Can't understand not being able to get all your calories...

Options

Replies

• Selendraco
    Selendraco Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For a long while I ate just one time a day... obviously even with calculations it doesn't equal the min cal amount.
    That is not lying or going through denial or not putting in calories.

I was a close to your sarcastic and brash comment
    It's just so "amazing" how a 350 pound 5'3" female that's 35 and has been overweight her whole life eating tons of god knows what can download MFP and magically 6 days later "can't bear" to eat 1400 calories in a day. lbs example.

I weighed a lot, only ate once a day and Yes it was a struggle to get out of the habit and eat more and more calories. Eating only once didn't help me lose weight, and before you think it was a huge meal, sometimes it consisted of just a bowl of soup.

Not the healthiest, I will admit but doesn't make all people devious. Even recently eating three meals I didn't reach my minimum goal. It happens.
    just showing the other side of the coin.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

If you don't eat enough your body stores all it can in fat and when it does burn energy it burns muscle over fat. So weaker body and fatter body. Starving your body can cause weight gain. That's why all those staving kids in those commercials have little beer bellies. The body is trying its best to optimize your energy take less calories to burn muscle than fat. Thus your BMI is lower. Body is protecting you but at the same time making your fat percentage go up. Every carb that you take in is stored instead of burned as energy
    I'm afraid your understanding of biology is way off. Just because it's written on the internet does not mean it's true
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I don't log most of my Veggies or Fruits because I don't feel they should take up my daily food requirements/calories. Fruits and veggies are a necessity to me so I just eat them whenever I want and not log it, unless its with a meal (sometimes) like today I had a banana with lunch and I was at my desk so I just added it all together. But if I want a snack and make a salad with 10 different veggies I just eat it, guilt free anyways so I don't count it.

I couldn't possibly be the only one who does this? My calorie goal according to MFP is 1,650/day (without cardio) and I'm always within 200 calories, give or take, from that without fruits and veggies being logged anyways. I also do measure out with measuring cups and spoons how much I am eating so when when I put 2 tsp of mustard on a sandwich, I actually am. If I say I ate 15 potato chips because that's a serving on the bag I will actually count 15 chips so I can log it correctly. I find it fun and entertaining.
    Lol, I do the same thing with chips, crackers etc....My husband laughed the first time, he said "are you actually counting those chips?" yes, yes I am :laugh: . I do however log my fruit and veggies, only so I know what I'm eating and if I start to feel crappy....it's usually because I'm not eating enough of the fruit/veggie etc.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

If you don't eat enough your body stores all it can in fat and when it does burn energy it burns muscle over fat. So weaker body and fatter body. Starving your body can cause weight gain. That's why all those staving kids in those commercials have little beer bellies. The body is trying its best to optimize your energy take less calories to burn muscle than fat. Thus your BMI is lower. Body is protecting you but at the same time making your fat percentage go up. Every carb that you take in is stored instead of burned as energy
    I'm afraid your understanding of biology is way off. Just because it's written on the internet does not mean it's true
    Maybe i didnt explain it right, maybe biology is so complex no one can be completely right with only a single paragraph of information. I have grabbed onto that idea because of my experience and than talking with my GP and a dietician after finding MFP and asking them why this was the case. For me I was gaining weight when my average intake was under 1k and I was so weak I was sitting around all day. Then I increased to about 1.1k and started running. No longer having weight gain or was lossing. Increased to over 1.5k and now I loss weight about a pound or more every week. I am told something that fits what is going on with me than I am going to believe it more than a few people on here saying all people that say they are fat but can't eat to 1.2 k calories are liars. Starvation mode for me seems real. I lived that concept from march 2012 to late march 2013. Of course I wasn't tracking my food until I was on MFP, but my diet was constantly bland and minimal with very little meat protein and for awhile no glutton. When I got weighed in the ER in 2012 I was 20 pounds lighter than the first day I started MFP. Funny thing was before the ER I was always eating greasy tacos half dozen at a time, drinking butt loads of carbs in alcohol and than post ER during 2012 eating so little. The first few weeks I dropped 15 pounds than that stopped and I slowly gained that back and more until I taught myself how to eat more calories while still controlling what type of food I ate. It was my understanding of starvation mode that is helping me loss weight
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It's a mental thing. What most people really mean is "I can't stand the thought of eating any more healthy food". I can almost guarantee that if they were to get carte blanche to eat dessert, they'd find their appetite. We've all experienced this at some point. Say at Thanksgiving, you eat until you can't even think about another bit of turkey and can't imagine eating any more food. But as soon as someone sets that pie in front of you...game on. It takes time to stop thinking of it as "gross but healthy" food and start thinking of it as just food. I was actually quite excited yesterday when I realized I had a can of sliced carrots I hadn't eaten yet, because I was craving the sweetness of boiled carrots. That is something that fat me would have believed impossible.
  • zartnew
    zartnew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've actually dealt with this... although I've never been over 130 lbs. (I'm 5'0.) Lately, I only eat one meal a day, and I'm stuffed... even if it's all junk food, it still doesn't make it enough calories. I tried recently to force myself to eat more calories, even drinking chocolate milk to get some, but I just got full and felt sick.

In my case, I'm only -slightly- overweight, but it still isn't healthy. I have gained weight recently, but I think it's more that the lack of calories/a good sleep schedule make it so I'm completely 100% sedentary... not good.

I was on some medicines before that really made me eat, and at the time, I was upset because I was afraid I was going to gain weight. XD but, now that I'm on my own... I just have no appetite. seriously. Actually, I vaguely remember in gradeschool, my gym teacher would hover over me and force me to finish my food because I was so underweight, so I don't think it's completely a new problem.

But I don't know if it's the fact that I only eat like... 700-800 cals a day that makes me unhealthy. I think it probably has more to do with me being so inactive. (when I do exercise, even a bit of yoga makes me lose weight really quickly. I guess the low calories probably help, but only when I'm actually doing it.) When I'm eating less, it does seem like I lose a lot of muscle though. But again, it's probably the inactivity. still, It does look pretty bad. "skinnyfat" is what they call it I think.
    First, I lose weight- but in a sickly way, like if you lose it after the flu. And then, I lose muscle tone... and gain some fat from inactivity. which all in all just makes me look sloppy, and it's definitely not healthy.

It could also just be my perception of myself, too. When I'm too tired from not eating, and I feel ill, I'm not very likely to see myself as healthy, even if I have lost weight. I just look sickly. lol.
  • zartnew
    zartnew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would be jealous though... food is good. It's necessary. And when you can't seem to make yourself get the essentials, it really has an impact on your health. I'm going to have to really try to expand my food intake slowly up again.

Also, If you've ever been to a nursing home, or even a hospital, you can clearly see how not getting enough food can be a huge problem... We need it for so many things. Immune system, energy, mental health, bodily functions... Don't assume that someone is lying when they say it's a problem. I doubt they're doing it to gloat.

We're all just here to get healthy, I think. :)
  • Cerdice
    Cerdice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had odd days when I've got to my evening meal with 700 to 800 calories left. I tend to eat a lot of veggies and fruit so it is possible to eat a low amount of calories and feel full. I don't often have a meal that would pick up those amount of calories (now that I'm being careful over what a portion is) but I am conscious to try and then have a snack later that will help. If that happens to give me an excuse to have some ice cream, well so be it :wink:

I think pointing to the fact that people that say this used to be/are fat and therefore how can they genuinely find not eating enough to be a problem, is rather a naiive argument. It is possible that by eating more vegetables and beans etc in place of junk food that people can find themselves fuller quicker and therefore not overeat as they did before. That is part of what many of us need to learn afterall.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Well I hate to tell you all.
    But I have a Calorie Goal of 1200.
    Most of the time I get only around 1140 calories a day.

I am 66 years old and can only walk about 30 mins a day, I have arthritis in my Hip and back
    I also have tendonitis in both feet, just walking the 30 mins a day, is a real feat for me.

I eat 3 meals a day and have 3 snacks.
    I log everything I take in my mouth.

I do not work as I am retired and my husband is retired and will be 70 this year.
    With all of this being said, I have lost 13 pounds and 2 inches off of my waist.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I workout enough to burn off MORE than MFP gives me in calories. I get 1345 (my own setting) and I burn about 1500 at least daily. So for me to eat ALL of that back as well is hard. How is that hard to understand? I'm not able to eat close to 3000 a day, even when I was fat I never ate that much at all. How is that blowing your mind?
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am exactly this way too. And, no, I also don't understand the whole "I can't eat up to 1200 calories day" either. I LOVE food!!! Nom nom nom ... :tongue:
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you mean. I have never come within 500 of eating my calories back. Some days I have 3000 left. I try to get to 2000 a day and most days get close, but if I skip a meal, then it gets harder. I'm not going to eat a piece of cake just to get calories in me.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I actually managed to eat below 1200 calories a couple of days without feeling hungry several months ago, so I see how it's possible. Now, I wasn't actually trying for such a low goal, but too many veggies combined with low calorie/no-fat versions of foods got me there. That being said, covering the difference is easy in most cases, so most of the people claiming that they "can't eat their calories" are either ignorant of how to do it properly (like I was, so no judgment from my end) or being dishonest in an attempt to justify eating so little (note that I said "most" since some people would legitimately need fewer calories than that).
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's something I will never understand...

I have no issues reaching my calorie goal and could happily eat more! I use full fat on most products and cook with butter and olive oil. I get over 100g protein a day without supplements.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Some days I go over (more often than not) but sometimes I am a couple hundred less than my limit and not hungry enough to eat whats left. (Happens on days I work out usually! More to burn?)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I guess some people just do not understand that if you are not hungry then don't eat for the sake of a number.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You eat fries and cake and your cals are set way low. That's how it is never an issue for you
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you eat

if you eat lean meat and veg, its harder to get up to a higher calorie amount

if you eat processed foods or high fat/high carb foods, you will find it easier to fill out your calorie criteria.

Sometimes i find it hard to eat high amounts of food because I am just not bothered, and i appreciate food alot more than when i used to, i didnt even realise i was snacking constantly so my stomach stopped telling me it was full. I cant eat anywhere near the same amount for the past few years

My calories go from 900 -> 2300 depending on what i ate, and if i trained. I try not to have days of 900 cals very often, so a spoon and nut butter comes in useful.

oh yeah lets not forget my PCOS/insulin resistance problems :)
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different reasons why they gained weight and they also have different reasons why it's not always easy to meet their calorie goals. I gained from a combination of an injured hip, which kept me from moving as much as I had, and drinking wayyyy to many coffee drinks.

Once I was diagnosed with high blood pressure I immediately changed my coffee habit. This has probably cut back my calories 1000+ a day. I also began going to PT for my hip. I'm now moving more.

As far as eating, some days I'm just to tired to eat. I'm working 48 hours over the next 3 days and by Sunday will probably not be in the mood to eat hardly anything. Other days are so hot that it makes me lose my appetite.

There are many reasons people have. They've begun eating healthier foods for medical reasons etc.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You eat fries and cake and your cals are set way low. That's how it is never an issue for you

The sodium alone would keep enough water in my body that I' have trouble working out. Wow. I've never ever ever had such high fat foods...for breakfast? I'd be sick on that diet even when fat.