Why Why Why

Options
13»

Replies

• Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Motivation can be the hardest thing to find. For that, I would suggest you post your small victories. Like saying no to the free donuts at the shop, or switching your coffee too black or changing it to tea. There is no one solution. But so long as you post the victories, they will be there, and the community will respond. You will see the good choices you made and in a lot less time than you think, you will start to see the results in the mirror. What I did was I joined a challenge group. People doing what I was doing to help me stay accountable. and I've lost 51 pounds! The key to weight loss is nutrition. You have MyFitness pal. If you REALLY want to see results consider putting some serious thought into your diet. If you drive a sleeper rig, get a small fridge installed and load it up with the good stuff.

My fat shredder diet (suggest to me in my group) was this

1800 calories a day in food
    50% protein (can be hard but it IS doable)
    30% carbs (no carbs for supper as they turn into fat if you don't burn them)
    20% fat (of course try to make them healthy fats)

Chicken, fish, protein shakes, quest bars (best protein bars I can find on the market because they have low sugar), greek yogurts, all natural peanut butter, almonds. and as much veggies as you want (Other than avacados [fats] and carrots [sugar] have these in moderation)

I follow simple rules like single ingredient foods. A Dorito has 47 ingredients. Broccoli has... well broccoli in it Fish has fish, chicken well you get the idea.

Nutrition is 80% of fitness. without it even the most grueling workout program will get you nowhere.

I hope some of this helps. If you have any questions feel free to message me. ^.^
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a documentary I watched called " Fat, Sick, and nearly dead" they have a website http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

in this documentary there is a trucker and he is at least 450lbs. It shows his transformation with exercise, and juicing (getting raw veggies and putting them in a juicer) for his meals.

This really motivated me to start my weight-loss journey though I havent tried juicing yet. I know people that do, and have had great success with it.

Oh, I'm glad you recommended that because I was about to! That is exactly what I thought of after reading the OP's post.

To Patrick: Please watch that documentary! Also, I know this sounds extreme, but maybe a career change would really turn things around for you? If it's a possibility, find something that makes you happier.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    OK this may sound totally stupid and if so, forgive. Me. Can you get a dog? To keep you company on the road. I know it isn't the same as human companionship but..... you wouldn't be alone. Someone else would be relying on you. He/she would need walks forcing you to stop and get little walks in once in a while.

THIS

The whole time I was reading the OP I was thinking you should get a dog. A medium or large dog (let's be honest) that has an "average" exercise/energy level would be good. This way, it's not a jack russel or something that needs TONS of exercise, which in your line of work isn't going to happen, but also not a low-energy dog. A medium-sized dog would also fit comfortably in your truck. It would be good to have someone depending on you for fun, walks, love, proper meals (not just a bag of chips and a chocolate bar). And the best thing about dogs is that they absolutely want your love. You can lean on them as much as you possibly can (though, perhaps not literally) and they will always be there for you, with a wagging tail and big, understanding eyes.

I really wish I had a dog now, but it's just not possible. You can get one and tell me all about your adventures together though!! ;) haha.

Anyways, long story short, I think a dog would be a great way for you to have non-judgemental companionship. Plus you could use him/her for and excuse to exercise! Perfect! ;)
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Support is nice but not a necessity. I have no real support(other than MFP where everyone has been awesome) and the person who was closest to me downplayed my weight loss alot("ohhh it's not that big of deal", "anyone could do that"). Yup. That is the stuff he told me.
    You can do it. Make small changes first. Like cut out soda(if you drink it). Maybe cut out sugary stuff once a week at first and then twice a week and you get the idea. I was over 300lbs at one point and totally overwhelmed. I concentrated first on diet changes and didn't even add in exercise until I felt like I could control my eating habits. One thing at a time.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Patrick, I feel for you more than you know. My Dad was your size give or take a 100 lbs (depending on the year). I understand with your job the inability to eat very well or exercise very much. My brother is planning to start driving soon and with his weight being on the upwards of 350 I worry for him. In all honesty, my Dad lost his life at 53 to weight. It was a drug side effect that put him in the bed for the first time in his life, but it was his weight that kept him there and the fluid on his heart built up. I say that to say this. If I had had one wish it would have been that his insurance had approved him for gastric bypass. If they had I truly believe he would be here with me today. If you have the ability to do that, do it. Screw people saying lose it all on your own. If you are offered that tool take it! I know others have mentioned it, but a career change would be ideal. There is a reason most truckers are in bad health. It's a hard job on the body. I wish you all the luck in the world.