A couple other free courses (July start)

Options
xinit0
xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
The Science of Gastronomy
by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Jul 10th 2013 (6 weeks long)

https://www.coursera.org/course/scigast

This course introduces students to elements of science behind cooking, cuisine preparation and the enjoyment of food. The ultimate goal is to help students recognize the importance of scientific principles being applied in everyday life, so that they will appreciate and be able to apply some of these principles in their future cooking practice, including the manipulation of human perception.

Item of note on syllabus: A Perfect Steak

Nutrition and Physical Activity for Health
by University of Pittsburgh
Jul 15th 2013 (6 weeks long)

https://www.coursera.org/course/nutritionforhealth

This course is designed to provide a foundation of nutritional knowledge to develop a sustainable pattern of healthy eating. To this will be added a foundation of knowledge related to physical activity and exercise. These two key lifestyle behaviors are then brought together under the umbrella of calorie balance, which is the understanding of how we balance the calories that we eat in our diet with the calories that we burn to sustain life and to perform all of our daily tasks and functions.

Exercise Physiology: Understanding the Athlete Within
by University of Melbourne
Jul 22nd 2013 (6 weeks long)

https://www.coursera.org/course/exphys

This course examines the physiological responses to acute and chronic exercise, with a focus on skeletal muscle, energy metabolism, the oxygen transport system and temperature and fluid balance. The factors that limit exercise performance will be reviewed and the role of genes in determining athletic performance will be considered. At the end of this course, you should have a better understanding of the athlete within!

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info.
    to anyone out there who is not sure about taking a course via coursera, i encourage you to try it out. so much valuable information!
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I will help keep this one bumped too. Keep in mind that not all coursera courses are created equally - I've taken 8 so far (to completion) and the quality of presentation varies from school to school and professor to professor, but I've only been unhappy with one course presentation (I dropped that class half way through). And few have blown me away.

When they ask you to take the pre-course survey, please do. And if you take a course to completion, please take the post-course survey. All of the MOOCs are in their infancy so our feedback early on in the process of providing Massive Open Online Courses is crucial. We can have a tiny hand in guiding their development.

Carry on. :smile:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this information! I have enrolled in one, and can't wait!
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump for people to think about.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.
  • agidavis
    agidavis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thanks!
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bumping again.
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump for later ^^
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    The Science of Gastronomy
    by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
    Jul 10th 2013 (6 weeks long)

https://www.coursera.org/course/scigast

This course introduces students to elements of science behind cooking, cuisine preparation and the enjoyment of food. The ultimate goal is to help students recognize the importance of scientific principles being applied in everyday life, so that they will appreciate and be able to apply some of these principles in their future cooking practice, including the manipulation of human perception.

Item of note on syllabus: A Perfect Steak

Nutrition and Physical Activity for Health
    by University of Pittsburgh
    Jul 15th 2013 (6 weeks long)

https://www.coursera.org/course/nutritionforhealth

This course is designed to provide a foundation of nutritional knowledge to develop a sustainable pattern of healthy eating. To this will be added a foundation of knowledge related to physical activity and exercise. These two key lifestyle behaviors are then brought together under the umbrella of calorie balance, which is the understanding of how we balance the calories that we eat in our diet with the calories that we burn to sustain life and to perform all of our daily tasks and functions.

Exercise Physiology: Understanding the Athlete Within
    by University of Melbourne
    Jul 22nd 2013 (6 weeks long)

https://www.coursera.org/course/exphys

This course examines the physiological responses to acute and chronic exercise, with a focus on skeletal muscle, energy metabolism, the oxygen transport system and temperature and fluid balance. The factors that limit exercise performance will be reviewed and the role of genes in determining athletic performance will be considered. At the end of this course, you should have a better understanding of the athlete within!

Already enrolled in the first two. Took the pre course survey for the the Gastronomy one. Coursera is a great concept. I am hooked.
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by 'other'? Were there even more courses in the first place?
  • gpfan5
    gpfan5 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Reminds me I need to check out the updated selection! I enrolled in 2 classes this past spring, got about halfway through one , but couldn't get into the other. I agree, the instructor and their pace makes a big difference - still, FREE is wonderful!!! I was really pleasantly surprised at the quality of the one class I got halfway through. :)
  • gpfan5
    gpfan5 Posts: 12
    Options
    They have a ton of courses, check out their selection - the last 2 classes I took were on nutrition (couldn't get into) and cooking for kids (really fun and informative)!
  • snoopycool
    snoopycool Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Never knew Coursera existed!
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Never knew Coursera existed!

It's an awesome learning resource. Interestingly, 60% of the students are non-U.S. - from all parts of the world. :smile:
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    bump