• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    He would be so proud of you.

<3
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    My MFP friends have heard this before and I suppose that it's progress that it hasn't hit me in quite awhile like it did today. In the last 11 months I have lost quite a bit of weight (and I still have quite a ways more to go). And while that's wonderful and terrific, my motivation was the passing of my sweet, sweet boyfriend, the person that I loved more than anyone else in the world.

He and I were both morbidly obese. My BMI at the start of this journey was 60.6. His was even higher. Why couldn't we see what we were doing to ourselves? Why couldn't we figure out how much better we would feel if we just tried a little bit to care about ourselves and each other more?

Why did it take his death for me to realize that this isn't just about vanity, it's about getting to live and living well and that it's something that I can achieve?

Things that I have learned along the way: Losing weight takes time. Don't expect miracles overnight. Don't expect that every week will be a victory. Never, ever give up. Even if you gain a little weight here and there along your journey, you are still a success as long as you never give up and keep trying to move forward.

Never, ever give up.

Take a look at your life, see what small changes you can make *that you can live with forever* that will make you a little bit healthier than before and start there. You don't have to figure it all out at once, you just have to start somewhere and to keep on going no matter what.

Reach out to your MFP friends for support and if you don't have MFP friends, get some. I know that mine have been invaluable to me. Above all, take the time to care about yourself and know that it is the greatest gift that you could possibly give to you and to those that care about you as well.

(I've started this thread not for sympathy, but so that others might share in the inspiration that carries me along, may it give them strength to believe in themselves and to make their health a priority.)

I wish health, love, and happiness to you all.

Edited to add: My profile picture is the two of us sometime in 2012.
    Very inspiring what you've chosen to do for your life... I'm so proud of you for learning to take care of YOU! :drinker:

Sending you healing hugs on the loss of your Love, He would be (is!) so very proud of you as well, I'm sure of it!:heart:
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread just once because today would have been my boyfriend's 48th birthday.

Would have been...

Celebrate life everyday. Make yourself a priority.
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good luck love,

I am sure he would have been so proud of you!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    thank you for this.

There are many posts that are inspiring and motivating - but your post just really hit me. I have to do this, and I am not going to stop this time. I don't want to die from this.

My heart goes out to you. It is so sad to lose someone we love. I am proud of you for having the strength to continue on this journey.
  • Harmony2376
    Harmony2376 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    After reading that, I am definitely at the top of my own to-do list today :heart:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You ARE an inspriration. I try to get my wife on board wqith the lifestyle change i am undergoing. Keep up the trying and continuing to change. I AM proud of you.
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    WOW! What an inspirational story! I'm so sorry for your loss! You really have hit the nail on the head. Everything you said really struck a chord w/ me. I have been feeling very frustrated and pissy, now I realize that life is to short for all of that - and for that I Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. But it takes great strength and courage to turn a very tragic time into one that can inspire. I know he would be really proud of you!
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. I never cease to be amazed and overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers. Keep up the good work, every one of you!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, but very proud of you for taking control of your own health.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    My MFP friends have heard this before and I suppose that it's progress that it hasn't hit me in quite awhile like it did today. In the last 11 months I have lost quite a bit of weight (and I still have quite a ways more to go). And while that's wonderful and terrific, my motivation was the passing of my sweet, sweet boyfriend, the person that I loved more than anyone else in the world.

He and I were both morbidly obese. My BMI at the start of this journey was 60.6. His was even higher. Why couldn't we see what we were doing to ourselves? Why couldn't we figure out how much better we would feel if we just tried a little bit to care about ourselves and each other more?

Why did it take his death for me to realize that this isn't just about vanity, it's about getting to live and living well and that it's something that I can achieve?

Things that I have learned along the way: Losing weight takes time. Don't expect miracles overnight. Don't expect that every week will be a victory. Never, ever give up. Even if you gain a little weight here and there along your journey, you are still a success as long as you never give up and keep trying to move forward.

Never, ever give up.

Take a look at your life, see what small changes you can make *that you can live with forever* that will make you a little bit healthier than before and start there. You don't have to figure it all out at once, you just have to start somewhere and to keep on going no matter what.

Reach out to your MFP friends for support and if you don't have MFP friends, get some. I know that mine have been invaluable to me. Above all, take the time to care about yourself and know that it is the greatest gift that you could possibly give to you and to those that care about you as well.

(I've started this thread not for sympathy, but so that others might share in the inspiration that carries me along, may it give them strength to believe in themselves and to make their health a priority.)

I wish health, love, and happiness to you all.

Edited to add: My profile picture is the two of us sometime in 2012.
    I came here to MFP today with an angry face and hurt in my heart. You have made me snap out of it and smarten up. Your story has helped me today, so from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!! I am sorry about your loved one, but grateful that you turned it into a life lesson and have shared it with us. You are a super human! :)

I posted earlier on this thread when it was first posted... and once again :heart: :heart: :heart: So appreciative you shared all your did... it can sometimes take another person sharing something really painful in their life to help the rest of us appreciate all that we have in life!! Thank you again :o)

allisonrinkel - so grateful you shared your thoughts as well... as I was saying just above... amazing how the story of something in another's life can have a trickle down effect... it can be such a powerful thing.:heart::flowerforyou:

Hearts:heart:
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with us! It takes a very special person to turn loss in to motivation!!

I am sure he is very proud of you! Thank you for the inspiration!
  • buffermarie
    buffermarie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This was a beautifully honest post. Sorry to hear about your love... But so happy to hear about your changes.
    If I can say I am proud without sounding like a stranger...
    I am!