my husband makes me mad

Options

Replies

• Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My kid is 90th something percentile in height and weight. The doctor told me once to watch her diet because they didn't want her to weigh so much. I had her pull up her shirt and show him her 6 pack. It's never been brought up again.

Why not a banana and nutella? Or chocolate flavored applesauce. At least he's eating fruit.

Now I want a banana and nutella. Or with chocolate powder. Must.go.to.grocery.store.

OMG Nutella on bananas. That becomes bad for me because I can't moderate.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If it gets the kid to eat the banana then it's a plus. As long as the chocolate was dusted on and not piled it should be okay. There is nothing wrong with an occasional treat, but if you are against your son having any of the chocolate, I wouldn't have it in the house. My son was charted as being obese as well and barely has baby fat. The doctor even said that you could look at him and see he's obviously not obese. Those charts are crap.
  • m00nflwr
    m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Breathe. Parenting is the most difficult thing. My husband and I have very different opinions on food. We've been together 7 years and over that period of time I've VERY SLOWLY introduced healthier versions of what he likes to eat. I think the banana with chocolate is fine. Maybe not necessary to have chocolate on it, but I bet the kid ate the whole banana. The best you can do is to be a good example and provide the best choices for your child.

This is good, real-life advice. Don't make it a battle and a negative experience. Just set a good example for your husband as well as your child. Have real conversations about food and the affects on your mood and body with your child. Go food shopping together or even better, go to a farmer's market or a local farm if you have some nearby. Grow some food together. Talk about the healthy food and what that really means and how it actually affects the body. Little kids are not too young to understand this stuff!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    i must be the only person who thinks something like a banana with chocolate powder mix for milk (it's not chocolate flavored powdered milk....it's just chocolate powder with sugar and other stuff) sounds disgusting.

but now a frozen banana dipped in dark chocolate and rolled in nuts? Yum!

I will have to try the banana nutella thing....that sounds amazing.....I mean, bananas go so well with peanut butter...and chocolate.....so....
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Marriage is always a give and take battle. You always need to adjust where the lines are and this is both parties in it. After all most 13 years myself we are in a never ending swing of who and where and what needs to be adjusted. If something isn't working and he is making you made maybe try to see what you can do to change to get him to change. It works for us. Someone ALWAYS needs to take the first step though it's just a matter of who is going to do it.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So I have a little rant..I'm fine with my husband wanting to eat like crap and not exercise...well...not really, but it's his choice so whatever. What gets me is him always feeding our kids junk and thinking it's okay. I think eating well is important duh.. My son (6) is a biggish boy, is considered obese, at least that's what the paper he brought home from school said, even though his doctor wasn't concerned about it, he's in the 90th percentile, but he's a healthy boy is what I was told. The thing is this morning for a snack he wanted a banana cut up with that powdered chocolate milk mix on top, um what? yeah that's the way his dad made it for him the other day. My husband is always finding new ways to make food not as good for you, and I'm sick of it!

He's your husband for a reason. :smile: You two have to be compatible one way or another. Tell him how this all makes you feel. If he cares about you (Assuming so since you're married) he should see that you really care about keeping your kids healthy. If it's important to you he should really look into it. Plus, FFS it's your kids health! What a derp. Haha. :tongue: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    He's your husband, he's supposed to make you mad. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    this morning for a snack he wanted a banana cut up with that powdered chocolate milk mix on top, um what?

Your husband is a genius! I want to try this now. Seriously, this sounds amazing. I think it's a clever way to get him to eat fruit.

My daughter wasn't chubby but she was a tad overweight for a few years. They grow out of it normally. Just don't let it get out of hand.

That was my first thought as well.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    He's your husband, he's supposed to make you mad. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

This is very true. :grumble:
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i never even THOUGHT to put my chocolate powder on a banana.

Thank your husband for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams is good on bananas, too.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    Funny thread lol I guess there are some blessing in being single lol

Seriously....my son is 3 years old and unlike me, he is actually on the smaller side of normal!!!! His pediatrician does not look at the charts though....as long as his growth is steady then that's all that matters to him!!!! Now when I was growing up...I was always on the higher end of the heigh/weight charts and doctors and looking at those charts gave me such a negative body image that I am still trying to shake off!!!! I thought I was so fat in high school because of what those charts said....when I look at my pictures back then, I was actually quite thin and very active!!!!

The thought of sprinking powdered chocolate milk on a banana to me is personally disgusting as well....but Nesquick is low calorie!!!! Good thing my son loves...and I mean LOVES fruit-and he eats his veggies most of the time because I did try to introduce those things when he was a baby so at least HE could be healthy!!!! That doesn't mean he doesn't like his sugar!!!! His care giver is guilty of giving him sugary juices, cookies, etc. at times....but I feel it balances itself out with how he eats the majority of the time!!!! Plus, for MY sanity....I don't bring junk into the house...if we are at a store, and he asks for it (which is not often) I will buy him a candy bar or a honey bun. I just think the most important part of it all is he have a healthy relationship with food because I didn't have one at all. My mom used to spazz over what I ate, even when I did eat fruit....because I was alightly overweight, she harped on the "bad" stuff.

Point being-relax!!!!! Just like some of the other posts have said...set an example. Believe me he is watching!!!!
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So I have a little rant..I'm fine with my husband wanting to eat like crap and not exercise...well...not really, but it's his choice so whatever. What gets me is him always feeding our kids junk and thinking it's okay. I think eating well is important duh.. My son (6) is a biggish boy, is considered obese, at least that's what the paper he brought home from school said, even though his doctor wasn't concerned about it, he's in the 90th percentile, but he's a healthy boy is what I was told. The thing is this morning for a snack he wanted a banana cut up with that powdered chocolate milk mix on top, um what? yeah that's the way his dad made it for him the other day. My husband is always finding new ways to make food not as good for you, and I'm sick of it!

A BANANA WITH POWDERED CHOCOLATE ON IT???

I'm surprised your son didn't keel over from a heart attack. I mean, that is the epitome of unhealthy. DIVORCE!!!! I say.

MURDER I say!!!!
    That escalated quickly
  • Bajiggity
    Bajiggity Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams is good on bananas, too.

omg love this :heart:
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

MURDER I say!!!!
    That escalated quickly

Well_that_escalated_quickly.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds like a tasty and healthy treat. A banana with chocolate powder. My kids are going to love that!
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds like a tasty and healthy treat. A banana with chocolate powder. My kids are going to love that!

Agreed. I think a bit of chocolate powder on it is splitting hairs. The key is a bit...and not gobs. Like adults kids do need to have some balance in their diet. healthy healthy healthy will also lead to very bad eating habits in them when they swing the other way and the food is available.

Also, you didn't mention exercise? How about "That looks yummy with the chocolate and banana. How about we go play some hoops up at the park after you eat that?"
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    just send the kid to a camp........if husband is going to feed him junk food send son to camp to hit the pocket book.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    yum
  • droppinlbslikeangels
    Options
    My daughter wasn't chubby but she was a tad overweight for a few years. They grow out of it normally. Just don't let it get out of hand.

Take it from a former overweight child of parents who ate nothing but crap.

...Not all of them grow out of it :sad:

My dad was really bad also. 4 packets of ramen between me (6) and my brother (12) for dinner every weeknight because my mom worked evenings. Yikes!