MFP Runner's Club July 2

Options
13»

Replies

• annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I've been looking at beginners running training.. couch to 5k etc. I was wondering how you measure timings when you're running? Are there any neat bits of kit that will beep every minute or do you just guess?

Nat :smile:

treadmills are great for that. Outside I go more by blocks instead of minutes - unless you're good with a stop watch or a timer on the ipod (I always screw mine up when I'm running so it doesn't help me).

I hope someone else has some great ideas for you.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I've been looking at beginners running training.. couch to 5k etc. I was wondering how you measure timings when you're running? Are there any neat bits of kit that will beep every minute or do you just guess?

Hi there Nat!

I use runningmap.com to map my route's mileage. I use a stop watch to keep up with the time while I am running. Nothing fancy. I got it at Target for $8.99.

I hope this helps
    -Kechie.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Got 5 miles in. Wanted to do 7, but I'm too sluggy in the evenings. :sad:
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I bucked up and did the 25 minute run tonight. I walked for 2 minutes of it in the middle, but I'm counting it anyways so I can finish week 6 (c25k). I can't believe that I can run for almost 25 minutes, seriously...never thought I'd see the day!!!! It only turned out to be about 1.75 miles, but I just working on pounding out the minutes and will increase speed later! Anyways, just wanted to jump on here to shout it to the world that I actually did it!!!! Yippee!!!!

Heidi
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Going for a run after work!

Oh you are there! Thanks for checking in - I am waiting for the day you start running and just forget to stop!! :laugh:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    I bucked up and did the 25 minute run tonight. I walked for 2 minutes of it in the middle, but I'm counting it anyways so I can finish week 6 (c25k). I can't believe that I can run for almost 25 minutes, seriously...never thought I'd see the day!!!! It only turned out to be about 1.75 miles, but I just working on pounding out the minutes and will increase speed later! Anyways, just wanted to jump on here to shout it to the world that I actually did it!!!! Yippee!!!!

Heidi

YEA YOU!! That is great!! We knew you had it in you! see next time you are having a bad day we will remind you of this!! Keep moving!

Tricia
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Got 5 miles in. Wanted to do 7, but I'm too sluggy in the evenings. :sad:

Good goin' miss thang!!! There is always tomorrow! and the next day, and then next day....

I did my 3.5 Interval/speed tonight and I was draggin *kitten* and now my shins are hurting...ACK!:grumble:
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I know this is late for all the east coasters, but I had to check in!

I got in 6 miles this morning. It felt great and I think I'm back after missing so many days while on vacation.

It was good to read everyone's posts today--very encouraging, thanks!

Julie
  • nat8100
    nat8100 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi all!

Hi there Nat!

I use runningmap.com to map my route's mileage. I use a stop watch to keep up with the time while I am running. Nothing fancy. I got it at Target for $8.99.

I hope this helps
    -Kechie.

Hi Kechie, thanks for your reply. I assumed the website you mentioned would only have US maps but it doesn't! I have found route maps all around my house and the area I live which is brilliant Not sure how good I'll be at checking a stop watch while running but might give it a go as well. Thank you.
  • nat8100
    nat8100 Posts: 17
    Options

treadmills are great for that. Outside I go more by blocks instead of minutes - unless you're good with a stop watch or a timer on the ipod (I always screw mine up when I'm running so it doesn't help me).

I hope someone else has some great ideas for you.

Not so good on the treadmills, prefer to run outside as it is much quicker than driving to the gym. I live in the country so perhaps I could use the odd tree as a marker... not sure I trust myself to measure the running distances accurately though; will probably end up walking for 5mins and running for 30secs! :smile: Thanks