What kind of bread do you eat?

Options

Replies

• Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own Double fiber whole wheat!! 5 grams of fiber per slice and only 50 calories a slice!! Is tasty!! :love:
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Harrys wholewheat or I just drop by a French bakery at the corner of my street and buy baguette a l'ancien (yummy!). Wraps work for me too - I know, I know, not bread. Having said that, I seriously limited my intake of bread (didn't wipe it out but indeed limited) in order to make my weight loss work.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Anything that is NOT white.

I also look at all the additives on the back of the package... if I can't pronouce it and there are more then 5 ingredients, I put it back. I generally try to go to a bakery and get fresh whole wheat or multigrain bread.

^ This. I stopped buying bromated flour bread. Not to mention all the mold inhibitors, and softening agents and HFCS. Yuck. I buy either zingerman's or the Kroger artisan breads--which both have 5 or less ingredients.
  • stevey192
    stevey192 Posts: 2
    Options
    I opt for Rye bread which is rich in fibre and has a great shelf life. I am trying to limit my carbs and dont tend to eat bread everyday so Rye gives me what i need.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    for sandwiches and such I like the Sandwich thins buns...110 calories for the whole wheat ones, and they taste good. For toast I prefer a heartier bread, and don't pay any attention to calories if I'm only having one slice. If I'm feeling rich I'll buy some from the local bread bakery....everything they make is delish.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I eat Flat Out flat breads like they're going out of style.

Me too!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel Bread!

I concur!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee 45 Calories per slice. It is decent and I feel like I get a whole sandwich w/o the calories. :)

I love this to! It was the first 100% multigrain that I actually enjoyed eating. I had wheat bread ruined for me as a kid, and I really, really can't bake my own, but this stuff tastes great to me. My kids like it too, and DH hasn't complained yet, so finally I have found a bread we can all eat.

I do like the Fold Its too, but ever since I noticed how much sodium was in them I've been cutting back on my wraps.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Quick answer is I try not to eat any. Long version is when I do feel the need to have bread I make it mysefl, it tastes great and has no preservatives/other crap
  • Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We eat Josephs Lavash and Pita bread here. 100 calories per huge lavash and 60 calories per pita.
  • foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options
    Dave's Killer Organic Bread! Sprouted wheat is the best (imo), it's made from ground up green wheat sprouts instead of the usual flour and water mixture. The moisture is all from the wheat sprouts, extremely tender and full of all kinds of good organic seeds! I saw how they make it at their factory, they give little tours.

Since I am on a diet (losing weight) though we have been buying Dave's Killer 70 Calorie slice Good Seed variety. I live less than 2 miles from their factory in Milwaukie, Oregon so I just go there once a week and buy a loaf directly from them for $2.50 a loaf. It's also right down the street from Bob's Red Mill where I buy all my oats, wheats and flours for home made stuff!

So I suggest Organic Dave's Killer Bread or Bob's Red MIll if you are making your own. Both are amazing in quality, freshness and flavors!
  • TheNewAdventuresofDanni
    Options
    Fiber one bread. 100 calories for TWO slices...just saying. Or squirrelly bread. Its organic/vegan and its super tastey
  • crazeedeysi
    crazeedeysi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Brownberry Multi-grain Double Fiber or Ezekiel 4:9
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Anything that is NOT white.

I also look at all the additives on the back of the package... if I can't pronouce it and there are more then 5 ingredients, I put it back. I generally try to go to a bakery and get fresh whole wheat or multigrain bread.

^ This. I stopped buying bromated flour bread. Not to mention all the mold inhibitors, and softening agents and HFCS. Yuck. I buy either zingerman's or the Kroger artisan breads--which both have 5 or less ingredients.

Flour
    Yeast
    Water
    Salt

What's the fifth ingredient?
  • nuts4elephant
    nuts4elephant Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i don't eat bread but rye bread is very good for you!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    For "around the house" bread, we use Nature's Own Whole Wheat. It's decent-tasting sliced bread for sandwiches and only 50 calories a slice.

Lately I've been thinking of making my own bread, just to see if I can*.

*I mean specifically me... I've never been good at cooking with doughs that need to rise - for some reason they never rise and the item turns out way too dense. I probably kill the yeast or something.

Sounds like your dough may be too dry and the gluten can't get flexible enough to rise properly. Check out recipes from Richard Bertinet (and also his gentle technique of kneading)

There is a lot of info on the web about bread making. Just be warned - once you start making decent bread you'll struggle to eat shop bought again!!!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I love a good Bauernbrot, which can be difficult to find here, so I settle for any chewy rye I can get.
    Here lately, I've been getting lucky at Aldi and finding the Deutsche Küche fitness breads... the really dense breads in the small rectangular package.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat Flat Out flat breads like they're going out of style.

I live for these! Now I always am sure to meet my daily fiber goal :)