Best heart rate Monitor?

Options
I'm starting Insanity 40 days from tomorrow and I wanted to know which one would be more suitable for it. I've never purchased one nor do I know anything about them. But, I read a post that you can't just log in Insanity on MFP without doing it yourself with your own calories burnt. I'm looking for something that works well, but not too expensive. Trying to stay under $100 lol.
Thank you in advance(:

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    BestHRM_zps32b0911d.jpg

Polar makes a pretty dependable line of products. You probably just want something like the FT4. That will set you back around $70. Just look around and see if you can find a good deal on one.

There are other good brands as well. Just don't get something that doesn't have a chest strap because it's going to suck for dependability. I personally have two different Polar products and they're very dependable.
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT 4. I LOVE it. It has made all the differance in the world. It tells me how many calories i have burned and how hard my heart rate is getting. i bought it for like 70 dollars. would definitely recommend it. the chest strap i was worried about but i don't even know it is there.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Polar all the way my hubby got me a cheaper one by Kelly Holmes and it broke after 6 months and now use his polar and the calories burn is alot less too which means the cheap one was given me poor readings as well
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    Why would we have to get one with a chest strap?
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    Oh I do have the Polar FT4 on my wish list on amazon!!!! That is the one I picked out!!!! Okay, glad to hear some people really like it. You can get it on Amazon.com for about 65 bucks
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and love it :D It was about £70 on amazon
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Why would we have to get one with a chest strap?
    The HRM reads the electrical signal your body sends to make the heart contract and squeeze. It's not measuring your pulse by vibration or feeling. If you're wanting to record this signal the best place to measure that is near your heart.
  • bunnyhawk
    bunnyhawk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Im a fan of suunto:)
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I have a Wahoo Blue HRM, and I love it! I would go with chest strap for accuracy.
  • AdrianasMombieED
    AdrianasMombieED Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Alot of people like Polars,huh? lol. I guess I'll have to look into that one.
    I'll look into the other ones as well.
    Thank you everyone for the responses! much appreciated(:
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar H7 Transmitter. It connects through bluetooth to the iphone app and it helps track your workouts like a journal! It is amazing & it isn't anymore expensive than any of the watches! I hated wearing the watch when I was lifting and stuff :/
  • lillie02
    lillie02 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT7 off of amazon for $82 and I love it! Definitely the best money I've spent on myself. It's totally worth it.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be the way to go, I recently got an Ft7 and love it. My only gripe is the beats per minute and time in training are on two different screens. I have to switch back and forth to see my heart rate and time rest sessions between sets. Not a big deal but it's one thing that I will keep in mind when/if I upgrade.

They also sink up wirelessly to some of the cardio equipment you see in gyms, no more holding the metal handles to check HR.
  • jdp9130
    jdp9130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be the way to go, I recently got an Ft7 and love it. My only gripe is the beats per minute and time in training are on two different screens. I have to switch back and forth to see my heart rate and time rest sessions between sets. Not a big deal but it's one thing that I will keep in mind when/if I upgrade.

They also sink up wirelessly to some of the cardio equipment you see in gyms, no more holding the metal handles to check HR.

+1 to this!
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wish I had checked out threads like this before I bought my HRM...It only cost me $11 on ebay, but it is just a watch, no chest strap and I think it's giving me over-inflated calorie burns. When I save up enough I'll check out getting a Polar one. I have a rather large chest :blushing: , Is that going to be a problem with finding a chest strap that will fit?
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    When I save up enough I'll check out getting a Polar one. I have a rather large chest :blushing: , Is that going to be a problem with finding a chest strap that will fit?
    The strap will sit just under where the bottom of your bra hits at the very bottom of your sternum.
  • crazeedeysi
    crazeedeysi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 LOVE IT!
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I bought a polar chest strap that has blue tooth ($50-60) and it connects to a free polar heart rate, GPS, mileage app on my iPhone (any smart phone would work). I also previously had a regular polar with watch and chest strap (unsure of model number, but it is the one you can buy currently at ****'s for $80). I find they are similar in burn amounts.

Here is a question I have...my polar traditional model (with a watch, not phone) and my new set-up (strap only and phone) both do this thing where my HR will be "accurate" (you know, 140-160) and then next thing I know it drops to 80, 88, 74, then it goes back up to the 140-160 range randomly. I feel like it happens most often with higher impact movement (jump, thrust, faster running and bouncing)...but sometimes I'll just be lightly jogging, low impact, and it does it! MAKES ME MAD! haha. any thoughts? I even changed the battery in my watch and strap on traditional, no luck, then went and bought an actual NEW polar traditional, and STILL had this issue.
  • yogayug
    yogayug Posts: 15
    Options
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I swear by my polar (FT7). The only downside is that it doesn't sync with MFP and you have to manually enter the calories into MFP after your workout/activity. Having said that - its a tiny inconvenience.