Phentermine 37.5 any results?

Options
I am 23 years old. I recently had a miscarriage 5 months ago. Ever since I lost the baby, I cannot seem to lose my weight. I was 4 months pregnant so I had gained quite a bit of weight. I am weighing in at 164 right now the HIGHEST my weight has EVER been. I went to the doctor today and I got a LIPO shot and a 30 day supply of Phentermine 37.5. I researched it a lot before I went and got on this and read about people seeing results daily. I did want to also ask you guys have any of you seen any results? I have a cruise to go on in 77 days and I am trying to lose at least 25 pounds before the cruise. My goal weight is 125 which will have me losing 39 pounds if all goes well. I know that it does not happen over night, I know that I will have to exercise and also watch what I eat, but I am determined!!! I am so glad that I have joined myfitnesspal and hope that you guys will be able to encourage me along this journey as well as I hope to be able to encourage others.

-Nicole-

Replies

• dngoins
    dngoins Posts: 20
    Options
    I couldn't take it myself, it made my heart feel like it was going to beat out of my chest. I have a friend that has been taking it for about 3 months, but has been working on losing weight since October and has only lost 50 lbs. The phentermine really curves your appetite, but not a real biggie on helping shed the pounds. She practically starved herself and that's not good. I'm not saying you won't lose all the weight you want in 77 days, but in reality I don't even think it would be possible if you do it the right way. My mom also took it and only took it 3 months and then had to take a month off and then back taking it 3 months again and so on and it took her a year to lose 100 lbs, so from what I have seen from these 2 that I know have taken it, it's not a big help. Just my opinion. Good Luck!!
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I took it for about a month back in the summer of 2011, and had to stop due to chest pains - NOT a good thing, and I'd absolutely warn anyone against it. Yes, it helped curb my appetite, but IMO, it's putting your health at risk.
  • dngoins
    dngoins Posts: 20
    Options
    I think Doctors have gotten out of control prescribing the medication to people to begin with. The medication was intended for people that had high blood pressure, diabetes, seriously over weight or other health issues and needed to lose weight fast. Now if you need to lose 10 lbs go in and they will give it to you.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I was given phentermine years back and it raised my pressure pretty high, the chest palpations scared me and I had much trouble sleeping. The only benefit for ME was the energy (it's loaded with speed).

Do some research and pay attention to your body if you decide to take it.
  • greenmm1980
    greenmm1980 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Be careful taking it. It has been known to cause major mood swings and puts you at risk for LVH and other cardiac issues. Get a base line EKG if you do start taking it to make sure you dont develop or enhance any underlying cardiac problems. You can talk to your dr about Topamax which is intended for headache relief but has weightloss side effects and is not a stimulant. Good 'ol diet and exercise are the best ways to lose weight though. No magic pill.
  • ooblick
    ooblick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Important safety tip: If you are on serotonin reuptake inhibitors like zoloft, prozac, paxil, etc., use of phentermine can destroy heart valves. The combination is deadly
  • abettermeLSD1981
    Options
    Hi there. I have used the Phentermine 37.5mg (brand name Adipex) for quite sometime now. Actually on and off since I had my 1st child in 2002. It really works, no doubt about it. It decreases the appetite and have you so full of energy. Sometimes I used to get out of bed to go jog because I couldn't sleep I was so full of energy. BUT...... I have to add this, and this is coming from experience and the experience of friends who have also used this, and also from my experience as a nurse, it "mimics" the drug Speed. That's why your a ball of energy so to speak. Your heart pounds out of your chest. It also raises the blood pressure. Because of it, I was put on blood pressure pills. Before becoming a nurse, and knowing the side effects of the drug, I was just focused on the fact that I lost 20 pounds in the 1st month, 10 the second month and 5 pounds the 3rd month (totaling 35 pounds in 3 months). Some of my friends lost 40 pounds in 2 months. I was just so excited about my weight loss that I wasn't looking at the negative side effects. (Also bad mood swings). I used to think I was the only one experiencing the bad mood swings, until talking with others, and was told that the drug was doing the same to them. One minute I was happy the next very angry. Besides the issues this drug can have on the health, once you get off this drug for good, YOU WILL GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK PLUS MORE. That's what drew me to continue taking on and off. My very last experience with it, after the birth of my 3rd child who is now 6 years old, not only was the weight coming off slowly ( I think my body got used of it) but I started experiencing slight chest pains. I got off completely and NEVER took again.
  • abettermeLSD1981
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My results were negative. Gave me high bp and made me feel really weird. I would tell anyone not to take it.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I couldn't take it myself, it made my heart feel like it was going to beat out of my chest. I have a friend that has been taking it for about 3 months, but has been working on losing weight since October and has only lost 50 lbs. The phentermine really curves your appetite, but not a real biggie on helping shed the pounds. She practically starved herself and that's not good. I'm not saying you won't lose all the weight you want in 77 days, but in reality I don't even think it would be possible if you do it the right way. My mom also took it and only took it 3 months and then had to take a month off and then back taking it 3 months again and so on and it took her a year to lose 100 lbs, so from what I have seen from these 2 that I know have taken it, it's not a big help. Just my opinion. Good Luck!!

ONLY 50 pounds in 8 months and ONLY 100 pounds in a year? That's 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. That is GREAT weight loss progress and actually a pretty fast rate. I have been working on getting my weight off for over a year and have lost 45 lounds.
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I took it over 4 years ago for 3 months. I lost 40 pounds, but guess what happened after I stopped taking it! Yup gained all that back and then some because I hadn't changed my mindset. I did try it again about a year ago after searching for a doctor who would prescribe it, because again I was looking for a quick fix, I took it about a month with no results. I have since finally realized that quick fixes don't last unless you change those bad habits that got you there in the first place. I also don't think people realize the health risks you are putting on your body by taking this medication. I do not recommend anyone taking this medication.
  • Jennjo322
    Jennjo322 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had experience with pen phen back in the early 90's looking for a quick fix. I lost some weight and suffered chest pains. Gained all the weight back as well.

This is not a safe effective way to lose weight, the only way is to exercise and less healthy and eat at a deficit. Your body needs food for fuel and it needs to move.

Trust me I have tried it all, the quick fixes never work.
  • thoma74
    thoma74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This is my second time on it, first being back in 2007. At that time I lost 40lbs in 3 months. I've been on it now for 8 weeks and have only lost 14lbs. I have never had the high blood pressure, the racing heart or chest pains. I do have the decreased appetite more so this time than last, and I have to remember to eat during the day. In the evening I am fine. Normal appetite. I think it effects everyone different. Yes I do know the side effects from also being in the medical field and having been on it previously. If you have the "side effects" before you start taking it, I would not recommend taking starting it. It's not for everyone.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I would tell you to RUN away from it.. but that would be using my bad experience with it to influence your decision and thats not fair... however I will tell you that you need to listen to your body, pay attention if you dont feel 'right' dont shrug it off.. also if you are on any other meds like for depression anxiety etc make sure you check with doctor or pharmacy.. my regular physican gave me phentermine and I was taking zoloft (which she was aware of) and had night sweats, trouble sleeping, lack of energy, depression got worse, heart palputations, felt speedy all the time, no appetite at all, constipation (TMI), extreme thirst, swollen ankles.. you name it girl... I lost 12 pounds in 2 months i was on it.. not worth it.. calorie deficit, and exercise works... if you are having trouble maybe lower carb intake or processed foods... best wishes and keep us posted ...
  • FrOgLoVeR40
    Options
    lost 40 pound fast on phentermine....gained it back even faster!
  • ncbeachprincess
    Options
    Run as far as you can!!!!!! I took Adipex for a few months, only to end up with heart palpitations and shortness of breath, days without eating, gagging trying to even drink water. Horrible drug...equal to street meth in my opinion! My husband was prescribed Adipex for 4 years, without a break, ended up in rehab, and finally realized he had to stop when he almost had a heart attack at age 24. After getting clean off of Adipex, he was over 100 lbs more than his beginning weight. He eventually had gastric bypass (539 lbs the day of surgery), and got on a strict diet and exercise plan and has been doing good ever since. Thanks to Adipex, he has to have stress tests every 6 months.

There are so many options for losing weight, and this is one that has always been in the news for all the bad it has caused. I don't think I have ever met anyone to successfully lose weight, stay healthy while taking it, and maintain any weight loss.
  • lostgrl85
    lostgrl85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I took it along with another drug for two months back in 2011, and I didn't get the scary side effects a lot of others have reported, but it also didn't decrease my appetite at all. I did notice I had more energy, but that also meant I couldn't sleep at night either. The second month, I started getting headaches every day. They immediately went away when I decided to quit taking weight loss drugs. Now I'm against going to any doctor who pushes these pills on their patients. There are much safer ways to lose weight.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've been on it before. I LOVED the energy it gave me. I wish I could be that energetic and focused at work ALL the time. That "side effect" was great.

It decreased my appetite to the point that I just never thought about food. I couldn't be bothered to take the time to eat. It was a sort of freedom I do miss. I'm the kind of person that is ALWAYS hungry. I binge and I don't even know what I consumed until it's too late. Being able to just not care about food was amazing. It was the first time in my life that I didn't feel like a prisoner to my own hunger.

HOWEVER: I did have heart palpitations at first. That went away after awhile. Also....it's a short term fix. It stops being effective and then your hunger returns.

That's why it doesn't "work". Yes, you will lose weight, but if you don't start learning to control yourself naturally, your hunger will come back full force and worse than ever. You become fully aware of just how dependant you are on food.

And I suppose that's the way it should be. We need food to live. It has to be apart of our lives somehow. Phentermine just stops that constant "need".... for a time. But if you think you can learn to live a new lifestyle while taking it, allow me to burst that bubble. I did a whole lot of binge eating after coming off of it. I had forgotten what hunger felt like. And truth is, without learning to manage hunger, you've lost some weight but you didn't win the war.
  • Dollymaker
    Dollymaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Took it for a month, lost 15 lbs -- had energy to burn, could not sleep, hyper all the time -- not good at all. As soon as I stopped taking it, gained all the weight back plus more. Ruined my metabolism and not sure I will ever be able to lose the weight that I need to lose. BE CAREFUL. I wasn't aware that there were any docs out there still prescribing the stuff. Better to watch what you eat, exercise.....not what you wanted to hear, probably. I know. We are all searching for a magic bullet but there isn't one.