Alcohol n weight loss? Lets be real here.

Options

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I still drink wine almost every night... but I limit myself to 1 glass and that's it. I'm still losing... so I'm not worried about it. I'm not going to give wine up for life so I'm not going to do it to lose weight either. I'm a big believer of only giving up things you can give up forever.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Like most people said, just track your intake and keep below your allotment. Trying to analyze the lowest calorie concoctions is pretty pointless and impedes the relaxation of drinking in the first place. If you're still trying to get results while engaging in a little sinful behavior, there are other factors you need to focus on. First, did you work out like a maniac, put yourself in a "deficit" and deserve to cut loose? Second, can you get tipsy and not come home attacking the cupboards or make your DD spin through the Taco Bell Drive Thru? Last, can you get your tail out of bed the next day (and not just to the couch) and get moving?

To address the notions of low cal beers or drinks... most of them taste like "ick". I've never seen the point to drink that awful stuff in order to feel less guilt. Pass me the 150-200 cal stouts, porters and IPAs with a shot of Jameson please (and keep them coming). I'll just beat that heavy bag a little harder and run a little further the next couple of days.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Another "more of the same"...

Every now and then, a glass or few of wine has little or no impact on my overall progress. I tend to be aware of it for a day or two and cut a little here and there. Usually I more than make up for it, but I certainly would not recommend that strategy to increase weight loss. It is pretty rare for me.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I usually have a total of 5 glasses of wine, OR (not and) about 5 or 6 rum and diet's over the course of a weekend (fri, sat & sun), and maybe a tequila shot or 2.

I used to have a glass of wine after work a couple days a week, but not for the last 3 weeks.
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    I believe you can enjoy everything in moderation.

Tapping the tip of my nose with my finger at this.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I know that I would lose more weight by not drinking alcohol for the sheer calories I consume. But...my question here is how do those of you that do imbibe go about it and still lose weight? I know about drinking lower calorie alcoholic drinks, and I sure do like my wine from time to time. But how do you personally feel about drinking alcohol in any form and your weight loss goals still happen? I am not trying to be an all or nothing person ( that has led to big losses then big gains) I am just trying to enjoy my life and my spirits (pun intended).
    Just make sure the calories for what you drink fit within your calorie goals is all. I know that I have a Happy Hour on Thursdays, so I add in a couple of Guinness pints at the beginning of the day and then change up what I eat for the day to add more protein to keep me full, but fewer calories overall?
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    In my dream world there are no calories in booze of any kind!!

I stick to liquor that is low in calories and I mix it with mixers that are also low in sugar or no calories. I like vodka and whiskey, so I can mix that with Zevia soda or the "So Be" drinks that are zero caloires too.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I drink vodka and crystal light (rasberry lemonade) mostly on weekends, but i do still try to keep within my daily/weekly intake for calories. Its not something i can give up. I just cant. I wont do it! Not gonna happen!
    what sucks about alcohol is its TERRIBLE for our BF%. Its not helping me at all with this. I dont need to lose pounds anymore, I need to lower my BF% by about 2 to 3 points and this whole intake of alcohol each weekend is slowing my process down!!!

oops..
    oh well.
    Priorities baby.... priorities!
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    If I can fit in a Mickey's 40oz...
    ^This Lady just earned 1,000 cool points!
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Guiness isn't too high calorie, and it tastes amazing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    They are calories like any other. Treat them like such.
    This. Although I do believe that timing does make a difference. Since alcohol will be the first energy source used for fuel (since it directly absorbed in to the intestines) drinking it before crashing out for the night will inhibit fat burning. You burn more fat sleeping than any other time of the day, so this may make a difference.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/lifestyle/health/x522263415/Shea-Effects-of-alcohol-on-fat-burning#axzz2XWb9KWSY

There are studies that were reported on this link.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky because I don't like wine or beer much. I prefer wiskey which is like 70 calories so I can pretty easily fit it within my daily alotment and if it doesn't fit ... meh - it's not the end of the world. :drinker:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    This is useful knowledge:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

As for how I personally drank and lost weight:
    -I always, always pre-logged what I thought I was going to drink and did my best to stick to it.
    -I tried to meet my macros before consuming alcohol.
    -I didn't drink much during the week, focused on eating right, and made my workouts count.
    -I cut back on the beer a lot - I love a good pint of imperial stout, but I can have 2 glasses of wine or 3 vodka sodas for the same number of calories and practically no carbs. However, if I wanted a good beer, I had one. I never drank a light beer. Gross.
    -Berry vodka with soda or vanilla vodka with diet coke/root beer replaced the sugary, calorie-laden cocktails I used to drink.
    -If I knew I would be at a party drinking a lot, I'd get a good workout in beforehand and make sure to stick to high protein, low carb, low fat meals.
    -I didn't stress about it if I had an extra glass of wine or two, and I got back on track the next day.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Drink Guiness, its a meal replacement in a glass
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Drink Guiness, its a meal replacement in a glass
    YES!
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I know I like my alcohol! I guess its just like chocolate for some, but after a good amount of chocolate your inhibitions don't get lowered the way they do with alcohol! Wise choices are out the window after a few drinks!

↑ THIS!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Everything about drinking contradicts the healthy lifestyle I am trying to lead. 1. Lots of empty calories in drinks. 2. Inhibitions are lowered when I'm drinking and I might eat something I normally wouldn't. 3. Hangover the next day prevents a good workout, and also makes me want to eat stuff I wouldn't normally eat.

With that said, I definitely enjoy a drink every now and then, but it's usually 1 or 2 drinks and it's maybe twice a month when out with friends or whatever. Usually I end up drinking club soda and drive everyone's drunk @$$ home, but occasionally I would like to be the drunk @$$.

When I drink, I have whatever I feel like having. Sometimes it's beer (light or not), sometimes it's wine, sometimes it's vodka and club soda with lime or a cucumber martini. Just gotta balance it like everything else.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ::drinker: mmm drunk group bicycle rides they are both fun and a challenge (and yes we've realy done this), also shots with water chaser:drinker:

ps allways wear a helmet when atempting to ride a bicycle drunk:happy:
  • larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue with drinking alcohol and weight loss is if I get buzzed, I tend to snack more, so I have been trying to limit, a beer here or a glass of wine there is ok, but if i drink more than one, I tend to say screw it and start snacking. :/