How to save calories without netting under 1200? Help pls*

Options
Hi
There may b an obvious answer to this however I don't seem to be able to grasp it.
So I have a body media fit.
Average day tdee is 1850 (no exercise)
So my calorie intake target is 1350 for 1lb loss.

If I exercise and burn say 350 calories to save for the weekend I net 1000. (Eating 1350)

If I have to net 1200 I can only ever save 150 cals a day???

Am I being stupid?

Any advice would be great
Thank you

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE takes into account any exercise you should be doing.
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My tdee on a non exercise day is 1850
    Remember I'm using a body media arm band not estimating burnt calories for exercise.

Any ideas?
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    What's your bmr?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    With only 12 pounds to go, a 500 calorie deficit might be too much. With so little to lose, you'd probably be better off aiming to lose a half pound a week.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Exercise on the days you want to eat more.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    With only 12 pounds to go, a 500 calorie deficit might be too much. With so little to lose, you'd probably be better off aiming to lose a half pound a week.
    This. If I were you I'd just eat my goal TDEE (with exercise included of course).
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Yep very good advice.
  • toshie333
    Options
    My bmr works out at 1330 which is what my intake I
    Happens to be set at due to tdee-1lb loss.

I am going to eat 1350 but then if I exercise and it increases my tdee for that day I then net under 1200....
    How do I save some for the weekend without netting under 1200.
    If I set to a smaller defecit I'm
    Guessing that's my answer??

Thanks for help In advance.
  • toshie333
    Options
    This. If I were you I'd just eat my goal TDEE (with exercise included of course).

The only prob with this is defeats the purpose of using body media fit and just use an online calculator.
    As long as I'm
    Eating over my bmr, is it going to have negative impact netting under 1200. Remember I will b having a few higher days at weekend etc.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    if you only have 12lbs to lose (per your ticker) you should be set to lose 0.5lb (1600) or even maintain (so 1850) at sedentary, your exercise will help you to get shape/ lose the weight to goal
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    just a heads up on the Body Media i HAD one had that is as i sent it back when i would workout i found it to show my calorie burn to be very low so i went and got a HRM and used them both for a week the BM it's not accurate. The HRM would show i would burn way more calories than what the BM said. one example i would run for 30 minutes and run 5 MPH and on my HRM i would burn 310 calories the tread mill was 315 and the BM was 160 and it was always was out in spin class also
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only prob with this is defeats the purpose of using body media fit and just use an online calculator.
    As long as I'm
    Eating over my bmr, is it going to have negative impact netting under 1200. Remember I will b having a few higher days at weekend etc.

Aim for ~1600 instead of 1350. If you come up a little short, say 1400 or 1500 a couple times a week, there's your extra calories to put towards weekend splurges. Having a deficit of 250 calories instead of 500 calories will give you more wiggle room.
  • CoderGal
    Options

As long as I'm
    I can think of many examples but why make a thread asking how not to net under 1200 while trying to convince people who reply with suggestions that you should be netting under 1200? Nourishment. Embrace it. Food, it's energy and fuel, it is not bad for you.

If it makes you feel better, I'm eating significantly over that and still losing weight, and I'm nearly underweight.
  • toshie333
    Options

As long as I'm
    I can think of many examples but why make a thread asking how not to net under 1200 while trying to convince people who reply with suggestions that you should be netting under 1200? Nourishment. Embrace it. Food, it's energy and fuel, it is not bad for you.

If it makes you feel better, I'm eating significantly over that and still losing weight, and I'm nearly underweight.

Are we really going to have this conversation?
    Replies like this are a waste of time. It's a discussion forum hence discussion. Ppl have views and questions so don't get defensive when people ask questions.
    Dont mean to sound rude but Just see it so often. You may be losing weight but you may have diff stats.
    Anyway thanks to the ppl who offered genuine advice.
    Good to know ppls thoughts.
  • toshie333
    Options
    As long as I'm

Aim for ~1600 instead of 1350. If you come up a little short, say 1400 or 1500 a couple times a week, there's your extra calories to put towards weekend splurges. Having a deficit of 250 calories instead of 500 calories will give you more wiggle room.

Fair point maybe my deficit is too big. ESP if I'm running I guess. Will look at those figures and maybe try for a month.
    Thank you
  • toshie333
    Options
    just a heads up on the Body Media i HAD one had that is as i sent it back when i would workout i found it to show my calorie burn to be very low so i went and got a HRM and used them both for a week the BM it's not accurate. The HRM would show i would burn way more calories than what the BM said. one example i would run for 30 minutes and run 5 MPH and on my HRM i would burn 310 calories the tread mill was 315 and the BM was 160 and it was always was out in spin class also

Hi
    Ah ok good to know. I know spin class they recon to wear on calf .... Sounds strange but get why.
    I guess it's better under calculating than over?? Will certainly be aware. I think I did a 30 min run fri and burned 330 so sounds roughly ok but will check out the data over next few weeks.
    Thank you
  • CoderGal
    Options

As long as I'm

Are we really going to have this conversation?
    Replies like this are a waste of time. It's a discussion forum hence discussion. Ppl have views and questions so don't get defensive when people ask questions.
    Dont mean to sound rude but Just see it so often. You may be losing weight but you may have diff stats.
    Anyway thanks to the ppl who offered genuine advice.
    Good to know ppls thoughts.
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound defensive. And I can see rereading it how my response would and why you are now coming off as defensive. I just didn't want to spend time giving examples before I asked that question to see why you asked. Considering as you likely know if you're on the forums, many will come on with no intention whatsoever to get advice even if the advice is proven beyond a doubt and there's 50 pages of proof from various people and sources trying to convince them. Didn't want to waist my time. But the answer is yes, it can be harmful. I suffered the bad side effects. And many people (of different stats) have had the same outcome. Several I know personally. You may be one of those people who by luck it doesn't effect. Either way, gluck whatever your decision is.