Anyone cook and eat actual meals most/all days?

Options

Replies

• erica_denton
    erica_denton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat fast food and I meal prep and eat about 6 times a day. I also eat a lot of the same things, but you are more than welcome to take a look!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat out. I cook most of my meals. I have them set up as recipies so I only have to add a few things to my diary for each meal, but I'm more than happy to share with anyone who asks.

I eat mostly chicken and beef, though.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I prepare most of my meals. I eat dinner out twice a week and sometimes lunch once. I believe my diary is open.

However, preparation and cooking can vary a lot. My meals are all very simple, usually pretty plain and I don't eat a lot of variety. "From scratch" for me is sausage and eggs for breakfast. A salad that is chopped lettuce, cut up turkey, cheese and dressing for lunch, and some form of grilled meat and nuked veggies for dinner, and a few simple snacks in between. I like to keep it simple and easy and I am not very creative.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I cook enough meats for a few days, then I just weigh it, put it in my container and add some grape tomatoes, cucumbers or canned veggies to take to work. Some days I fry or boil and egg to eat too. But no, I don't cook every day.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and yes I cook meals :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    For me, it's quite simple. A good chunk of protien (chicken, fish, pork, steak, eggs, or greek yogurt depending on the meal) surrounded by healthy fats, fruits and veggies. Fruits and veggies make up more than half my plate for every meal. I find it very satisfying and filling - especially big salads or steamed veggies.

I try to limit carbs, so no bread (other than a couple of tortillas a week), limited rice and potatoes, no sugar except by exception when I'm out and dessert is served, or the occasional chocolate splurge. I try to get the bulk of my calories from protiens.

But most of all, I avoid processed foods where possible. Yes, there are some convenience items that I do use, but it is minimal. Making your own salsas, salad dressings, bbq sauces, etc can save you a lot of calories and sodium.

This sums it up pretty good for me as well - I/we make the majority of our meals, though we do go out once or twice a week as well to meet up with friends or other special occasions. But I like to cook, plus I can then control the ingredients that way - we both eat mostly gluten-free (as much as possible) as we are both intolerant, but don't eat rice or potatoes on a regular basis - so the majority of what we eat is protein, good fats, veggies, and a few fruits.

I don't necessarily plan out an entire week of meals at once, we just keep meat, fruits, and veggies stocked at home and plan from there. (This also helps in budgeting - buying what's on sale/in-season) But I'm also fairly good at throwing meal ideas together quickly, provided there is protein thaw. Feel free to browse my diary, add rice or potatoes or whatever side you'd like, but it's pretty simple. Grilled/baked protein, side of veggies/salad for lunches and dinners (I cook up extra at dinner for lunches), breakfast is usually eggs, yogurt, and fruit. Need to eat more fish, just bought some last week (frozen) so we can.

I looove soups too, but not eating them as much now that it's hot out (I prefer salads!).
  • kimberly728
    kimberly728 Posts: 124
    Options
    i cook all the time. and i just started meal prepping two days a week (sunday and wednesday) - i make breakfast and lunch meals for myself and my husband for 3 days at a time. I cook dinner every night too. my diary is open- although i did just start logging again this week. my system really works for us and we eat pretty clean now.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

So here's my question: Who of you regularly prepare and eat meals regularly?
    I do.
    What things do you make for you and your family?

Look in my diary. Generally find cooking relaxing and therapeutic.
    Better yet, are any of your food diaries open?
    Yes
  • kdcshesback
    kdcshesback Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I cook most of the week. I like the fact that I can control what goes in it. Off the top of my head some favorites of the family:

Baked Ziti
    Spaghetti
    Chicken Parmesan
    Meatballs
    Chicken and tuna casseroles
    Stroganoff
    Pork Chop potatoes
    Stir-Fry (all kinds)
    Bacon wrapped shrimps
    Fish (all kinds, especially Salmon and Swai) baked, grilled
    Beef Stew

P.S. If you want a great marinara recipe, inbox me :)

Also lots of veggies (frozen,fresh) and sides like beans, sauerkraut, brown rice, white rice. Diary is open!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    One more reply came in while I was posting---thanks.

What do we like to eat? We like spicy foods (as in hot!) and highly seasoned things. Mostly I like variety. I would love more recipes with ground turkey. I mostly use it in things like chili or tacos, but I would love to know how to cook it by itself so that it would be moist and flavorful. Love mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini. We don't eat a lot of beef, but I do try to cook it from time to time for DH. My preference is chicken. I like salmon and tilapia and would love to have halibut, too, but I just can't bring myself to pay the high cost. We have pork from time to time. We have everything from fish fillets, brown rice, and veggies to beef stroganoff, chicken pot pie, enchiladas, or beef burgundy. Of course, wtih some of the heavier entrees, I just have to eat smaller portoins. However, I can actually eat a regular serving of the beef stroganoff and beef burgundy because they have some low-fat substitutes included in the recipe. (I got the recipes for both of those from Diabetic Living.)

Edited to add: I love, love soup! DH doesn't think of soup as a "real" meal, so I have to have a lot of add-ons for him, but if it is well seasoned, soup is my comfort food.

If you like spicy, I make a mean stuffed pepper. I use ground beef, but you can use ground or shredded chicken. You just take 4 chilis (I use Serano or Pueblo, sometimes bell peppers if I can't find good looking chilis), cut in half and clean, boil about 5 min.

Brown 1lb of hamburger, add one packet of taco seasoning, 1 can of black beans (drained & rinsed), 1 cups cooked brown rice. Fill each 1/2 of the chilis with hamburger rice mixture. Top with cheese, bake at 350° until heated through and cheese is bubbly.

Is that a typo? How do you stuff a tiny serano pepper?

Sorry I meant Poblano... - oh and I forgot you need to add a little water with the taco seasoning. Whatever is called for on the package.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I cook dinner most nights.

It's not always going to show up nicely in my food diary though. Last night, for example, We had leftover pot roast and mashed potatoes with a side salad. I logged the pot roast using the closest existing equivalent I found on searching (chuck roast, braised, with onions), I entered the potatoes as a recipe so they show up as "mashed potatoes," I entered the salad dressing as a recipe, and then all the salad components were estimated based on what went into the bowl.

Some days I pick from the search iist and grab something I know is in the ballpark nutritionally for what I cooked. Some days I enter it as a recipe (And I think MFP REALLY needs to fix the recipe creator so that you can "touch up" the recipe each time you cook it, to reflect the fact that a lot of cooks don't make dishes the same every time), and sometimes I enter my share of the components that went into the recipe separately.

We have a CSA, so I do a lot of "seat of the pants" cooking from June through October -- I bring home a big bag of veggies and I make them work in the recipes I have, rather than planning a meal and buying the exact components.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi I dont use any convenience food I cook all our meals,I find a great place for ideas is allrecipes.co.uk!
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy food you MUST make Mexican Gumbo. It's easy to toss together and to alter the recipe if you want.
    I just used canned stuff, because this is one of our quick and easy meals, but if you want to dice your own veggies/cook your own beans, go for it. You can prep the chicken how ever you want and then chop or shred it.

2 chicken breasts with spicy seasonings
    1 can of diced tomatos
    1 can of diced chilis
    1 can black beans
    Chopped onion
    Low sodium chicken broth (I just kind of eyeball it)

Pour over your favorite rice and top with a smidge of cheese, sour cream (I use non fat plain greek yogurt) and crushed torilla chips and you're good to go!

The gumbo part has around 200 calories per serving, so the calories really come from the rice and toppings.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. It's a little repetitive with weekday breakfasts and lunches and some of the dinner choices definitely wouldn't fit with some people's goals but there's actual cooking every day. Take from it what fits with what you need.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I cook a from-scratch supper almost every night. Depending on what it is, sometimes it will show up in my diary as a list of ingredients, sometimes as a named item I put in a recipe for just to make the calculations easier. Some nights it's a better balanced meal than others. Last night, for instance, supper was sorely lacking in veggies and was a chicken/pasta splurge. I do try to incorporate a lot of vegetables most of the time. I also do pretty simple cooking in terms of effort and precision but variety in terms of flavor and combinations. So, I think my diary is open to one and all (let me know if it isn't) and I respond yes to all friend requests but don't watch everybody's daily feed.

Whatever we have for supper tonight will be veggie-heavy to make up for last night's sins. :embarassed:

Oh, and if you ever want to know what went into one of the named recipes, give me a holler and I'll cut and paste into a message to you.

Sounds a lot like me. I eat everything... I make fresh pasta, lasagna, marinara and meat sauces, pizza, tacos, hamburgers, pulled pork, chili, burritos, fajitas, casseroles and anything else you can think of. I have a 5 yr old step son so food is usually kid friendly when we have him for the night. I'll confess I'm not great with veggies though I will try to make a salad at least for myself. I don't cut out anything - we use full fat sour cream, white sugar, flour and other 'normal' ingredients.

My diary is wide open so if you see anything interesting I'm happy to share the recipes.
  • ncbeachprincess
    Options
    One more reply came in while I was posting---thanks.

What do we like to eat? We like spicy foods (as in hot!) and highly seasoned things. Mostly I like variety. I would love more recipes with ground turkey. I mostly use it in things like chili or tacos, but I would love to know how to cook it by itself so that it would be moist and flavorful. Love mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini. We don't eat a lot of beef, but I do try to cook it from time to time for DH. My preference is chicken. I like salmon and tilapia and would love to have halibut, too, but I just can't bring myself to pay the high cost. We have pork from time to time. We have everything from fish fillets, brown rice, and veggies to beef stroganoff, chicken pot pie, enchiladas, or beef burgundy. Of course, wtih some of the heavier entrees, I just have to eat smaller portoins. However, I can actually eat a regular serving of the beef stroganoff and beef burgundy because they have some low-fat substitutes included in the recipe. (I got the recipes for both of those from Diabetic Living.)

Edited to add: I love, love soup! DH doesn't think of soup as a "real" meal, so I have to have a lot of add-ons for him, but if it is well seasoned, soup is my comfort food.

You remind me so much of myself! My husband had gastric bypass and one of the things that the dietician told us about seasonings is, regardless of how much intake you have, it is better to replace a whole serving of bad food with seasonings on your regular serving. I hope that this makes sense! I buy McCormick Marinades in the pouch, they run about $1. Typically these require the pack of seasoning, oil, vinegar and water, give or take those ingredients. After using these you will be able to create your own marinades and seasonings, by omitting or adding things that your family enjoys more. I ALWAYS use olive oil, for everything. We eat mostly poultry, pork and fish, no red meat, because after doing away with for so long, it upsets our stomachs now. We grill everything that is able to be grilled, after marinating for hours, and this really helps with keeping the flavor.

When I am cooking something that requires ground beef, I always sub ground turkey. I use ground turkey for burgers too, which can be trial and error to suit your families tastes. I add salt and pepper into the ground turkey, sometimes diced onions, patty them up and grill them. I add 2% cheese to the burger for a cheeseburger taste. I dress our burgers with veggies, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, etc. As a good side dish, I cut potatoes and bake fries, coating them with a tiny bit of live oil and garlic salt.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I usually do but sometimes get on a streak where I eat lunch out for a while or have to work out of town. Diary is open. I do high fat diet.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I cook and eat real meals pretty much every day, both lunch and dinner. I make my lunches and my husband's on weekends, usually soups or vege based curried for me, lasagne, pies or enchiladas for him. Night times I come home and cook. My diary isn't open to anyone but friends, but feel free to add me. I do use the recipe builder a lot though, so my diary tends to have one entry which encompasses an entire meal including sides.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I cook actual meals for my family. I'm a stay at home mom :-) I've made healthier dinner options when it comes to enchiladas, meatloaf, spaghetti and many others.