Any perimenopausal 40 year old women trying to lose weight?

Options
I've just joined MFP and am wondering if there are others out there who are finding it more
Difficult to lose weight because they are experiencing early menopause symptoms
in their 40s which is messing around with their attempts to lose weight. Not only am I going through early stage menopause but I'm taking care of young children who are draining me of the energy I need to take care of myself. I also want to know if anyone out there is struggling to
get rid of excess water retention. Feeling really tired and really discouraged even before I've started but do not want to be dumpy and unhealthy anymore- especially for my children who need me around and are becoming conscious of who is a "yummy mummy" and who isn't , and as far as my older child is concerned, I'm in the latter category :(
Thanks for any insights and tips.

Replies

• WendyRenaud
    WendyRenaud Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 47, in peri-menopause, with lots of water retention. Happens every summer, but this one has my feet feeling like bricks! I have been walking and drinking over 120 oz of water a day - and in the last week lost 4 pounds of water weight. I add lemon juice, cucumber slices or a dash of pedialyte to the water to make it tolerable. I have been limiting my sodium to under 1500 mg per day - and it seems like it might be helping. Have you found anything to help yet?:happy:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you can take Yasmin, it will probably eliminate your water retention problems. The downside is the risk of blood clots.

Just a thought: the concept that you need to be a "yummy mummy" shows how profoundly our culture has degraded the value of motherhood. Be hot for yourself, and/or for your partner. Your kids should just be glad you gave your body and soul to have them.
  • Basinka123
    Basinka123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I haven't really felt much change whenI've cut sodium. I hate drinking water so I have to say that I should try what you've done and throw water in. I so relate to your feeling like bricks; my whole body feels like sponge. I've looked online for alternatives but aside from treating perimenopause symptoms not much seems to be helpful to kick- starting my very sluggish hormonally wacked body these days. It doesn't help that I also go through mental dips in mood which seems to only dissipate when I'm eating to medicate myself. Wish I could offer more tips to you. Hang in there- definitely NOT been the fabulous 40s for me :(
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I am in that group I think! at 43 I get a lot of water retention and the weight ain't going off like it used to!! But I still live in hope lol. fortunately for me, I had my kids young so not having to look after little ones!
  • emilyahartmann
    emilyahartmann Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    40+ here and yes indeed shedding weight is so much harder than before! Walking helps me clear my head and shake off feeling like a slug...I try to keep water with me all day long and watch my sodium....I have dropped about 25 pounds which is great but has taken me a lot longer than expected....I just try to be kind to my body and know it will get there just on it's own time with encouragement :)
  • Basinka123
    Options
    Thanks lithezebra for the tip. Not sure I will go Yasmin route but will try to remember the value of a mother's body even when our society doesn't - at least in media it doesn't.
  • Basinka123
    Options
    Yes, looking after little ones and going through early menopause actually sucks. Of course I adore my children, but losing weight while going through all of these motherhood and menopause changes is challenging to say the least.
  • Basinka123
    Options
    Thanks for your insights. It's encouraging to see women in perimenopause CAN lose weight- just more slowly than before.
  • WendyRenaud
    Options
    So nice to read - I'm not the only one struggling with these issues!! :smile: I had my kids early also, youngest just graduated college! Cannot imagine raising kids and coping with these hormonal issues, water retention, mood swings, etc. Having a support system REALLY helps!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend and see what I do !!! I am 49 and going thru perimenopause also. I workout 6 days a week and eat a pretty clean diet, I follow a low sodium, no diary, no white sugar,flour,bread ect.. High protein, complex carbs, healthy fats, green veggies.. I eat 5 meals a day with 2 protein shakes. I also do bio-indentials, which has progesterone, testosterone, trace amount of estrogen..apply daily on my arm, this is by prescription only..
  • Basinka123
    Options
    You are so right WendyRenaud about a support group! Unfortunately I seem to be in the unique category of, as was expertly termed in a book title, "warm bottles and hot flashes". I have no support group for this. Either my friends are in their 40s with older children and aren't obese or they are in their 40s with younger children but aren't perimenopausal. Sigh.
  • WendyRenaud
    Options
    Basinka123, I have a support group I joined on Facebook called Steps to Good Health. They really help motivate me and keep me encouraged even on rough days, like today. Check them out if you are on Facebook. :) My family is being supportive this time with my weight and health goals..... they are not sabotaging me like they used to. So hoping this time it sticks and I can get some of these health issues under control. I've been reading that exercise will help with the Peri-menopausal symptoms and with the water retention.