What kind of bread do you eat?

Options

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Anything that is NOT white.

I also look at all the additives on the back of the package... if I can't pronouce it and there are more then 5 ingredients, I put it back. I generally try to go to a bakery and get fresh whole wheat or multigrain bread.
  • KelsThompski
    Options
    No bread... its too processed and is hard to digest for many people. Bread also inhibits weight loss because of the gluten in it. Getting carbs from sources that are not processed is better. Plus will help with weight loss. Eating brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes will be much better. If you have to have bread go for "Ezickial" bread it has to be kept in the fridge and is found in the organic section. It is more expensive but due to price i think it helps you eat less bread. Also if you make home made bread use either brown rice flour or oat flour... keeps it gluten free and much healthier! :)
  • BobbiG35
    BobbiG35 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee 45 Calories per slice. It is decent and I feel like I get a whole sandwich w/o the calories. :)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I just eat normal bread. I love it. But instead of eating tons of it like I used to (I could eat half a loaf left to it!), I eat it occasionally. I'll cut thinner slices, and have one slice instead of two. If I have it, I have it once a day. I'm afraid I like crusty white bread from our local bakery. I don't like other bread (wholemeal, soda bread, rye bread etc) so there's no point eating it - I'm trying to lose weight not punish myself LOL! I try to eat more alternatives like ryevita crackers which I enjoy. And I try to think of other things than sandwiches for lunch, like salads and soups.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Bread also inhibits weight loss

Nope.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    No bread... its too processed and is hard to digest for many people. Bread also inhibits weight loss because of the gluten in it. Getting carbs from sources that are not processed is better. Plus will help with weight loss.
    Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Homemade, got a bread maker. :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    No bread... its too processed and is hard to digest for many people. Bread also inhibits weight loss because of the gluten in it. Getting carbs from sources that are not processed is better. Plus will help with weight loss.

Switching to white bread has helped my weight loss. Because it has (generally) less calories than whole grain breads.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    No bread... its too processed and is hard to digest for many people. Bread also inhibits weight loss because of the gluten in it. Getting carbs from sources that are not processed is better. Plus will help with weight loss. Eating brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes will be much better. If you have to have bread go for "Ezickial" bread it has to be kept in the fridge and is found in the organic section. It is more expensive but due to price i think it helps you eat less bread. Also if you make home made bread use either brown rice flour or oat flour... keeps it gluten free and much healthier! :)

Wow, no wonder I'm not losing weight since I eat sandwiches nearly every day of the week. Thanks for the insight.

*note sarcasm for those Sheldon's out there*
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    My fave is the Flatout Foldits. I love the Everything and the Rosemary and Olive Oil flavors. The white and the pretzel are pretty good as well. Great flavor and 100 calories.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Brownberry sandwich thins. They are 100 calories each. I get the multi grain for sandwiches and the whole grain for toast.

Sorry to be "that guy", but most slices of bread are only 100 calories. Some might be 120, but usually 100 is about right. The whole wheat sandwich thins are similar to the 100% whole wheat bread in terms of nutrition and ingredients. I only felt compelled to comment because i work in the "bread" business, and there's really no getting around what bread is. Customers ask me if i carry a no-carb bread or low-carb bread, and we do not. We did at one time, along with all the other oddball "healthy" varieties, but most were discontinued due to lack of sales.
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to do gluten free bread but the kind I got was not to my liking. I've kind of decided to eat foods that I enjoy, are clean, and watch the quantity. For me, if I feel like I'm eating food I'm not enjoying, I cheat more often.

For now we're eating Milton's bread but I also enjoy Rudi's. I look for 100% Whole Wheat as the #1 ingredient.

I tried completely eliminating bread and gluten but I had a hard time staying consistent. I'm currently having success with limiting my bread to lunch. (like for a sandwich).

I don't know. This has worked for me but ultimately it's your body and you know it best. For me, what I shared has worked but you'll find the foods that work for you. Another thing I'll add: I try to think about how I feel after a meal. If I have a slight headache or if my stomach hurts, I try to take note of what I ate and try to avoid it. I've been working on this for like 3 years and I'm just now starting to get more connected to my body. When I started I didn't even know what signs to look for.

:)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Try Silver Hills Squirrely Bread, it's vegan (no dairy or eggs) and it's wholesome, they have all kinds of different brands but I find this the best of everything out there.) It's 110 calories per slice but I enjoy mine toasted with tomatoes and cucumbers and Veganaise to keep the lunch calories low. Yum!! http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/

I love Silver Hills.
    I buy the Little Big Bread which is cut a bit thinner so 2 slices for 110 cals/7gr protein/19gr carbs
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat a 35 calorie per slice from Aunt Millie's that is also low carb. If not that, always a 12 grain and only one slice.
    Aunt millies 35 calorie potato is so good
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I make my own whole wheat bread. I put it in my recipe box so that it would figure out my numbers for me. It is so yummy and I love that I can still have my "comfort food"
  • catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, SilverHills is not available in Ohio.

My preference is Ezekiel sprouted breads (my husband likes it for toast but not sandwiches); I recently found a couple Pepperidge Farm whole grain varieties: Ancient Grains & German Dark Wheat (yum!)
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat ezekial sprouted grain bread, or alvarado st. sprouted grain bread. Its just a personal preference. I love it because its crunchy, and when its toasted it gets wicked good! (I actually hate bread, but I LOVE Toast :3)
    I like my bread to be like artisan bread, crunnchyy.
    I've got no use for soft bread.
    (I actually don't like pasta for htis same reason)
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif
    dude I luv you so much right now. Bread doesn't cause weight gain or inhibit weight loss. Unless you over excessively eat it to a point where your cals are through the roof and you got no exercise under your muffin topped belt. :D haha
  • AprilMae1975
    AprilMae1975 Posts: 726
    Options
    Alpine Valley Organic 9 Grain is my favorite.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Brownberry sandwich thins. They are 100 calories each. I get the multi grain for sandwiches and the whole grain for toast.

Sorry to be "that guy", but most slices of bread are only 100 calories. Some might be 120, but usually 100 is about right. The whole wheat sandwich thins are similar to the 100% whole wheat bread in terms of nutrition and ingredients. I only felt compelled to comment because i work in the "bread" business, and there's really no getting around what bread is. Customers ask me if i carry a no-carb bread or low-carb bread, and we do not. We did at one time, along with all the other oddball "healthy" varieties, but most were discontinued due to lack of sales.

I think what he might have meant is since they are split open for a sandwich there only 100 calories to complete a sandwich. (Instead of two 100 calories pieces of bread.) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: