Anyone cook and eat actual meals most/all days?

Options

Replies

• toludc
    toludc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I cook all my meals from scratch. My diary would be confusing to look at because its mostly lists of ingredients.

But I have a food blog where I show the type of meals that I cook in case you are interested

www.sweetenoughthanks.wordpress.com
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I cook dinner just about every night. Lunch is usually leftovers, so no additional cooking, and I don't really eat breakfast. Snacks are usually not cooked.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One more reply came in while I was posting---thanks.

What do we like to eat? We like spicy foods (as in hot!) and highly seasoned things. Mostly I like variety. I would love more recipes with ground turkey. I mostly use it in things like chili or tacos, but I would love to know how to cook it by itself so that it would be moist and flavorful. Love mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini. We don't eat a lot of beef, but I do try to cook it from time to time for DH. My preference is chicken. I like salmon and tilapia and would love to have halibut, too, but I just can't bring myself to pay the high cost. We have pork from time to time. We have everything from fish fillets, brown rice, and veggies to beef stroganoff, chicken pot pie, enchiladas, or beef burgundy. Of course, wtih some of the heavier entrees, I just have to eat smaller portoins. However, I can actually eat a regular serving of the beef stroganoff and beef burgundy because they have some low-fat substitutes included in the recipe. (I got the recipes for both of those from Diabetic Living.)

Edited to add: I love, love soup! DH doesn't think of soup as a "real" meal, so I have to have a lot of add-ons for him, but if it is well seasoned, soup is my comfort food.

If you like spicy, I make a mean stuffed pepper. I use ground beef, but you can use ground or shredded chicken. You just take 4 chilis (I use Serano or Pueblo, sometimes bell peppers if I can't find good looking chilis), cut in half and clean, boil about 5 min.

Brown 1lb of hamburger, add one packet of taco seasoning, 1 can of black beans (drained & rinsed), 1 cups cooked brown rice. Fill each 1/2 of the chilis with hamburger rice mixture. Top with cheese, bake at 350° until heated through and cheese is bubbly.

Is that a typo? How do you stuff a tiny serano pepper?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,041 Member
    Options
    I pretty much cook the same meals I've always cooked for my family. My family would have a meltdown if I changed a favorite. I was surprised to learn that when I put my standby recipes in the MFP tool, they weren't all that high in calories for n adequate serving. The up side is that a casserole lasts longer because I'm eating less. My diary is open if you'd like to check it out. It's pretty boring because I make a big recipe & we eat it for 3 days (if I'm lucky) .
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I usually have a home cooked meal for dinner (6x a week?). Many of my meals are either done in the crockpot, or are leftovers from a huge cooking spree on Sundays though there are easy meals like sandwiches or brats as well. I always make extra protein, and then put it in baggies in the freezer so that they can be pulled out and paired with some sort of fruit/veggie/small amount of starch. Breakfast and lunch vary in quality and quantity, usually depending on what I plan on eating for dinner and whether or not I plan on drinking alcohol.

Today is crockpot chicken soup. Yesterday was broiled steak with broccoli, corn on the cob, and a plum.
  • nighthawke
    nighthawke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I make 3 meals a day for my wife and three kids. You're welcome to look at my diary, but I assure you it's nothing exciting :)
  • Sarabelle43
    Options
    Depends. If I'm by myself, I will have "meals" but.. oatmeal = breakfast, salad = lunch, fruit = snack, pasta and some poached chicken = dinner. If I'm at my boyfriend's place, I cook for us and his roommate. Last night we had spinach and chicken lasagna... tonight will be enchiladas...

So, by myself.. eh... mini-meals. With others, real meals.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A couple of my favorites:

-shrimp or chicken sauteed in olive oil with zuchinii noodles and a little bit of parmasean
    -ground turkey sauteed with vegetables and a can of tomatoes and black beans (tastes similar to a stuffed green pepper)
    -brown rice pasta (shockingly tastes just like regular pasta) with spaghetti sauce & veggie/turkey meatballs
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    i cook some sundays, and Mon-Thur. I cook cook lol, meat and 2 side cook :) like you said, i eat what i want, just in smaller portions, feel free to add me ;)
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    I just started nutrient extracting my breakfasts with a nutribullet....I am not big on breakfast so that works for me...I just add 2 cups of leafy greens, 2 cups of fruit of any kind, and 2 tbs of either raw nuts or raw seed....add water and blend!!!!

For lunch, I don't cook. I was just eating like a can of tuna with some carrots, but now I opted for low sodium soup with veggies.

For dinner, I do cook. I might bake, pan sear (depending on how many calories I have left) or grill a piece of lean meat on my Foreman grill, and add some carbs. Yes they are white carbs (Pasta/Rice sides) for right now because I am not going to waste food...but my goal is to slowly incorporate more whole grains in my cupboards. I also make frozen veggies with my dinner.

It's been a month strong, and I still feel like I am a work in progres...alot of these meals people are talking about sound really good...and eventually I will check out those sites. I also have a recipe book that accompanied my nutri-bullet and eventually I will try those recipes too like the hummus and veggie soups....but like I said, baby steps. And I am going to add some of you people so I can look at your diaries because the few friends I do have diaries are boring!!!! And they eat the same thing....I can't do that. I like to eat and I like variety.
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself and my family most days, add me if you like!
  • krissy5686
    krissy5686 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of grilling. Usually chicken and veggies. Or I steam or "stir fry" things. It helps to use lots of different spices in the recipes if you are cutting out things like olive oil that usually give flavor. If I feel like my food is bland, I will be more likely to stray off my plan. If I really need some type of oil for a recipe, I substitute coconut oil (even in baking). I challenged myself one month to see how many ways I could cook chicken using different spices and flavors. I wrote them all down, and at the end of the month I had a good resource whenever I felt I was in a rut.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty much 6 days out of 7 ... Diary is open :) (tonight is the day off!)
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    I cook dinner for my boyfriend and our son, they eat the same day. I make enough so we both have lunch the next day with it, i just end up eatin it again for dinner the next day, i make two containers, 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner!!
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi. My family switched to a (mostly) whole food diet last year (for health reasons, not weight loss.) We're strictly organic and try to avoid processed stuff, so we eat zero fast food. We don't eat perfectly "clean" (I bake a lot, though it's from scratch) but I cook everything. We have ONE restaurant in our area that meets our standards, and since it's expensive and 40 minutes away I cook A LOT. My diary is open to the public so feel free to browse around. I am not a recipe Nazi either so if you see something you like and want the recipe, just ask. :)
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    YEP! Gluten free and vegetarian limits my options of "fast foods"

I do enjoy cooking but sometimes it gets old. Breakfast is usually a smoothie, lunch is almost always a salad of some kind and dinner I'll actually toil away on the stove.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I do for the most part. My menu is kind of boring though. I just rotate a few standard meals. Pork Chops, Steak, Pork loin, Spaghetti and mix in some meatball subs, soup and sandwiches, and hotdogs every now and then.

I try to save the fast food for the weekends and holidays.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    On weekends, I try to cook a couple of multiple serving dishes and grill lots of chicken breasts. These meals are portioned by serving size into dishes and put in the freezer. So on days I don't have time to cook, I have something in the freezer, already knowing the # of calories. Helps to pre-plan my day also.
  • jacey12300
    jacey12300 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat proper meals! The perks of still living with parents who will cook for me :)
  • daylilies
    daylilies Posts: 92
    Options
    I cook. Since I'm alone for lunch I like to buy a variety of things I can just throw on a plate and eat, like raw fruit and veg, hummus, low fat cheese, olives, tuna, or fresh fish I can cook off and eat cold like seared tuna or salmon.

I don't eat bread or pasta anymore because it bothers my stomach but my husband and son can still have the carbs, so I'll make pasta dishes with a protein, or a chicken casserole with rice (I still eat rice sometimes), stir fry, crock pot meals, soup, stew, steak, things like that and just not eat the bread or pasta.

I don't track my food, but you can message me-I love to cook so I can give you some easy ideas if you want. (that goes for any of you who like to cook and need ideas!)