Can't understand not being able to get all your calories...

Options

Replies

• 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    yea its funny to me how people say how easy it is to hit say 2k calories and then open the diary and see what that 2k is made up of.

eating processed high dense calorie foods vs high nutrient LOW calorie foods is a HUGE difference..

also dont forget alot are not taking in enough water as well.

Everyone makes that choice on what types of calories they choose to eat. Some feel its simple cal in cal out to lose a weight number but then some prefer to have quality calories for other purposes of building muscle, bones all around good health for the rest of their lives.
  • chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that problem. :frown:

Me neither. I wish I had problems like that :tongue:

me neither... is there a pill for that? LOL :laugh:
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    My daily goal is 1500, but I only hit that goal about 1-2 times a week. The rest of the week I hover right around 1200. I am small (5'0) and don't always have a big appetite. For me I'm not focused so much on that number, but paying attention to my body for cues that I'm hungry. Not saying that I don't ever have a day where I hit 1700 or 1800 calories, but those are really rare - maybe once a month. I'm not having any problems losing weight. I think every body is different and has different nutritional needs. I eat a lot of lean protein, veggies and fruit, but I try not to eat too many (if any) grains due to tummy problems and maybe if I did I would be able to meet those calorie goals.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Usually, those people are miscalculating and/or lying to themselves and/or depriving themselves to be dramatic.

It's just so "amazing" how a 350 pound 5'3" female that's 35 and has been overweight her whole life eating tons of god knows what can download MFP and magically 6 days later "can't bear" to eat 1400 calories in a day.

I can eat 1400 calories in a meal if I am not careful!! Not that I am a 350 pound 5'3" female that's 35 and has been overweight her whole life, but I get your point. A large part of eating for most of us is "mental" meaning it is a habit. Habits are not made or broken that quickly.

When I was first changing my eating habits, I did have times when it was danged hard to put away 1000 calories, but I had medical intervention there. (Side effect from meds = no appetite at all... would literally FORGET to eat!)
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Usually, those people are miscalculating and/or lying to themselves and/or depriving themselves to be dramatic.

It's just so "amazing" how a 350 pound 5'3" female that's 35 and has been overweight her whole life eating tons of god knows what can download MFP and magically 6 days later "can't bear" to eat 1400 calories in a day.

Because ya know, people can't change their eating habits can they? /sarcasm

Argue all you want that you can eat things like ice cream, bread, cake, pop tarts, twinkies, etc... in moderation and still lose weight....Good for you guys,but it's not the same for everyone. I used to be one of those people who could eat 2-3k + calories easily in one day eating that kind of food because that kind of food never filled me up, and no - I was not good with moderation or making better choices at the time.

I switched to a keto lifestyle and it satiates my appetite, took away my intense cravings for sweets, and as an added bonus I never feel ravenous like I used to. I started at 218, and am now around 169 (I say around because of TOM.)

I am one of those over weight chicks (5'6 @ 169 lbs - however, have not always been overweight my entire life) that can't bear to get anywhere near 1400 calories a day because I changed my eating habits.

It's not too hard to understand.

Edit: Just so you know I'm not lying to myself or miscalculating - I am meticulous about my intake. I weigh out everything on a digital kitchen scale, and never take the weight on the box at face value. I make sure that the info entered (nutrition facts) are also correct before finalizing my logging.

Don't always make such assumptions just because you fail to understand things.

Oh, and I almost forgot...I was just hired on at a company who during the new hire meeting put a large tub in the conference room filled to the brim with candy bars, ice, chips and soda....

You know who didn't have any? This lady right here! Saying "no" to junk has never been easier in my entire life - even when it's right under my nose!

I also had to turn down our comp lunch too (they served stuffed shells with a huge piece of garlic toast, ice cream, and apple juice!)

I was hungry, but wasn't going to stray from my keto lifestyle, and just waited until after the meeting to get lunch.
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1. Not everyone is over weight for the same reason. Me, I got over weight after having 4 children while being under the assumption It was my responsiblity to "eat for two" when in reality I only needed to eat about 400 cals above maintenance.
    2. healthy food goes further than junk food. If I eat nothing but ravioli, treats, and pretty much non satisfying food (that is ussually triple the cal intake per serving) I could eat 3000 calories easy without even trying, but when I eat lean chicken breast, and vegies, and things with sufficient protien ect, it not only has a lot less cals per serving (leaving more food to eat through the day) but keeps me full longer.
    3. With the dieting myth that you pretty much have to starve yourself to lose weight, so many people's metabolism has been out of wack for years, I see that in my friends here, and my friends in the real world.
    4. drinking your calories. I used to drink so many calories, sweet tea alone... I don't even want to think about it lol, but does sweet tea fill you up? no, it just replaced the water that I now drink that has 0 calories. And then theres those that had a soda habit... do you know how much room for food calories that leaves if they gave it up (mostly)?

Point being, not everyone is the same. We came here to learn better eating habits and as you can see from above, can result to a larger food intake than what we were actually eating before.

THIS!!!!!!!!! lol It actually amazes me that people DON'T understand why it's harder to eat enough when you are eating right. You worded it excellently. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Habits are not made or broken that quickly.

Speak for yourself. I've been great for 506 days in a row, no cheat days, no days of rest..... you know whay? Because if I take tomorrow off for whatever reason.... then I'll make an excuse the following day. I WILL break the habit I've had for the past 506 days ....in ONE day. The ADHD in me will let me do that in an instant.

DOn't assume habits can't be made or broken that fast. It took me less than 1 day to start this habit, Feb 7th was 'the day I saw how fat I was" Feb 8th was the day I started changing that.....a habit made.
  • ShellK71
    ShellK71 Posts: 33
    Options
    sorry I eat my calories and then exercise takes it off. I am not going to eat more just to hit my calorie count for the day when I am not hungry. I m also a stress eater and on meds for anxiety. Kills my appetite and makes me lose weight faster. I lost 20 pounds before coming on this site. I actually gained yesterday and ate very close to my calorie cap and really didn't exercise. I also drank several sodas a day. I went cold turkey on them and drink only water now. That right there is a huge decline in my daily calorie and sugar consumption. And lump us all together and say we are lying about what we eat or exercise or what not. Heck I walk 5 miles at work every day. But I don't count that as exercise cause while it's walking its not getting my heart rate up. So I guess I lie since I don't log that.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I get it. I remember back when I used to 'diet', so many things were off limits and I felt guilt for eating any high calorie foods. It was difficult to hit my calorie goals for the day because I didn't know what I could eat.

That's not the case for me anymore.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just don't get around to eating all of my calories. But not being able to? That I don't get. I could go over everything on ONE good restaurant meal ...

And regarding habits being made or broken easily:

"The reality is, habits are easier to make than they are to break. If you repeat a behavior often enough, those synaptic pathways are going to get worn in. The human brain is a very adaptive piece of machinery. But does that take 21 days? Who knows? Everyone's brain is different, and habit formation also relies on aspects of experience and personality.

Breaking a habit is a lot more complicated, because while parts of those worn-in pathways can weaken without use, they never go away [source: Rae-Dupree]. They can be reactivated with the slightest provocation [source: Delude]. If you've ever tried to quit smoking, you already know this. You can go a year without a cigarette, and then give in one time and BAM, the habit comes right back.

The best you can do, then, is to form a new, parallel pattern"

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/form-a-habit1.htm
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It is all about choices of the foods they eat.

I have issues most days depending on m activity level and I refuse to eat crap.

I use olive oil when I cook and if i have toast it's butter...but still if I garden for 4 hours wham I have so much to eat to make up for that activity I just can't do it...and I am not going to eat just to reach a number. The only day since joining here that I have even come close was yesterdy...I ate A&W, then had a store bought muffin...on normal days my diet is fruits/veggies/lean protiens and the occasional carb like bread/potatoes etc.

Check my diary and I log everything....even the real sugar in my coffee and cream (as i wont give that up).
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It just blows my mind!! I feel so jealous every time I read this! I literally can't imagine what that is like, or how it leads to weight gain....

Anyone able to enlighten me in my ignorance?

I think good bit of this comes from having been force-fed the idealism that to lose weight, the priority is to eat as little as possible, period, without regard to calculating a specific deficit. This can be particularly challenging when first confronted by the TDEE calculations because the associated numbers can be higher than we might expect.

In other cases, it could be a matter of satiety. Especially when eating healthier foods, it's possible to fill your stomach up before meeting the calculated / directed calorie levels.

Then, there can also be the pragmatic aspect. People who don't like to cook can be frustrated when trying to find readily available, healthy foods to be alternatives to eating easily accessible junk food.

You can also have freaks like me who face challenges due to how high our goals are. Even though I like to cook, my activity levels put me at between 3000-4000 calories a day for maintenance. Between my day-to-day time constraints and only having so much food available, I can often find it challenging to get up to those higher levels without turning to some kind of processed or junk food. But I rarely get upset because I'm usually still eating plenty of food so I'm not hungry, plus I know the key is to simply find ways to get more healthy calories into the food I make.
  • galahadoc
    galahadoc Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't log most of my Veggies or Fruits because I don't feel they should take up my daily food requirements/calories. Fruits and veggies are a necessity to me so I just eat them whenever I want and not log it, unless its with a meal (sometimes) like today I had a banana with lunch and I was at my desk so I just added it all together. But if I want a snack and make a salad with 10 different veggies I just eat it, guilt free anyways so I don't count it.

I couldn't possibly be the only one who does this? My calorie goal according to MFP is 1,650/day (without cardio) and I'm always within 200 calories, give or take, from that without fruits and veggies being logged anyways. I also do measure out with measuring cups and spoons how much I am eating so when when I put 2 tsp of mustard on a sandwich, I actually am. If I say I ate 15 potato chips because that's a serving on the bag I will actually count 15 chips so I can log it correctly. I find it fun and entertaining.

Maybe you would be better off on a weight watchers system rather than counting calories. The weight watchers point system don't count most fruit and veg. But realistically a banana is over a 100 calories - fruit and veg scattered throughout the day could easily rack up 4-500 calories - I think you're almost cheating yourself by not counting them.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I couldn't understand it either...at first.

Then I switched to < 30 carb per day, (medical reasons) high fat & found that getting all my carbs from raw veggies in conjunction with eating things like full fat cream, butter bacon, coconut oil etc. For me, I feel full way before I'm reaching a caloric goal.

So I stopped trying to do that. I eat when hungry, and according to my glucometer. It's the only number I'm interested in these days. :ohwell:
  • CBrook04
    CBrook04 Posts: 107
    Options
    Before I started changing my eating habits I only drank soda.. can you imagine how many calories I was consuming a day just by liquid?! Now that I've switched to water (min 8 glasses a day) I'm cutting out all of those calories - plus I'm feeling fuller.

Sure, I ate more than 1200 calories a day before, but it was all in processed foods in large amounts. Not eating any breakfast (sometimes no lunch) & then eating a bunch at evening/night. Now that I eat starting in the morning, I feel full & satisfied and it only takes a small amount of food to get me back there when I'm hungry. & then add exercise calories to a person that barely moved before..

I can't speak for everyone but I used to eat out of pure boredom, not because I needed it to function.
    I'm learning to tell when I'm actually hungry. I don't eat when I'm not hungry, that's what got me here in the first place.
    I'm also learning to eat at specific times so I don't feel too hungry & go overboard while eating.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem hitting my calorie goal everyday (NET around 1600), I have a problem hitting my calorie goal while staying healthy.
    I could easily eat a 300 calorie bar of chocolate every evening to eat back my exercise calories. I would (and do) struggle to find 300 healthy calories, which seems to be about my usual leftover after all my meals.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    1. Not everyone is over weight for the same reason. Me, I got over weight after having 4 children while being under the assumption It was my responsiblity to "eat for two" when in reality I only needed to eat about 400 cals above maintenance.
    2. healthy food goes further than junk food. If I eat nothing but ravioli, treats, and pretty much non satisfying food (that is ussually triple the cal intake per serving) I could eat 3000 calories easy without even trying, but when I eat lean chicken breast, and vegies, and things with sufficient protien ect, it not only has a lot less cals per serving (leaving more food to eat through the day) but keeps me full longer.
    3. With the dieting myth that you pretty much have to starve yourself to lose weight, so many people's metabolism has been out of wack for years, I see that in my friends here, and my friends in the real world.
    4. drinking your calories. I used to drink so many calories, sweet tea alone... I don't even want to think about it lol, but does sweet tea fill you up? no, it just replaced the water that I now drink that has 0 calories. And then theres those that had a soda habit... do you know how much room for food calories that leaves if they gave it up (mostly)?

Point being, not everyone is the same. We came here to learn better eating habits and as you can see from above, can result to a larger food intake than what we were actually eating before.

This is exactly right, I was never overweight to begin with but stopped myself before I got out of control because it runs in my family. I used to drink 2 energy drinks a day, that's about 460 calories, tie that in with 2 McDonald's double cheeseburgers and there's another 880 calories (without the fries) , and neither keep you full a long time. Lets compare that to a decent balanced meal of chicken, cottage cheese broccoli and water 24oz of baked chicken breast and one full cup of non reduced fat cottage cheese is still less than the 2 energy drinks and 2 double cheeseburgers. I don't see how it's so hard for some people to understand how its hard to reach your calorie goal, especially when we're talking about eating back exercise calories. I had to quit insanity because with how many calories my HRM said I burned even with my increase appetite I would be eating ALL DAY LONG and still not get my calories in unless I ate a huge piece of cake, and then I'm over one of my macros.. Not everyone can manage eating that much. Not to mention how much money the added food costs.
  • vickilowell
    vickilowell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think I just snorted coffee through my nose.....some of you are hilarious. I don't understand the problem either. I think it might be "newbies" that are afraid to eat and don't understand that too few calories are just as dangerous as the old bad habits of overeating they are trying to break free from? That and like the others said, delusion just a bit......
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It just blows my mind!! I feel so jealous every time I read this! I literally can't imagine what that is like, or how it leads to weight gain....

Anyone able to enlighten me in my ignorance?

In my old way of eating, I didn't eat a LOT, but what I ate was nutritionally horrid.

500 calories of Chicken Breast fills you up a LOT faster than 500 calories of a burger would
    2 cups of broccoli fill you faster than fries ever would. But with a lot less calories.
    It's definitely an adjustment, so cut them some slack :-)
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I get it. I remember back when I used to 'diet', so many things were off limits and I felt guilt for eating any high calorie foods. It was difficult to hit my calorie goals for the day because I didn't know what I could eat.

That's not the case for me anymore.

That's you - not everyone else. Your personal experiences aren't =/= to everyone else's experiences.

Either way, I like my lifestyle and I've never been happier. It's not because "I don't know what I can or can't eat" my meal plan is very clear, and simple. I've done a lot of home work on keto before I started last year.

By the way, who said I, or others watching their intake can't enjoy certain high calorie foods foods? I know I enjoy eating high calorie, high fat foods (e.g. fatty cuts of meat, heavy whipping cream, sour cream, cheeses, various oils, etc...) but they fill me up to the point where I don't need to eat everything in sight thus I eat in moderation (something I was never able to achieve in a non keto lifestyle.)

This works for me, whether you believe it or not. It's smug people like you with your little attitude that damages other people who're trying to do good for themselves. Honestly, I don't think you "get it."

People get on here and whine about "fat shaming" but I think "diet, lifestyle, calorie intake shaming" is a lot more rampant, and honestly if fat shaming isn't acceptable here, neither should this form of shaming be.

That said, what works for me isn't going to work for everyone, just as what works for you might not work for everyone; no two people are the exact same; it's not a hard concept to master.