HRM - has this ever happened to you?

Options
I have a Polar FT4. I typically do group fitness and cardio, but now that I am doing more core and strength my HRM isn't working correctly. It will go from 270 to 00 - and I am still alive so I know that's not correct :huh:

If you have had this problem - is it because the battery is dying or areHRMs just not ideal for core exercises?

Replies

• Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Probably the battery, but make sure your strap is washed regularly, and you could try some application gel to ensure a good contact.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Mine did that yesterday. It was because the "electrodes" on the strap weren't touching me right. I think the bottom of my sports bra had moved a bit. I adjusted it slightly, and it was fine.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the battery, Mine is accurate when I do strength training before cardio. It goes up as I'm lifting and back down in between. You can replace the battery so I would look into that.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and this happens on a regular basis. It said it was waterproof, so I got it wet and it hasn't worked properly since. And yes, regularly happens on workouts when it is suspended i.e. I'm doing a plank or push ups and the monitor is 'below' my body.
    It's only five months old as well, so it can't be the battery. I'm going to give the strap a wash and I might put a new battery in the watch, just for the hell of it.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    That happened to me yesterday as well! I was like "Oh, guess my heart exploded. Funny how I'm still running."

Today it's working fine. Not sure!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Probably NOT the battery. Probably the contact between the strap and your body. I've had some problems with mine, some of which were resolved by cleaning the strap electrodes really well as well as the "snap contacts" of the sensor and strap. Dropouts are common with these things, Polar went through several designs before they got it as good as it is now. Mine will sometimes drop out of I am doing something that makes my whole chest flex, or something. It's worse when I'm just starting to exercise (a little sweat helps make good electrical contact!). Even with gel it can drop out sometimes. Men have it a bit worse if they have a little chest hair in between.

BTW mine started giving worse trouble after a few hundred hours of training. My first thought was also the battery, but I opened it up and measured it and it measures like brand new. Like I said I cleaned the band and snaps really well and it seems to be fixed. That's good, cuz those batteries could stand to be cheaper...
  • Tlbrown1985
    Options
    i have an ft4 myself which hasnt worked for months.. keeps saying.. check heart rate transmitter. ive done everything except the battery... but according the polar.. the battery shoul last ALOTTTTT more hours then ive used it.. im still pissed.. guess ill try a new battery, and if nothing works contact the company... their not cheap.. thats the worst part..
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me as my HRM got older. I've had many, and sometimes it can be related to battery issues, other times its related to a decrease in connectivity on the torso band. If its only a certain kind of workout, I'm guessing its the latter issue, which is easy to fix. Get you band wet, as usual, before putting it on, and in addition slather some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on your body where the sensors touch you. For me, this completely solved the problem. Good luck!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    BTW some Polars have the "heart touch" feature. If your HRM registers 00 but the Heart Touch still works, you've just proven it's not the battery.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably the battery. Is the sensor/chest strap making good contact with your skin?

On a side note, HRMs aren't generally very accurate with cals burned during strength training. They can be handy for other things, but cals burned won't be very reliable.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually because the transmitter has popped off. I have a Polar FT4.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I typically do group fitness and cardio, but now that I am doing more core and strength my HRM isn't working correctly. It will go from 270 to 00 - and I am still alive so I know that's not correct :huh:

If you have had this problem - is it because the battery is dying or areHRMs just not ideal for core exercises?

Get the battery changed in both the watch AND the receiver bit, don't risk just changing one, do them both. A jewellers changed mine and it works perfectly fine, that's the beauty of the FT4 you can change the battery without having to send it back to the manufacturers which you may have to do with some other HRMs.

Secondly, do you rinse your strap after every use and wash it in the washing machine every fifth or sixth time you use it? If not, all salt deposits from your sweat will solidify on the strap receptors and render it virtually useless after a time, salt is terribly corrosive.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 drove me nuts when I had the original strap with the transmitter that snapped on and off. I ordered a replacement strap and got a different design with the transmitter permanently imbedded in the plastic section in the front under the logo. As long as I keep it washed and remember to tighten the strap every once in awhile, it's fine 99% of the time.

BTW, you can use them in water although I've read that you need to be careful not to push buttons while it's submerged because then you might allow water to seep into the case. I use mine regularly when swimming. I suspect that chlorinated water will eventually ruin whatever rubber seals keep water out of the movement, but I have a backyard pool so it's important that my swimming gets monitored.
  • eikito
    eikito Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happened to me several times, I would just stop it and then re-start and it would be OK. Until it finally stopped, as it was just a few months old I contacted Polar, filled a form and sent it to them. Got it back a couple of days later, the strap's sensor were the problem so they gave me a new one. Contact them if yours is still under warranty!!
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This has been incredibly helpful. I am going to try a few of your suggestions. I got this HRM in January, so I am hopeful it is not the battery, but I will check it out if some of these "tricks" don't work. Thanks, all.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when the strap isn't touching my chest properly, usually when I am bent over.

A secondary question about the FT4.

When I am running and my heart rate goes into the 170's, it says 'not in zone', why is it no longer in the zone when my heart rate is high and what zone has it gone into exactly now?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably the battery. Is the sensor/chest strap making good contact with your skin?

On a side note, HRMs aren't generally very accurate with cals burned during strength training. They can be handy for other things, but cals burned won't be very reliable.

Just to reiterate this point.....'cuz science
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Mine did that yesterday. It was because the "electrodes" on the strap weren't touching me right. I think the bottom of my sports bra had moved a bit. I adjusted it slightly, and it was fine.

^^THIS happens to me quite frequently! Just move it around a bit.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Just to reiterate this point.....'cuz science

Ooh, thank you for contributing such valuable information to this thread.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've had an FT4 for a while now and honestly, it could be any of the three things mentioned above - battery, contact, loose transmitter.

If my chest strap is too tight (tends to flip and lose contact), too loose, isn't wet enough or hasn't been cleaned in a while, the contact comes and goes so you get that on and off 00 reading.

If the battery in the watch or transmitter is low, your signal will be funny. I've even experienced some of the cardio machines in our gym causing issues with the signal (heart rate will go way up to 200 then drop way down to 50).

The batteries in the watch are very easy to replace but the transmitter case can be hard to open. I'd recommend taking it to a jeweler if you decide to get it replaced.