Burn 500 calories a day

Options
Quote "You need to burn 3500 more calories than you take in to lose one pound. You can do this by exercising, dieting, or a combination of both. The easiest way to break this down is to think of it on a daily basis. You need to burn 500 more calories than you eat each day."

So that's it, I am on theh 500 calories a day attempt. Me and hubby-to-be took the dogs for a long walk earlier but it only totally 300 and something so I jumped on the exercise bike for 15 mins and hey presto, i got to my goal.

Anyone want to join me?

Replies

• pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The goal being, to burn 500 calories and maintain 1200 calories a day?

I am fairly new and have not been a part of a group, I wouldn't mind the encouragement, I just want to be sure I understand what I'm agreeing to :)
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's up to you if you want to maintain your 1200 by eating back the calories burnt - I don't personally but then I zigzag my calorie intake anyway - I have just made it my mission to burn 500 calories a day with exercise
  • bkennedy1612
    Options
    I'm in! I usually burn between 500-800 a day with different activities depending on the day :) But I would love to maintain at least 500 burned.
  • mariedingle
    Options
    I'm going to try that!!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Quote "You need to burn 3500 more calories than you take in to lose one pound. You can do this by exercising, dieting, or a combination of both. The easiest way to break this down is to think of it on a daily basis. You need to burn 500 more calories than you eat each day."

Make sure you aren't taking this out of context...

Its not 500 calories less than 1200 its 500 calories less than your maintainence calories. for instance

(JUST AN EXAMPLE)

1800 calories (eat this to neither gain nor lose weight)

Then you work out and burn the 500 calories and this would bring you down to

1300 calories (1800 - 500 = 1300)

-500 x 7(days a week) = -3500 calories a week deficit which equals one pound lost

MFP already does this for you. So you are ALREADY eating at 500 calories less than your maintainence calories.

You dont' want to eat at the 1200 calories and then exercise 500 a way, and then not eat that back..

The concept is NOT burn 500 of the calories you eat. It is Burn 500 calories of your maintainence calories. Does that make sense?
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I will join you! That is usually my goal everyday so hopefully with someone else doing the same thing it will make it a little easier.

Barb
  • Baileys83
    Options

Make sure you aren't taking this out of context...

Its not 500 calories less than 1200 its 500 calories less than your maintainence calories. for instance

(JUST AN EXAMPLE)

1800 calories (eat this to neither gain nor lose weight)

Then you work out and burn the 500 calories and this would bring you down to

1300 calories (1800 - 500 = 1300)

-500 x 7(days a week) = -3500 calories a week deficit which equals one pound lost

MFP already does this for you. So you are ALREADY eating at 500 calories less than your maintainence calories.

Was merely for motivation purposes, different people chose different ways of doing it regarding eating back the calories etc, I personally didnt eat my calories allowance before coming on here, was way under. Having something to work towards other than counting calories all day has got to be good for anyone. :smile:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My daily goal for exercise calories is also 500. I like to get this or more 7 days a week (that's the goal anyways!). I usually do circuit training of some kind in the morning (right now its 30DS) and use the elliptical. This is 400-500 calories burned between the two each day. I also love to jog and jog after work as many days as I can (typically striving for 3 miles - this is around 450 calories burned). Weekends I don't work out as hard but try to find other activities to get me to the 500 minimum for each day, like walks, swimming, playing basketball, etc.
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great. I'll join. I have to force myself everyday to get up and exercise. So I need this. I usually burn around 400, 500 it's gonna be better!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm thoroughly confused.

You're saying you want to only eat 500 calories a day?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

Was merely for motivation purposes, different people chose different ways of doing it regarding eating back the calories etc, I personally didnt eat my calories allowance before coming on here, was way under. Having something to work towards other than counting calories all day has got to be good for anyone. :smile:

It is just very misleading, and people might take it the wrong way and then eat 500 calories less than 1200 and then only be netting 700 calories, because that is dangerous and not healthy.

It just needed to be worded a little differently so people didn't get the wrong idea...
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm thoroughly confused.

You're saying you want to only eat 500 calories a day?

You serious Clark?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I read the post wrong.

OP- So how do you actually know what you are burning each day in a 24 hour period?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am trying for 3500 a week too. Burned 876 calories yesterday which is more than my goal for the week. After seeing that yesterday I decided to aim for 3500 to burn a week. Running, elliptical, Zumba, baseball, swimming will get me there in no time.
  • Baileys83
    Options
    All I am aiming to do it burn 500 calories in the exercise on here - nothing more, nothing less, that simple. It is a personal goal that I thought other people might be intereste in hearing about and doing themselves. I didn't mean for it to turn into a song and dance.

I PERSONALLY do not eat back the calories I burn - I zigzag my eating between the 1200 and 1600 calories but do not eat back the calories I burn through exercise. In answer to someone's question no I can not track exactly what I burn each day but I can make an effort to burn an extra 500 calories on top of bimbling round the house.

I follow this belief, quote "However, you should not consume less than 1200 calories per day if you are dieting for extended periods. Diets which are less than 1200 calories per day are not nutritionally adequate and over a period of time, you may not be getting enough of certain nutrients."

I AM consuming at least 1200 calories a day, I AM eating enough nutrutionally and am getting the certain nutrients needed - I am just choosing to burn them off AFTER the goodness has been absorbed by my body as a pose to sitting around.
  • Jenna5890
    Jenna5890 Posts: 11
    Options
    I was also planning on starting this as of tomorrow! I found a great treadmill workout that I'm going to attempt.

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Burn-500-Calories-Treadmill-7194144
  • kyleesmythe
    kyleesmythe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a polar watch with a chest strap that allows you to track the amount of calories you burn during exercise, so there is no guess work required.
  • _dinorah
    _dinorah Posts: 11
    Options
    I make it a goal of mine to burn at least 1,000 calories a day 6x a week. Dx It's summer vacation so I have plenty of time to just workout lol.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Lol it's a lot easier to just eat 500 below than to try to burn an extra 500 everyday.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    All I am aiming to do it burn 500 calories in the exercise on here - nothing more, nothing less, that simple. It is a personal goal that I thought other people might be intereste in hearing about and doing themselves. I didn't mean for it to turn into a song and dance.

I PERSONALLY do not eat back the calories I burn - I zigzag my eating between the 1200 and 1600 calories but do not eat back the calories I burn through exercise. In answer to someone's question no I can not track exactly what I burn each day but I can make an effort to burn an extra 500 calories on top of bimbling round the house.

I follow this belief, quote "However, you should not consume less than 1200 calories per day if you are dieting for extended periods. Diets which are less than 1200 calories per day are not nutritionally adequate and over a period of time, you may not be getting enough of certain nutrients."

I AM consuming at least 1200 calories a day, I AM eating enough nutrutionally and am getting the certain nutrients needed - I am just choosing to burn them off AFTER the goodness has been absorbed by my body as a pose to sitting around.

I think the other poster was just attempting to clarify it for another poster. If a person is wanting to lose 1 lb per week then it isn't necessary to both burn an additional 500 calories a day and eat at a calorie deficit. It is obviously up to each individual as to what their goal is.