Tips for changing eating habits

Options
I'm wondering what useful tips people can share about how they've changed eating habits to help shed the lbs.

For example, I know I used to binge on biscuits because I'd get them from the kitchen, and eat them en route to the front room, so when I got there they'd gone, and I'd go back for more. So now I take one biscuit, and keep the biscuit out of my mouth till I'm sitting down so that I'm not mindlessly shovelling food down without noticing.

I also try to eat more slowly and put my cutlery down and rest.

I wait at least 20 minutes after a meal before deciding whether I want a dessert, because it can take that long for your brain to register that your stomach is full.

And of course, portion control, weighing things, only cooking enough so there's no leftovers.

What works for you?

Replies

• elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    definitely weighing food is a big thing. I used to thing I was having a 30g bowl of cereal when it was actually 80g. It was only on Monday someone else had put up about weighing food I thought I better start. I got a shock when I started weighing everything but I'm not hungry by the smaller portions just realising I ate too big of portions before hand,
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been pleasantly surprised - I rarely feel hungry. But your stomach can stretch to accommodate larger quantities, so presumably it's happy to shrink for smaller quantities. And I love not-feeling bloated - just satisfied.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Using metal measuring spoons & cups works for me.Chips of any sort are counted. I estimate sizes of fruit,go by the nutrition info on box ,bag or can when I can.

Dry foods can easily up your portions.A heaping spoon full of sugar on a heaping cupful of cereal has a different calorie count.Using heaping portions is fine if you add the calories . Everyone is different & needs to find what works for them.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Using metal measuring spoons & cups works for me.Chips of any sort are counted. I estimate sizes of fruit,go by the nutrition info on box ,bag or can when I can.

Dry foods can easily up your portions.A heaping spoon full of sugar on a heaping cupful of cereal has a different calorie count.Using heaping portions is fine if you add the calories . Everyone is different & needs to find what works for them.

Do you stick to that easily? I do find smetimes I'm tempted to guess when I'm in a hurry - think "that looks like 30g" - which is the slippery slope of course!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Weighing meats & measuring other foods taught me portion control. I don't weigh everything now. I know what 6 oz of chicken looks like now.

My big thing now in maintenance is realizing that I only want a taste of a sweet treat, so I am now ordering kiddie size ice cream cones and giving away most of the bigger treat before I even eat it. Instead of going crazy and eating 2 portions of cake.... eeek! (That was an odd couple weeks!)
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There are numerous tips; here are some:

Ditch the processed foods.
    Plan ahead - take an hour or so a week to prep your food. This simplifies busy meal times and it will help you stay focused.
    water, water and more water. (add lemon juice if you don't like the taste of plain water)
  • valchemist
    valchemist Posts: 28
    Options
    An awesome book/program that deals with this topic is called the Beck Diet Solution. It isn't a separate diet. It is meant to be used in combination with whatever plan you are on to ensure success on that plan.

There is a group on mfp. It isn't currently very active (though it would be great if we could get a few new members to perk it up). But whether you join or not, there is a little info/help in some of the posts on the board there. I highly recommend buying the book (or checking it out from your library).

here is the beck group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2019-beck-diet-solution-challenge
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The last few days, I've made a game of weighing my food. Most foods that give you a cup size for the serving also give you grams. I switch my scale to grams for this game. So for instance, yesterday I was packing my lunch and taking two tablespoons of light sour cream to go with my chicken tacos. I weighed the container I was taking it in, then I eyeballed the two tablespoons. Then I put it on the scale and after subtracting the weight of the container, I have the weight in grams of the serving. Yes even an amount that small is easy to overestimate. Regarding chips or crackers, I also like to compare to see if their estimate on how many chips are in a serving actually equate to the weight in grams.

I've done this little game 5 or 6 times the past few days, and it's teaching me a lesson. I need to rethink my guessed portions, because let's be honest, I'm not going to go to a nice restaurant and pull out my food scale.

My calorie count for the day is probably the thing that motivates me not to overeat. I hate days when I get to dinner and only have barely enough calories left for a decent dinner. I also tend to like something sweet after dinner, and that's not always possible if I haven't planned ahead.

H
  • rikkian
    rikkian Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Last year I got into the habit of planning my meals for the week ahead. I found that I save so much money on shopping now that I am only buying what I know I'll eat within a week. I have no leftovers unless I'm making something that I know I'll freeze to have later such as Lasagne. Having no leftovers stops me from having "seconds". I also have no food wastage any more. That thing where you walk round the supermarket buying things you fancy but get home and never actually eat before it goes off.

I also weigh everything I eat including butter and spreads that go on bread/toast.
  • KRobertson36
    KRobertson36 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten to the point of weighing food as of yet. I find that just using MFP helps keep me accountable for what I am actually eating. While I was in residency I slacked off and would eat what was around and easy. I started back up and found myself asking do I really want to log that peice of food? I have found that kills the sweet junk food I usually eat. I have found that being accountable for what I am eating has helped me more than anything. Don't know if that helps but there you go.
  • abbyherrington
    Options
    I think that the biggest change that I ever made was cutting out processed foods, which is harder than it sounds. Secondly, I opted out of red meats and replaced them with chicken and fish. For example, instead of spaghetti and meatballs it's spaghetti and shrimp. Not only is the shrimp better than fried hamburger but it is extremely filling so you can be satisfied on a much smaller portion. I would also suggest looking for some healthier snack alternatives because let's face it, snacking is going to happen. Lately my late night snack has been baby carrots with light zesty italian dressing. The carrots are healthy and the italian dressing adds a ton of flavour with only 5 cals per tablespoon. Although I know it's best to drop the salad dressing altogether, it makes you feel like you're treating yourself a bit, without the empty calories of a biscuit. Small things like this have helped me immensely, and I hope they help you or others as well.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    One thing I know I do is I eat too quickly! Me and my hubby can sit down to the same plate of food, and I've polished mine off before he's got half way. And that leaves me wanting more! Which is when I usually head for seconds, or nag him to give me his.

I really really struggle to slow myself down and give my stomach a chance to deal with each mouthful one by one!

I do try things like putting my cutlery down, cutting smaller forkfuls, taking smaller bites, chewing more. But it's hard!
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree that eliminating processed foods is half the battle. This is specifically about changing habits:
    1. eat four meals a day so that you are not hungry during great long gaps between meals
    2. always eat in one place, however small the snack: kitchen or dining room only, sitting down, with proper cutlery and/or plate and concentrate on savouring what you are eating - never eat in the lounge or whilst doing other activities like reading / watching TV
    3. think whilst you are eating what it will feel like when you finish and in three hours before your next meal
    4. drink a glass of water whenever you feel like eating in between meals
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Glass of water is good too! And I read somewhere that most people are dehydrated to some extent, and don't take enough fluids and that sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger so grab a snack when we ought to be drinking a glass of water!
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For me, discovering what would work came over time. I think this gradual process was actually a very important key. I was able to how to learn properly eat and exercise by creating new routines that eventually became permanent habits. My approach from the beginning was: whatever I do to lose the weight must be what I am willing to do for rest of my life.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My biggest change was I stopped keeping a bag of munchies in my car - it's amazing how 20 times a small handful of tortilla chips over an hour drive (one way commute to work) adds up. I also am eating more vegetables (always preferred veg over fruit, but a healthy salad at lunch instead of a processed "meal" no matter how low calorie, seems to make a big difference). I'm eating cleaner than ever - I've always avoided artificial sweetener, but now I'm even more carefully reading the labels on "convenience foods". I still eat processed things - tuna or salmon in pouches makes a great protein source in my lunch salad and we do, occasionally have ham or sausages for dinner, but much of the lunch meat and such I used to eat is "gone" with no regret. I don't really measure or weigh anything, which is contrary to general advice here, but the "numbers" seem to be going in my favor - lost about 4 pounds in the last month, eating about 1400-1500 calories a day (by my "reckoning"), not eating back exercise unless "extreme" (like fencing practice), because I don't exercise "hard" all that much and "measuring" my food by eye.
  • NeverTooLateJudy
    Options
    For me, discovering what would work came over time. I think this gradual process was actually a very important key. I was able to how to learn properly eat and exercise by creating new routines that eventually became permanent habits. My approach from the beginning was: whatever I do to lose the weight must be what I am willing to do for rest of my life.

This :)
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    I don't really measure or weigh anything, which is contrary to general advice here, but the "numbers" seem to be going in my favor - lost about 4 pounds in the last month,
    Yeah but if it works, it works! It's got to be what's right for you - everything isn't right for everyone :smile:
  • tigerlily_
    tigerlily_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've found that splashing out on those pre-prepared bags of baby salad leaves really helps me - you can eat half the pack for 30 calories and it makes whatever small meal you're eating seem much more substantial!
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    definitely weighing food is a big thing. I used to thing I was having a 30g bowl of cereal when it was actually 80g. It was only on Monday someone else had put up about weighing food I thought I better start. I got a shock when I started weighing everything but I'm not hungry by the smaller portions just realising I ate too big of portions before hand,

i agree with this
    i bought a nice food scale and i was shocked to see how little food is in a portion. i was having double or sometimes triple the amount listed as "one serving."