I need help and tips! Gah!

Options
OMG! Today I overate really badly. I'm talking nearly 1000 cals extra. :/
I didn't realise I was eating that amount until I logged it all just now (I've literally only had the chance to).
It's not /always/ this bad, but it's still pretty awful!

So, what do you guys do when the craving strikes? I need good, strong tips!
I can't really distract myself (I'm a student on summer holiday at the moment, and alone most of the time in the house). Any ideas?? Thanks! :)

Replies

• tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    You could try chewing gum? Trident has less cal than eclipse. or try finding a health snack that fits into your goals that will keep you satisfied/or keep you busy. I use sunflower seeds. Also I have read that people who smell peppermint or vanilla when they have a craving are less likely to eat as much. Good luck.
  • klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Keep healthier snacks around. I like celery with a little peanut butter. Raw almonds are good too. Try to exercise and do something so your not bored and thinking about food.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    When I am bad and overeat I make sure to drink lots and lots of water. It usually helps flush a lot of the bad stuff out quicker. Water helps with cravings too, but who are we kidding. It is no substitute for snacks. Lately I have been passing on having coffee in the morning and have it midafternoon intstead. That is usually when cravings strike. I sip it slowly and enjoy. Otherwise I have plenty of 100 calories snack packs available.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    OMG! Today I overate really badly. I'm talking nearly 1000 cals extra. :/
    I didn't realise I was eating that amount until I logged it all just now (I've literally only had the chance to).
    It's not /always/ this bad, but it's still pretty awful!

So, what do you guys do when the craving strikes? I need good, strong tips!
    I can't really distract myself (I'm a student on summer holiday at the moment, and alone most of the time in the house). Any ideas?? Thanks! :)

Real cravings are because of the leptin hormone and starvation mode, honestly you did the right thing by over-eating it will get your metabolism humming again.

On my diet it's actually a planned day once a week the Spike Day where you try to have a surplus to stay out of starvation mode and kill your cravings, so you can go back to burning fat and following your diet the next 6 days.

The important thing is to let the guilt go and just move on, one day will not hurt you as I have now lost 122lbs and still going.
    You can do it!
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    One single day won't have a drastic effect, don't worry about it, just look for the reason.

I just looked into your diary and I think you have been eating way too little during the last two days, so eating more might have been just your body demanding what it needed. Or didn't you log everything?

Plus, you eat a lot of empty calories. Try to eat healthier and the craving for candy etc. will decrease - promise! Working out has a similar effect and additionally has other nice effects, so try to move more :-)

One single day won't have such a drastic efffect, son't worry about it, just look for the reason.
  • KellieMcMurdy
    KellieMcMurdy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you're going thru ... my doc told me to keep my head on straight but not to deprive myself. He said if you're craving something (like chocolate) to have like a snack size bar instead of a regular one. If you're craving ice cream use a little bowl and get a lite one (Gian Eagle Churned is pretty good). I try to drink water and when possible get myself into something so it goes away but if it won't go away I get another big drink then have my snack ... whatever that may be.

I'm not sure that I helped but that's what I do. Good luck!