Yet another calories intake suggestion thread

Options
Hello everyone. Even though I'm not new to MFP I am new to the the message boards. I've read couple of threads about the usual questioning of how many calories should we eat and I need a little advice too.

I'm female, 26 years old in a month, I weigh 55kgs (121 lbs) and I'm 1,68m tall (66.1in). My nutritionist's scale last time measured a 16,4% fat which I find quite inaccurate, and 42,8kg of muscle mass.

I downloaded the weight loss calculators spreadsheet and putting in my measurements I got the following body fat % estimations:
21,06% U.S. Navy Circumference Method
17,87% Covert Bailey "Fit or Fat" Book Method
19,47% Average body fat % of the two or three methods

My measures if needed are:

wrist of dominate hand - minimum girth 15cm (5.9in)
forearm palm up - maximum girth 23cm (9,1in)
neck looking level - minimum girth 31cm (12.2in)
waist - minimum girth 68cm (26,9)
abdomen at navel - maximum girth 73cm (28.7in)
hips feet together - maximum girth 90cm (35.4in)
one thigh feet 2" apart - maximum girth 53cm (20.9in)
one calf - maximum girth 36cm (14.2in)

Now to my activity.
I work as a waitress. My usual work schedule is 7 days a week evening shift of 4 hours (at least 2 of which are me running up and down like crazy) and another 3 days of morning shift of 4 hours (again at least 2 hours of walking up and down in a hurry). The days which I also work morning shift I bike to work and back, which is 20-25 minutes for a distance of 6,5kms (4 miles) in a surface I would count as more or less flat.

I started running, just this week, with a plan of doing it twice a week, slow paced. I can only do it after my morning shifts and after I've biked back those 4 miles, so my resistance is really low (I'm already not a runner type) and my first time got me doing a bit less than a mile, in about 8 minutes with 2 minutes rest halfway. I'm hoping that with time my resistance will get better and I can manage to do at 20-30 minutes, but that's to see when I'll reach that point.

Other than that I work out 6 days per week, resting day every 3. I do 10-20 minutes cardio depending on the day, the 30 days squat challenge with couple of dumbbells 1,5kg each (2.2lbs), 30 day crunch challenge with a 3kg dumbbell (on a ball cause my lower back hurts on the mat), same repetitions of side crunches with the same weight, 1' plank and 30'' side planks, 10 repetitions of 10 variations of squats in 8 minutes (10 seconds of rest inbetween) with couple of dumbbells 1,5kg each, a 10 minutes booty set of 3 exercises with 0,425kgs (0.9lbs) leg weights, 8 minutes of ballet leg set of 5 exercises with 0,425kgs (0.9lbs) leg weights and a booty 30 day challenge workout that started off with 10 minutes daily and now it's 20 minutes since I'm halfway. I've also ordered the MJ 30 day shred that should arrive next week and I'll add this to my plan, hopefully without needing to rule out something else due to my restricted free time. Also I started those exercises with bodyweight and got up to that, and I'm planning to go to the next weight step as soon as I get strong enough.

To the calories point.
The spreadsheet gives me a BMR of 1327, a TDEE of 2704 and a daily eating goal of 2335 calories based on a 14% deficit. My goals are to lose some more weight (fat mass and inches) and get more toned and defined, mostly in my lower body. My abdominal area is already changed visibly in about 20 days of working out (even though it's the beginning) but I find it harder to see change in my thighs/booty but I suppose it's too soon. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and I know I need to lose the fat layer to make definition possible and that's why I want to make sure I eat the right amount, not too low or too high.

So my question is, isn't 2335 calories a bit too much to see a change? Initially I did a strict diet for couple of months and my caloric intake was quite low and fat was almost non existent in my food, I lost 5-6kgs, but then as I started working I ate poorly. I maintained my new weight but I felt bloated and bad. I fixed my diet and feel much better, started off with 1200 kcals plans that I now try to keep at 1600, but I have no idea if that is good or if I should go higher.

I'm pretty sure I provided a lot of information that's probably not needed, but I'm making sure everything you need to know is here.

If you have suggestions for me I'd be very happy and I'm thankful for your time.

Replies

• narcissa87
    narcissa87 Posts: 19
    Options
    No one? >.<
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What is the question???
  • narcissa87
    Options
    Damn my post is confusing and overloaded.

My question is should I really eat 2335 calories per day with the kind of activity that I do in order to lose some more body fat and get definition? It looks like a really big number to me and I'm not sure of what I burn because I don't have any HRM.
  • ebscrebs
    ebscrebs Posts: 17
    Options
    At 5'6 and 121 lbs, I'd say you're really at the low end. Your body fat is quite low as well if the lower measurements are correct. What body fat percentage do you want to achieve?
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I didn't really read the whole post. But I think my recommendation is to cut all the cardio outside your bike to work, and start lifting heavy.
  • narcissa87
    Options
    I don't have a precise number as a goal, I just want my body and mostly thighs to be more defined and toned and I'm quite sure there is still some fat layer that needs to go away for that to happen.

About lifting heavy, it would require me to go to the gym, and for now with my work and all I find it easier to work out at home, I can manage time better. Am I not gonna have the kind of results I'd like that way? I've started using dumbbells progressively, on my 20th day I use 10 and 6 pounds ones.I know it's low.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I "lift heavy" at the playground.

You don't need a gym.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    How do you lift heavy at the playground? I'd like to do more lifting too but find it much harder to get to the gym then getting outside to the track every day.
  • narcissa87
    Options
    Don't you need heavy weights to "lift heavy"? That's why a gym is needed since I don't have that kind of equipment.

So anyone can tell me if my calories should be that high? Today I started to bring them to 1800.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I just found a barbell with plates up to 25# at a garage sale for $20. Try finding them used.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    How do you lift heavy at the playground? I'd like to do more lifting too but find it much harder to get to the gym then getting outside to the track every day.

How many proper pull-ups can you do? Dips are too easy? Muscle ups boring you? Fed up with pistols?

I use a TRX because so many of the bodyweight moves with just the bars are too advanced for me.

If you fail with less than 10 reps, you're lifting heavy.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    True - I cannot do a pull up - I am working on upping my push ups and can only do so many tricep dips - so I guess I have lots of work to do!