Fruits?? HELP!!

Options
Is it okay not to log fruits on to my food diary on MFP
Do the calories in fruit count?( i'm talking oranges, apples, bananas etc here)
Will eating fruits decrease my weight loss because they are making me go over my calories limits??

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Of course they count, unless you know a 0 calorie fruit I'm not aware of.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    No it s not ok
    you ate them
    they are calories
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why would fruit calories not count?
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    Log them for sure - they're still calorific. But ignore the fact that they'll take you over your sugar level... it's a different kind of sugar to the white stuff people are heaping into their teas and desserts ;)

I eat 2 - 4 portions of fruit a day... I log them and end up 2 times (or more) over my sugar level... but I've not gained a pound yet so I figure it must be okay :p
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Plus, they are full of sugar! I love fruit and need to cut back because of their sugar content.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Log them for their calories, they sure DO count. Ignore them for your sugars unless you are diabetic.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Plus, they are full of sugar! I love fruit and need to cut back because of their sugar content.
    unless you have a medical condition the sugar in fruit is fine. It's processed sugar you need to avoid

Anything that has calories log its as simple as that. Calories counting will only work if you count all the calories
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Every calorie counts. Your body will keep an accurate record of each even if you don't. And then you'll wonder why you're not losing. If you eat it, log it. :smile:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Anything with calories counts towards your calorie goal. Unless you have a diagnosed medical need to track your sugar intake, don't worry about tracking the sugar content of fruit. They are ridiculously good sources of macro and micronutrients. Eat them, but like everything else, watch your total calorie intake, and your rate of loss should be fine.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/369750-fruit-sugar-weight-loss/

At least three of the references are peer reviewed journals.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Do the calories in fruit count?

tumblr_lfm5b0esis1qfzkwzo1_500.jpg
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Fruits are food. Food goes in your food diary. Period.

Like everyone else said, the sugars in fruits are not the processed sugar that is in candy and cookies so it's not something to be avoided. Also, fruits contain a variety of vitamins so they are a wonderful addition to a day's intake. And they also contain a good bit of fiber... fiber that is necessary for proper digestion. Good stuff, fruit. Eat it, log it, know you're doing something good for your body.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yep. Calories count if you're counting calories.

ETA: Even if you're not counting, they still count. It's really not debatable.
  • pan0ramic
    pan0ramic Posts: 16
    Options
    To those confused by the question, I believe it is because Weight Watchers allows unlimited fruit and veggies. (That's what I hear anyways...)
  • RoseBlossom29
    RoseBlossom29 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks. that really helped (:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Don't mix and match programs -- WW makes up for not tracking fruits in other places.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/369750-fruit-sugar-weight-loss/

At least three of the references are peer reviewed journals.

Reference 1: Fitness website.
    Reference 2: Doctor's website.
    Reference 3: Has nothing to do with diet, deals solely with the chemical differences. Also not a peer-reviewed publication.
    Reference 4: Is a study on the progression of chronic kidney disease on a diet of 60% fructose. So yeah, it might be a good idea not to eat 60% fructose.
    Reference 5: Also not a peer-reviewed paper. It's a press release that doesn't give links to the original studies, but what it was studying was rats given water sweetened with HFCS or sucrose.

Please note that neither of the two that ARE papers showed issues with eating fruit. They showed issues specifically with a high-fructose diet (good luck hitting 60% fructose unless you live solely on soda) where the fructose was given in liquid form. The amount of fruit needed to hit the quantities of fructose those poor rats got would be unreal.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i've not read all replies so sorry if i repeat.

DO TAKE NOTE OF THE SUGARS!!! fructose is the sugar naturally found in fruit, which is great, however, it is still a sugar and should be treated with respect.

eat a hole punnet of grapes for instance thats around 1500 calories, mostly from sugar. you should have 6 grapes maximum.

everything has a portion, it's worth knowing what that portion is so that you don't overeat. Fruits should be eaten in as many varieties as possible but small portions of each, so child or snack sized bananas (as they're being marketed as now) are great.

Don't stop eating them, just don't overeat them thinking they're not going to affect your calorie count as much as a small slice of cake.
    it's worth looking online for the nutritional data on your favourite fruits and veg and working them into your diet in proper portions (and by diet i mean what you eat on a daily basis for the rest of your life, not the once i've lost the weight i'll start eating junk again variation of the term).

you should up your veg content rather than your fruit content, keep fruit to one or two portions a day and research the veg you eat and find out if there are better alternatives, i.e. celeriac, squash or swede instead of potatoes (potatoes aren't the nutritionally dense and not that tasty unless roasted, or cauliflower instead of rice, courgette instead of pasta. There's loads you can substitute that you will barely notice the difference in prep, cooking, taste and texture.

the good thing about being on a diet, is researching all the different foods and checking out different ways of eating, vegetarian, low carb, diabetic diets for new ideas on old favourites. most don't take any more time to prep and taste just as good and are better for you 9 times out of 10.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    i've not read all replies so sorry if i repeat.

DO TAKE NOTE OF THE SUGARS!!! fructose is the sugar naturally found in fruit, which is great, however, it is still a sugar and should be treated with respect.

eat a hole punnet of grapes for instance thats around 1500 calories, mostly from sugar. you should have 6 grapes maximum.

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, sugar doesn't really matter in terms of weight loss. There are some people that have a medical reason to keep their sugars at a certain amount... everyone else doesn't need to freak out for being over.

I don't understand why one should only have 6 grapes max. Provided you are under your TDEE, eat as much fruit as you want (of course assuming you are also getting other required nutrients).

OP, count fruit. Anything that has calories should be counted. Fruit can make you fat if you eat 3000 calories of it a day when your TDEE is only 2000 for example. Fruit is incredibly healthy and should be consumed... it should also be counted in your calories. I regularly consume around 600 calories worth of fruit a day... that would stop me from losing if I didn't account for it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

Wut?

I think there are more grapes than that in a once ounce serving of grape jelly, and way more than that in my glass of wine.

OP, fruit is good for you. Make it fit into your daily goals. Log it and move on. The sugar in fruit is not bad for you if you are a normal healthy person. Eating the whole fruit is best, not juices (which are concentrates and don't give you the added benefit of the fiber in whole fruit.)

Unless wine.