I run from cameras so there are very few pictures of me. I've had too many negative comments when I do get the courage to post a picture of myself. I realize I should not care what other's think, but when you have low self esteem and are self conscious to begin with...the comments only make things worse. On top of that...I am very, very shy.:blushing:
    I also run from cameras. I sometimes think I look really good in the mirror take a photo and its horrible. I can't take good pictures I have no idea why
    You safe from shaming here. You post pictures only when it's right for you. That's your decision. I am just opening up a dialog that might be affecting you. Are people with out photos treated differently than those with photos. Is the problem worse for men. Are more women stand offish is a man decides to be totally anonymous. Do you ignore friend requests from people without photos?

Sometimes I use mine others times I use motivating ones like I have now.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    pictures are cool but to each their own
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    don't wanna intimidate anyone by posting face pics, we're all gonna make it
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If they have a photo of a face how do you know it's them anyway it could be any random pic off Google.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I feel like if somebody won't take the time to post a picture as their avatar (ANY picture) they probably won't stick around very long. In my experience, for most people anyway, if you're committed enough to log in every day and lose weight by sticking to your goals, you'll at least personalize your profile a little.

So if someone hasn't done anything to their profile, or has only made 3 posts in a 6 month period, I tend to not take them very seriously. This doesn't apply to everyone of course, it's just based what I've seen so far here.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm pissed that I can't have more than 18 pics on here! ... and I'm a total selfie *kitten*. Add me! :laugh:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Wow! a provocative question!

Yeah, I just started posting and noted that most posters have at least some photos. I only recently starting adding friends (from mfp).Previous to that, I had a couple of friends and my personal trainer from the gym. I love a good sense of humor, more than anything. I figure that we are all in the same boat, trying to lose weight or tone or get healthy, whatever--so what does it matter what one looks like?
    I also kind of look at demographics, both age and geographic and anything else that the poster and I might have in common.

I had a gray face when I started ( October 2012) and recently posted a picture (3 weeks ago), and hope that it doesn't dissuade anyone from adding me. One of these days I will fill out "about me" stuff.

I hope that shy people understand that we are all trying to improve and not to judge.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I post a pic and fill in all my profile stuff because I think it is important that people realise what a great guy I am:love:

Seriously, while I don't discriminate when accepting friends against those who don't have a pic and don't fill in their profiles, I prefer to see what they look like and learn something about them as it makes it easier to make a connection. Some 'friends' you never get to know really, some you do despite it being an internet thing only, and I think that personal link is important from a mutual support point of view.
  • Alatariel2002
    Alatariel2002 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    <----taking a leap of faith and putting up a pic of myself *hides*

This pic is the most recent I have...it is from a cell phone last Oct (at my heaviest) at a photo session with the in-laws. Not the best quality of pics
  • OhSnap779
    OhSnap779 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    With so many different screen names to remember, it is nice to have faces to go with them. If there is a face I will remember who is who better, and that helps me be a better motivator and supportive friend.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I post a pic and fill in all my profile stuff because I think it is important that people realise what a great guy I am:love:
    And we realise that Ron ;-)
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also run from cameras. I sometimes think I look really good in the mirror take a photo and its horrible. I can't take good pictures I have no idea why
    There has been studies done that show that a person is more likely to like a picture of themselves that's a reversed image than if if it's a true image because we only really see ourselves in the mirror and we're familiar with how that looks.
    Friends are more likely to like photographs of you that's the true image rather than the reversed image because they're use to their true image.

I don't know how I feel about people and their profile pictures. I find a hard time connecting, I guess, if they don't have any kind of picture at all, even a quote is better than that gray silhouette.
    When we go online we get to basically build our identity. We make up our own names, we get to chose the image that represents us and we chose the details we want to share about ourselves.
    I feel when a person posts a picture of themselves they're making themselves more open because there's a connection between who they are in their real life and in their virtual life.
    Kind of? Not necessarily. I don't know what I'm talking about.
  • Insathius
    Insathius Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love being able to see peoples progress and actually speaking to a face but I really don't mind either way, the more connections I have the stronger I feel to move forwards.
  • ladynissa
    ladynissa Posts: 1
    Options
    Hola...

I use to be the picture of the sunset gal until a person that was actually interested in ME as a person and asked for much the same reasons you did...just to place a "face" with the personality. Ironically , now I don't trust a "faceless" person as readily on the web to much for whatever reason.

The weight I carried definately deterred me from posting initially.
    I met a friend on line who posted all kinds of pictures and she was absolutely beautiful...and twice the size as I was. In short she lived her life in front of and behind the camera and SHE was happy...and I wanted happy and accepted the face God gave me since I'd have it the rest of my life and all...lol.

I finally got people will either accept or reject you for one reason or another...and I found out just how many appreciated Nissa "as is".....Nissa became one :)
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hola...

I use to be the picture of the sunset gal until a person that was actually interested in ME as a person and asked for much the same reasons you did...just to place a "face" with the personality. Ironically , now I don't trust a "faceless" person as readily on the web to much for whatever reason.

The weight I carried definately deterred me from posting initially.
    I met a friend on line who posted all kinds of pictures and she was absolutely beautiful...and twice the size as I was. In short she lived her life in front of and behind the camera and SHE was happy...and I wanted happy and accepted the face God gave me since I'd have it the rest of my life and all...lol.

I finally got people will either accept or reject you for one reason or another...and I found out just how many appreciated Nissa "as is".....Nissa became one :)

LOVE THIS!!!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I find that the facial expression of the person in the photo has more to do with whether or not I'm comfortable being myself when talking to them. For example: Someone who is flexing with a generally unpleasant or even smug or intimidating look on their face is not likely to have me open up to them. This is not to say that they are unpleasant, rude, smug or anything, they could be the most encouraging person on the planet, but having dealt with hurtful comments and actions my whole life I'm not likely to open up to a person who's photo I find intimidating.

I do find that I do have more of a connection with people with photos, but again.. it all depends on what kind of photo they have.
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    how do you know i'm not a cat?

But that's the point of the internet!

Also I find Gilgamesh more inspiring than myself. I started with a picture of me (even though I don't really enjoy how I look most times), but realized I was going to be better off channeling my inner spirit-villain.