Why do people keep their scales in the bathroom?

Options
I read this question in someone's profile and it got me asking the same thing.

Why not the kitchen - where it might be an effective deterrent as one grabs for the Doritos and cookies?
Why not the living room - where game consoles, computers and TV sets invite bum-iness? Isn't placing the scale in the same area as the couch potato equal opportunity?

A carpenter doesn't hide his tape-measure. Why do dieters hide the scale?

Replies

• sydoe94
    sydoe94 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So I can weigh myself naked first thing in the morning right before I take a shower.

But I get your point. It might be useful to have motivation in the kitchen. I know that my weight fluctuates a lot during the day based on how much water I've drunk, what I'm wearing, etc, so it might be more meaningful for me to have inspiring pictures and quotes in the kitchen instead. But whatever works for you. :)
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    We do keep ours in the kitchen but my official weigh in scale is my Nintendo Wii
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    ditto, I weigh myself in the morning after I've been to the loo, and the bathroom's next door :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Because it's more comfortable than up their butt like I advise.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Because you weigh naked after using the can, of course. Convenience, not "hiding".
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Also ... kitchen is a high traffic area. No one needs to be clunking into a scale that's doesn't need to be there.

Can you imagine the posts if people had their scales in the kitchen & weighed themselves after every meal???

OdHJDOS.gif

Lmao
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A carpenter normally has a secure place to store a tape measure when it's not in use. Normally, carpenters don't go around screaming to everyone "HEY. I'M A CARPENTER. LOOK AT MY TAPE MEASURE"

designall.dll?rlvnet=1&realview=113376009172340101&design=72f10baa-f9bf-4866-8a83-f52f43a498db&style=value_tshirt&size=a_l&color=white&pending=false&pdt=zazzle_shirt&max_dim=512
    Or maybe they do...
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My scale is in the kitchen! I keep it underneath an arm chair in there. I live in a really old place with uneven floors, and that particular spot in the kitchen (if I pull the scale straight out) happens to be the most consistent and even spot in the house. I don't mind getting naked in the kitchen first thing in the morning! :drinker:
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters... because I weigh myself first thing in the morning, naked and the number that appears is personal... unless I chose to share it with someone.

But think about it... there are those people (me) who have OCD's where if they moved the scale to the kitchen they would find them self hopping on the scale before every meal and if they gained a pound would not eat... yes I know *warning... eating disorder*! Yet, many people deal with eating disorders every day and moving the scale to the kitchen would just feed the eating disorder.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the bedroom. I have a Fitbit Aria and they can be skewed by high humidity. Plus my kids were on it all the time.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ha. Some of these replies made me laugh.

For the record I don't own a scale and am not suggesting people should be weighing themselves naked in the kitchen. Can you imagine all the poor traumatized children?
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My bathroom is really small so I keep my scale under the TV stand in the living room on top of the Wii fit board which is no longer working.
  • Antof9
    Antof9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What she said! Plus, I don't want extra junk in the kitchen :)
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in the kitchen and weigh my self buck nakid every morning. Live a little folks!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: