Yes, you really need 8 glasses of water a day

Options
I am a firm believer in drinking water but my daughter hates water and has to flavor hers. There is an excellent article in today's paper titled Yes, you really need 8 glasses of water a day. It is a Q & A segment. Maybe this will be a little incentive for my daughter and anyone else who doesn't care for water. One of the thing it states is that drinking and showering in healthy water is the single most important thing you can do to improve your health. Also, if you don't drink enough water, your body will develop a pattern of storing water, which equal unwanted weight. It can also hide any real weight loss results. Plus....by increasing fluids you flush out toxins and teach your body that it no longer needs to store water. Hope Katie reads this! :wink:

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    If your daughter is anything like me, she can read things about water until she is blue in the face and nothing will change. I dont like water and I dont drink much of it. I have tried and it lasts about 2-3 days, never any longer. I really do wish I could drink more but it just never happends no matter what I try.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I drink 8+ glasses of water a day and it shows in my complexion! Water is the best thing for your skin!
  • emmaj35
    emmaj35 Posts: 26
    Options
    I must admit I am not keen but see it as helping towards good skin and helping flush out my system.:grumble:
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    I drink 8+ glasses of water a day and it shows in my complexion! Water is the best thing for your skin!

I SO agree! I've been consistently drinking 8+ glasses per day and my skin is clearing right up! :)
  • aaliyahbellydancer
    Options
    i find it easier to drink water in summer

i know all the reasons i should drink all that water and know they are true i just find it difficult to get through that much water
  • fluffygdog95
    Options
    That is so strange. I usually drink around 15 glasses of water a day. I have never found it to be an issue.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I drink 12-15 glasses a day.....only occasionally flavored. I have the best skin out of anyone I know!

However when I get lazy (aka in the past went off my diet) and stopped drinking water it sure was hard to get back into the habit of it. I actually don't like water, but I know it's good for me.....but now that I've been guzzling it for 7+ months I need it and really miss it when I dont' drink so much.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    im not a big water drinker but im working on it. if i add lemon then i can suck it down no problem!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a firm believer in drinking water, but I have to admit, I don't really like just plain old water :grumble:

I drink at least one 2L bottle of water a day, I think that counts for 8 cups. What I do is I have these Acerola drinks here, small cans, only 190 ml, and each can has 68 calories, IIRC. I drink about 400ml of the water from the big bottle then I put in the two cans of Acerola juice (it is 100% juice, no sugar added) and I get my water as well as lots of vitamin C and other stuff too.

Doing this, I have no problem getting my 2L of water down. I also drink Mugicha, which is a roasted wheat tea, and that morning cup of Joe! :bigsmile:
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    That is so strange. I usually drink around 15 glasses of water a day. I have never found it to be an issue.
    This. I have a 16oz mug at work. Any time I go to the bathroom, I fill it up at the drinking fountain on my way back to my desk. During lunch, I fill it up twice (since I normally try to drink a lot while eating). At home, I have an old 1L Pepsi bottle that I keep refilling. I drink 2 - 4 of those before I go to bed.

I've gotten so used to it that I feel weird if a glass of water isn't within arms reach.
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    I agree that it helps with the complexion! Every morning my husband and I start the day off with a 20 oz glass of water with organic lemon juice in it. The lemon seems to help flush the toxins too.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    While I LOVE water and drink plenty because I personally feel better when I do, to play devil's advocate here, there are plenty of articles out there refuting any real "need" for us to drink 8 CUPS (not glasses, by the way) of water each day. This includes articles backed by research like this one:
    http://www.livescience.com/health/080403-water-intake.html

This particular article reckons there is "no clear evidence of benefit to increasing water intake. On the other hand, no clear evidence exists of a lack of benefit. There is simply a lack of evidence in general." :tongue:
    So, there you have it (or not).
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    Yeah, I know, opposition in all things, For me it has so many benefits. There are days I don't and I feel sluggish. I have Dr. Oz books and it tells how it helps with the memory...At 53 that is a big Thing :happy: