At-home workouts

Options
What is your favorite routine? Any videos in particular you like best?

I had my son 3 months ago. I gained 80 pounds during my pregnancy and suffered a heart attack 2 days postpartum. I strongly believe those things are connected, and I really want to get back to my old self. However, because I had heart surgery in April, I want to hold off on going to the gym until I am more comfortable with how my heart reacts to exercise.

Replies

• sterven
    sterven Posts: 12
    Options
    I also had a heart attack recently. I'm just trying to be more active in general. I live on the second floor walking up and down the stairs. Cleaning constantly. I also rarely sit during the day. I walk all day long.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Wow-glad you are okay-and congrats;). I like Supreme 90 Day. It is a knock off off P90X, but it kicks my tail. The longest workout with a warm up is 55 minutes. You can do each exercise at an intensity you prefer. It was, like, six bucks on Amazon. Good luck:)
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just do various little exercises in front of the TV. I bought myself some light-ish weights, and do anything that's easy to fit in a small floor space, along with some bodyweight exercises. Sometimes I jog on the spot, anything to keep moving really.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I workout at home and started with jillian michaels 30 day shred. I am lucky to have a treadmill at home as well and now I use that for cardio (or jogging outside with my daughter in the jogging stroller) and I do bodyweight strength exercises using the You Are Your Own Gym app.
  • xclassiqx
    xclassiqx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try FitnessBlender on youtube.
  • mjhmjhmjh
    mjhmjhmjh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Glad you ok now. i love jillian micheals dvds, have used 30 day shred and ripped.in 30. Can your Dr not advise on the best ones for you, given your heart attack?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i like lesline sansome
    1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile, 4 mile, 5 mile walks
    they are on you t ube
    start with th e 1 mile walk
    and go from there
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Thank Goodness you're OK now. I love Supreme 90 & Jillian Michaels. However, if you want to ease into it, check out Ellen Barrett workouts. There are some on youtube. I happen to like Slim Sculpt but that's not on youtube.

(disclaimer: I tend to recommend Ellen Barrett workouts. I am not affiliated with her in any way. I just love her workouts for lighter days)
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have done 3 of Jillian's DVDs: 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and No More Trouble Zones. NMTZ is my favorite because it is more strength-oriented and therefore lower impact. That workout will still kick your butt, though! I am always dripping sweat when I'm done. I just can't take some of the jumping moves in some of her workouts in 30DS and RI30 and always modify those.

I've gotten great results. I can't believe how much more toned (and smaller) I am. I really wish I would have taken measurements before I started, especially my upper arms. Amazing.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    There are tons of great DVDs for working out at home, but make sure your doctor is aware and approves you for it.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    look up fitness blender; this couple have sooooo many free workouts and they are great---I use them all the time---they have everything from beginners through advance and different times too---I love this site ---you can also try youtube befit and find plenty workouts there from people like jillian, denise, cindy whitmarsh, old exercise tv workout ---however I do enjoy fitness blender and I would recommend that site first---do not spend any money on any video until you check out those sites--you find whatever you need there
  • ncbeachprincess
    Options
    I am doing Zumba Core for the Wii right now. I am attempting it shall I say. Most of time I get through the first 10 minutes and then my lack of coordination comes out and I just end up dancing. It sure does break a good sweat though!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Body Revolution as soon as I finish my coffee and my husband gets my sports bra from the dryer in the garage. I think I'll like it! I really like pilates and ballet videos at home. In a class, I get embarassed or can't take it too seriously because everyone's falling over or looking silly. So it's nice to be able to mess up at home and recover without people watching me.
  • brighteyes1967
    Options
    Hi there, best thing cheap and cheerful, put your baby in the pram and go for a stroll, a little further every day,gets you out of the house, baby lots of fresh air, give it a try walking is one of the best exercises I do but I walk my two year old dog.
    Good luck
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you could ask your doctor to recommend a physical therapist? I just don't feel right giving you exercise advice with your recent heart condition. I think maybe with a physical therapist, they'll be able to monitor you and get you a better idea of your progress and where you are at.
  • bcjackson888
    bcjackson888 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I want to assure you all I have already talked with my doctor about an exercise routine. Luckily, he sees no reason I wouldn't be okay because I had great results on the treadmill after my cardiac ablation. Before my surgery, my heart rate would go up as far as 278 BPM (at least that's the highest that's ever been recorded, the morning I was sent to the ICU). Since my ablation, my HR hasn't exceeded 155 BPM, and that was over 2 months ago. I'm weary because my body has gone through so much at once and I am fearful that something could happen, even if my doctor thinks I am okay. Residual fear, I'm assuming. :}

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I feel like I can definitely plan a good workout routine with the links you've all given me. Also, it's great to know there are others out there who have had similar things happen to them.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Zumba Core is lots of funand effective, like another poster said. Swimming laps is another great exercise that will give you a cardio workout plus the water provides resistance for muscle toning.

My current routine is TurboFire for cardio 6 days am week & ChaLean Extreme(CLX) for strength training 3 days a week. TurboFire is intense cardio/HIIT that really helped my cardiovascular fitness and endurance, in addition to weight loss which is my primary goal. It's like dacey kickboxing and lots of fun, plus Chalene is a super motivating instructor. There is a modifier in all the classes so you can lower the impact and still get results until your endurance increases. CLX is another one of Chalene's programs that uses heavy weights for low reps - it's effective at getting lean toned muscles (women don't bulk up like guys) and incorporates upper, lower body & movement in each exercise so it's more than endless reps of lifting.

Whatever you do, pick something you enjoy - it's so much easier to stick to a workout routine you enjoy! Congrats on your new babyand I hope your hhealth issues are behind you :)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I use the JM 30 DS and killer abs
  • r_langley80
    Options
    If you have a Wii I would recommend EA Active: Personal Trainer and EA Active: More Exercises. According to the game I burn close to 200+ per 20-25 min exercise(hard mode). I use usually try to do both games so 400-500 calories.