'I have obesity'

13»

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Lol 1st world problems. Everything is a disease or caused by something...Not YOU making a conscious decision. Nope. Never.
  • startheory
    startheory Posts: 63
    I would say 99.99% of the time its an addiction to food. I have yet to meet an obese person who did not overeat.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    I became very obese without being addicted to food, and maybe I really am extremely unusual, but it's hard for me to believe. My eating would have appeared perfectly normal (healthy, home-cooked food, average portions, often didn't finish food, etc.) and my calories were under the average for women, but my TDEE was lower. No addiction, just the same healthy attitude to food that I had when I was younger and naturally slim. I don't know what changed, but I imagine a lot of it was just to do with aging and body changing. It's very, very common for people to steadily put on weight in middle-age. It IS overeating in the sense of eating more than you need, but not addiction.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    it is categorized as a disease now
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    1m obese but i can cure it my self...................... LOL :)
    diet and exercise
    8 more pounds and ill be out of obese and into overweight category
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    I get that people have various reasons for being overweight (esp in cases of childhood obesity) but this is someone who is refusing to accept any fault for the fact that is/was overweight.

He ate too much, didn't exercise enough... maybe he even has a medical condition that makes it difficult to lose weight but to claim it was some disease, like cancer, that he has little/no control over is a cop out.

This is just an excuse.
  • I see the point though.

There are research articles stating that even years after losing a lot of weight, a formerly obese person's brain still behaves like before, and it takes a lot of effort and willpower not to pile on the pounds and end up back at square one. Like being a recovered alcoholic...you're only one pint away from where you started.

In that sense it is almost like a disease of the mind.

People have done studies into leptin receptors (which control satiety in the brain) and these are also disordered in many obese people so that they do not feel full after eating 'normal' amounts of food. Their stomachs are also larger (usually to accommodate the years of overeating) so they don't get that stretch which again releases hormones to signal satiety.

Also, a lot of obese and overweight people lose lean body mass when they diet, so when they are smaller, their energy requirements are lower than would be for a person of a similar size and activity level who was never overweight.
    The studies say that the best ways to combat these tendencies are regular vigorous exercise and weigh-ins.

Don't get me started on our obesogenic environment and lifestyles of convenience, with readily available and affordable calorie-dense, addictive food with little nutritional value.

These are not excuses, just the reality of the situation.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    I see the point though.

There are research articles stating that even years after losing a lot of weight, a formerly obese person's brain still behaves like before, and it takes a lot of effort and willpower not to pile on the pounds and end up back at square one. Like being a recovered alcoholic...you're only one pint away from where you started.

People have done studies into leptin receptors (which control satiety in the brain) and these are also disordered in many obese people so that they do not feel full after eating 'normal' amounts of food. Their stomachs are also larger (usually to accommodate the years of overeating) so they don't get that stretch which again releases hormones to signal satiety.

Also, a lot of obese and overweight people lose lean body mass when they diet, so when they are smaller, their energy requirements are lower than would be for a person of a similar size and activity level who was never overweight.
    The studies say that the best ways to combat these tendencies are regular vigorous exercise and weigh-ins.

Don't get me started on our obesogenic environment and lifestyles of convenience, with readily available and affordable calorie-dense, addictive food with little nutritional value.

high calorie deficits + cardio = muscle loss and skinny fat syndrome

the solution is NOT vigorous cardio exercise (my inference of your meaning) and weigh-ins. the solution is eating sufficient amounts of protein (meeting or exceeding the 0.85g/lb LBM recommendation) and lifting heavy weights. in addition, trying to keep your calorie deficit as moderate as possible is advisable.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Oooo my favorite post where I get to enlighten and educate. I dint read the post so I'm going off assumption. First I have obesity too in fact my brain and body either through genetics environment or both will always be hard wired for obesity. Whatever I do I will always have hungry fat cells ready to expand and multiply I will have to manage this disease for the rest of my life or I face serious comorbidities and a shortened life span. It is very much a disease of epidemic world wide proportions and many educated individuals including the AMA can not find a direct cause. Some say there could be a genetic or even maternal propensity. There's even studies suggesting viral. It could be a change in environment combined with our natural survival instincts. When a person has a certain obesity combined with metabolic syndrome it can change your whole physiology including your genes. It changes the hormones released in your stomach and brains. It affects your whole body obesity makes you ill. It even affects a persons social standing. So I have chosen the happy route to accept my disease and addiction and manage it with diet exercise and meds and psych work for the rest of my life or it will kill me.

Ps by accepting this attitude it has normalized my body enough to become healthy for pregnancy. I hope I've shined a little light onto you world and expanded your thoughts. I offer this free of charge. Have a fabulous day filled with health :heart:
  • I see the point though.

the solution is NOT vigorous cardio exercise (my inference of your meaning) and weigh-ins. the solution is eating sufficient amounts of protein (meeting or exceeding the 0.85g/lb LBM recommendation) and lifting heavy weights. in addition, trying to keep your calorie deficit as moderate as possible is advisable.
    The studies never specified whether they (successful dieters) did cardio or weights. However, these people weighed in daily on average. I'm not necessarily advocating that, just saying what was found. I weigh myself monthly at the most; and I do both cardio and weights as no one can convince me that either is superior. The main advantage of cardio is its accessibility - all you need is a pair of trainers and you're good to go. Unfortunately the weights room at the gym still frightens a lot of people (especially women) away.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    I see the point though.

The studies never specified whether they (successful dieters) did cardio or weights. However, these people weighed in daily on average. I'm not necessarily advocating that, just saying what was found. I weigh myself monthly at the most; and I do both cardio and weights as no one can convince me that either is superior. The main advantage of cardio is its accessibility - all you need is a pair of trainers and you're good to go. Unfortunately the weights room at the gym still frightens a lot of people (especially women) away.

cardio won't really do anything to preserve muscle mass.

that's why we have so many skinny fat Success Stories on here... people eating 800-1200 calories a day and doing nothing but running 5 miles a day as their exercise. it's a trap for them, but they get so fixated on the number on the scale, they never realize just how much muscle mass they are losing until it's too late.

it's good that you're doing strength training.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Here is an easy way to tell if you have a disease of obesity or just poor choices. (eating and activity-wise) -

for one week, change your habits - eat right, and/or exercise.

In that week, dont eat your usual food that may have gotten you fat - i.e. cheeseburgers, pizza, fried chicken, eating for comfort or stress or other emotional reasons other than hunger.

then see if you've changed in any way on day 8. then you might be able to figure out if thats what you have or what you DO.