I'm kind of depressed about overeating yesterday!

Options
Like seriously, it has bothered me all freakin day! I'm only 12-13 weeks into this journey - and a journey it is. It has caused me to change my relationship with food altogether, and I just feel like this one mess up threw me all off my game! Help! Tell me its okay i screwed up yesterday (with mexican food AND a margarita). Blahhhhh. My diary is open to friends I believe- i can try to open it public if someone tells me how (if its not public already)

Replies

• chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    One meal will not make you fat just like one meal will not make you skinny! Don't beat yourself up...this is a journey and we all have made mistakes. One thing for sure, when I do screw up, I accept it and move forward. NEVER going back to the old me!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way...did you plan to never eat Mexican food and drink margaritas again, ever?

If the answer is no, then you have made a lifestyle change, and with that, there is room for special occasions. Life happens. Stay within your calorie goals for the rest of the week or do an extra workout, if that will make you feel better about overindulging. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    One meal will not make you fat just like one meal will not make you skinny! Don't beat yourself up...this is a journey and we all have made mistakes. One thing for sure, when I do screw up, I accept it and move forward. NEVER going back to the old me!

QFT

Don't make a habit of it, and you'll be OK. It's fine to have a cheat day every once in awhile.
  • hetx2mommy
    hetx2mommy Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks! i went about 400 cals over (so 1600 for the day).
    I made my diary public now too.
    I've lost 22 lbs thus far - started in April.
    Just want to keep going and not let this throw me off!
    I have eaten out since being on this journey but have never screwed up that bad!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! You have to live in the real world after all! If you know roughly how many calories you overdid - you could to a bit of extra exercise to pay back if it makes you feel better :smile:

I think the problem isn't what you ate and drank - the problem is what it's doing to your head. So change the way you think about it - instead of worrying about how much you ate and drank one day, try thinking - it's just one day, there are 364 more in a year! Worst case scenario it means you won't lose the next lb quite so quickly! But you'll lose it.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    it is one meal you will be fine just keep working out be consistent only exercise that matters is habit
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    The adage "One day at a time" (or one meal at a time) really applies here.
    Every day or meal can be a do-over.
    Also, this is not a race. Give yourself the time you need and be kind to yourself.

I remember how shocked I was to discover, after the fact, how much fat and sodium there is in antipasto. Oopsie! I chalked it up to a learning experience. It set me back by a few days, but then those few days had passed and in the meantime I had gotten back on track the day after that meal. No biggie. No worries. Just keep on keepin' on.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the typical 1 pound/week setting (-500 calories/day), you're still 100 calories under maintenance!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way...did you plan to never eat Mexican food and drink margaritas again, ever?

If the answer is no, then you have made a lifestyle change, and with that, there is room for special occasions. Life happens. Stay within your calorie goals for the rest of the week or do an extra workout, if that will make you feel better about overindulging. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:

^This
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just so you know you didn't really mess up.. you simply just veered off course for a moment. Sometimes those moments fuel us even more to kick *kitten* in our workouts and drink more water and then stay on point.. Then .. you can and will eat something off of your plan again.. something indulgent.. and guess what? It's ok! We are meant to enjoy life and food. Just keep working out and keep having more good healthy choice days than unhealthy choice days.

I just ate a burrito bowl and I am ok with it.. I had a great week of healthy eating and awesome workouts including today. You know what's weird? A day or two after I think I "messed up", I usually lose weight..

You are normal.. just move forward with your next healthy meal and workout in mind! Good luck and enjoy your journey!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a journey. And you're going to be on it for the rest of your life. It's perfectly ok to take some detours, visit some roadside attractions, and pull into a rest stop every now and then.

You'll still get there.

And for the record, I'm currently depressed because I HAVEN'T had a margarita. We're out of tequila. :sad:
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    IT OK!!!!! it happens and the best thing you can do is move on! one bad meal or bad day is not gonna mess up the whole plan :) move on and move forward and dont feel depressed! GOOD LUCK!
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a journey. And you're going to be on it for the rest of your life. It's perfectly ok to take some detours, visit some roadside attractions, and pull into a rest stop every now and then.

You'll still get there.

LOVE THIS!
  • Junie2013
    Junie2013 Posts: 53
    Options

zactly :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    thanks! i went about 400 cals over (so 1600 for the day).
    I made my diary public now too.
    I've lost 22 lbs thus far - started in April.
    Just want to keep going and not let this throw me off!
    I have eaten out since being on this journey but have never screwed up that bad!

You only went 400 calories over? You didn't even hit maintenance. There is no problem here.
  • crzycylr
    crzycylr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is a journey for most of us. You will make mistakes and learn from them. Most important is to not let one meal or one day turn everyhting upside down. That has always been my pattern. And its' just gotten me chubby. Move on because you deserve it.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Don't Panic! This is not a problem. You have been doing fantastic. If I go over, I look at the weekly average and try to keep that on plan. A little bit above or below the target is not a problem!
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    I know 400 cals seems like a lot (I HATE seeing red numbers!), but keep in mind that it takes 3500 cals to gain a pound. Compared to that, 400 doesn't seem as scary. Do what others have suggested - be good for the rest of the week, and if you still feel guilty try to get in an extra workout where you don't eat back your cals.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Enjoying one meal and a margarita is not "screwing up"! As others have said, one meal is not going to make or break this process for you. Part of forming a better relationship with food involves being able to enjoy the pot lucks, the birthday parties, the holidays, and the evenings out and not stress out or feel guilty about partaking in normal life events.

Don't be so hard on yourself! Learn to enjoy the occasional bumps in the road, log them, learn from them (if needed), and keep going!
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    One meal will not make you fat just like one meal will not make you skinny!

Love this! I need to remind myself of this all the time, but it is so true!