Bodymedia Fit Help Needed!

Options
So I got my Bodymedia Fit in the mail this week. Everything seems to be going well with it, but I am not sure if it is tracking my calories burned. It showed that I burned 3,000 calories during shipping, LOL. And I didn't wear it yesterday, since we were going swimming, and it still says I burned 2,200 calories just sitting on the kitchen counter.

What I am not doing correctly with this?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It has some default settings that it uses until it gets used to you. When you set up your account, you choose the activity level you want it to use for time off of your body. So I set mine to "inactive," which means that it calculates calorie burn as one per minute when I'm not wearing it. Despite the setting, it has learned that I'm really not inactive when I'm charging it, so it now shows up as 2 calories per minute when I'm not wearing it.

The more you wear it, the sooner it will learn about you, and the more acvurate it will be.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You are just seeing some default settings. If you go a few hours without wearing it, it sort of estimates how much you would have burned by using data it has collected while you have it on. The more you wear it, the more accurate it gets. Just make sure you fill out all your data on the website. Use it as much as possible if you want really accurate data.
  • AngryManx
    AngryManx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That's what I thought it was doing, but I was just not sure. :laugh:

What are your opinions on the default MET settings? There are these steps I take at work, 16 steps into a building, that leave me breathless (asthma) and slightly warmer than normal, temperature-wise. The Bodyfit is reading that as moderate activity. Would you agree?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Stairs are like strength training; you're not going to see a big calorie burn doing either, no matter how hard it is. It's the cardio that gets you into vigorous territory--running, cycling (put the Fit on your calf instead of your arm), and things like jumping jacks.