First NSV in a LONG TIME for me....

Options
raven617
raven617 Posts: 9 Member
Ok so just to give you a little background....I have a really bad tendency to overeat and find excuses for over eating, I can pretty much find a reason in any situation to not only eat but over eat....now onto my NSV
Today I was within my calories and I was pretty happy about that, then after dinner my husband wanted a piece of the pie we had in the freezer, and of course....I had a piece cut and was eating it before I even thought about calories, but then my husband asked how I was with my calories today and I thought "well crap!, then I thought oh well I am already over for the day I could have a second piece and maybe even a drink...." I realized that I was making an excuse AGAIN, so when I went into the kitchen I did NOT get another slice and I put the pie away and did NOT get that drink, and the slice of pie I did have was a normal slice, 1 serving! So for me this was an NSV because I realized what I was doing and controlled myself! It may not seem like much but its a step in the right direction for me and I have to start somewhere.

Replies

• xjeanie
    xjeanie Posts: 69
    Options
    Yay!!!

Teach me your control!!
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Believe me, I know what a HUGE deal it is, to consciously be aware of what you are doing and to be able to STOP!!! Great work!! :flowerforyou:
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Each time it will get a bit easier!
  • DragonSpark
    Options
    Amazing self control! I also have a problem with "I'm over anyway so might as well..." Glad to hear other people are concurring it!
  • Autazell
    Autazell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good job! I remember the first few weeks of dieting I would find myself eating things without even realizing I was doing it. If I got something out of the fridge and was cooking or if something was on the counter I would just pop a small handful into my mouth. I finally realized what I was doing and would stop chewing and spit it into the garbage. So much of our success is just breaking those old habits. Congrats on your NSF it's a big one.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! being *aware* and being *in control* - this is a great NSV!
  • raven617
    raven617 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel so much better knowing that there are other people who understand how hard it can be!
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I understand the mindless eating. It's not that you don't know you're eating, but it fails to register the caloric impact of what you're eating. I find I get myself into trouble when I'm out and about, eating at parties, etc. Planning is the key for me regardless of how much of an annoyance it is. I can stay within my calories if I do a bit of pre-planning of meals rather than what I've been doing more recently and that is winging it all day and get to 3pm and i have 200 calories left. :/ It's a learning process...
  • NicoleMGetsFit
    NicoleMGetsFit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It was such a break through for me to get through the emotional barrier of 'oh well I f*cked up anyway!'
    Also- I'm so glad people have said about catching themselves eating, I have younger siblings (much younger, 2 and 4) and always caught myself finishing off their food or having a little bit of their treats.
    -Once over Easter I got fed up, got in my work out gear and prepped my 30DS video and then walked downstairs, into the kitchen and grabbed a piece of one of their Easter Eggs....I had a sudden realization that I was munching on a couple hundred of calories worth of chocolate in my sports bra and leggings!
    Good luck with the rest of your journey xxx
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well done :)

I've done a lot of binge eating in my time, as well as the ol' "oh well, I've eaten X now, I might as well eat Y and start again tomorrow/Monday/the start of next month" and I had a breakthrough a couple of months ago. I felt like a packet of Twisties (sort of like Cheetos but not) and I bought a pack and ate them. And that was it. It wasn't a big deal. And they weren't accompanied by a million other "bad" things (once upon a time the Twisties would have been just a small part of a 2000+ calorie binge) and I didn't feel guilty. I was eating them to enjoy them, not to quench some emotional thirst. I hope you enjoyed your pie :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!